thin with stomach fat. plz help!

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    They weren't beating you up. If anything, Reality's post looked like he was looking for clarification, while Lishie offered YOU clarification. Some people do think things like Chaelean Extreme are heavy lifting, and come back disappointed when they don't get the results they were looking for!

If you know it isn't heavy lifting, it was odd to share it in a thread that has become essentially about strength training, hence their posts, I assume! It'd be like if I went into a running thread and said, "Wow, great results! I'm going to start swimming now because I'm inspired!" Sure, it's great to be inspired to a physical activity, but if it's out of place, it's going to look kind of irrelevant, haha!

If it gets you started, great! But if you really want to achieve results from heavy lifting, try programs like Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I see your point. Perhaps I am simply being overly sensitive, come to think of it, my husband might have mentioned that recently...:laugh:

I guess I was just kinda surprised by how the post was taken. Was just trying to give her a thumbs up and show she is an inspiration, even if it inspired something a bit different than what she was doing to achieve those results. Kinda weird I guess, but I am weird by nature so it kinda fits.

If weight lifting is not an option, try looking into a bodyweight routine. Some of the more common ones are Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, Nerd Fitness, etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    pick up a copy of starting strength or new rules of lifting for woman and then build a lifting program around compound movements and lifting progressively heavier. compound movements = squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, pull ups/chin ups…once you have these moves down incorporate them into a three day a week routine that looks like…

monday - chest/arms
    tuesday - cardio
    wens - legs
    thurs - cardio
    frirday - back shoulder
    sat - off
    sunday - free day/active rest

you might also want to adjust your calorie intake so you are either maintaining or at a slight - 10% - deficit...

Thanks for the blue print on what I should be doing! Thanks for the add also. My current calorie intake is set to 1200 I think if I up it to maintain my weight, it goes up to 1600. Which to be perfectly honest, kinda scares me haha

you are going to need to eat to put on some muscle and get out of the "skinny fat" problem that you have identified...

My suggestion....pick a program, up your calories to 1400 a week for two weeks and see how it goes...look at this way...One service of ice cream is 230 calories....I think you can eat one servicing of ice cream a day for two weeks....after two weeks, go up to 1600 and see how that goes, and then go into slight surplus...trust me, you will like the results...
  • wantcandy
    wantcandy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Killer Abs
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    LOL, and then ten people respond saying the same thing increasing the possible perception of ganging up. All true though.
    lol i was busy thinking about what i wanted to say with the quote box open and had not seen the other posts while i was writing my response.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    I see your point. Perhaps I am simply being overly sensitive, come to think of it, my husband might have mentioned that recently...:laugh:

I guess I was just kinda surprised by how the post was taken. Was just trying to give her a thumbs up and show she is an inspiration, even if it inspired something a bit different than what she was doing to achieve those results. Kinda weird I guess, but I am weird by nature so it kinda fits.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    NO
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I will bookmark them for a later date when I am needing a change. Not really looking for a different program at the moment though. Like I said, I actually had awesome results with Chalean Extreme but got pregnant half way into the program and was forced to stop because my doctor put me on bed rest. I personally saw great gains in strength (I was pretty weak before though) and lost a lot of inches in all the places I needed to (stomach etc).

I also just recovered from what my doc said was a dislocated pelvis from giving birth. My doc cleared me for a couple of my previous workouts and so for now I am sticking with those until I am feeling stronger. I think it is awesome that so many women are lifting heavy and hope to be there some day, but for now what I have is working. Like I said before, I was just trying to give her a thumbs up in my own weird way.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Mashed banana ice cream

I can say random things too!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    NO

QFT.
    Jeepers
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No. :angry:

NONONONONONNONONONONONONONONONOONO. STAP

ETA: If you have used this program and had results, let's see them.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    LOL, and then ten people respond saying the same thing increasing the possible perception of ganging up. All true though.
    lol i was busy thinking about what i wanted to say with the quote box open and had not seen the other posts while i was writing my response.

I do that all the time, always late to the party :sad:
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Another vote for heavy lifting! I just finished the first stage of NROL4W and I'm loving it! The scale hasn't been my friend and is alllllll over the place (I know, I know, I should just throw it out >.<) BUT the mirror has been saying good things :)

Heavy lifting. You will LOVE the changes!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I will bookmark them for a later date when I am needing a change. Not really looking for a different program at the moment though. Like I said, I actually had awesome results with Chalean Extreme but got pregnant half way into the program and was forced to stop because my doctor put me on bed rest. I personally saw great gains in strength (I was pretty weak before though) and lost a lot of inches in all the places I needed to (stomach etc).

I also just recovered from what my doc said was a dislocated pelvis from giving birth. My doc cleared me for a couple of my previous workouts and so for now I am sticking with those until I am feeling stronger. I think it is awesome that so many women are lifting heavy and hope to be there some day, but for now what I have is working. Like I said before, I was just trying to give her a thumbs up in my own weird way.

CLX is a great program for someone who has weight to lose. Unfortunately, it's a terrible program for someone who needs to gain mass like the OP does. I will say, I like the program because depending on which phase you are in, reps are either 8-12 or 6-8 and many of the moves are compound lifts. So you will get strong, but probably not a strong as other programs.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I liked reading New Rules of Lifting for Women but when it came time to follow the program it seemed like too much variety for me and changes in the program...if you like that, great.

This is so interesting - the first 16 workouts are only doing 10 exercises (5/day) total - so I didn't think it was a lot of variety at all! Maybe because I'm only on stage 1? :flowerforyou: At $15 it was a lot cheaper than getting a PT. For me, I was going to the gym, and using weights but without a plan, which probably was a waste of time so I'm happy to have a roadmap.

I'm interested to see how/if my body changes in six months! I hope I have results like some of the amazing posters here.:heart:
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

CLX is a great program for someone who has weight to lose. Unfortunately, it's a terrible program for someone who needs to gain mass like the OP does. I will say, I like the program because depending on which phase you are in, reps are either 8-12 or 6-8 and many of the moves are compound lifts. So you will get strong, but probably not a strong as other programs.

Great point. I wasn't really thinking about the OP when I posted. Was kinda spastically posting cause I was so excited. oops :ohwell:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I liked reading New Rules of Lifting for Women but when it came time to follow the program it seemed like too much variety for me and changes in the program...if you like that, great.

This is so interesting - the first 16 workouts are only doing 10 exercises (5/day) total - so I didn't think it was a lot of variety at all! Maybe because I'm only on stage 1? :flowerforyou: At $15 it was a lot cheaper than getting a PT. For me, I was going to the gym, and using weights but without a plan, which probably was a waste of time so I'm happy to have a roadmap.

I'm interested to see how/if my body changes in six months! I hope I have results like some of the amazing posters here.:heart:

In part, yes. When you get to Stage 2, you change things. And then change some more for Stage 3... It's not bad, it's just needlessly complicated, IMO. That, and 10 different exercises can be quite a bit, if you're new to lifting. Programs such as StrongLifts and Starting Strength (depends on which version, exactly, you do) has 5 or 6 different lifts total. It's not until you get to an intermediate phase where you'll move on to something such as 5/3/1 (or whatever) and add in some assistance/accessory lifts. And at that point, you'll have enough experience with the "big" lifts such that you can easily learn a handful of new (likely "easier") lifts.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options

Great abs!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    With people who are underweight, it's extremely common for them to still have higher amounts of body fat. So if you want to get a flat stomach, there is a strong chance you will need to build the muscle back up that you lost. You can do this with a bulk phased followed by a cut. This means you would need to eat a surplus to gain weight (mass) and then after 8-12 weeks, drop calories to just below maintenance to lose any new fat you gained.

The alternate option is eating at maintenance and try strength training to lose body fat and maintain muscle, but this is definitely the long approach. I worked with a woman where she ate 2100 calories on lifting days and 1800 on non lifting days, and it took a year to go from 26% body fat down to 18% body fat. So it can be done, but it's definitely long.

Would you mind sharing what program she followed, Psulemon?

Also, good luck OP! You've gotten some good advice in here, especially from Cranq and Psulemon. I've been in your place (same height, lower weight), and just keep going down, never being happy with my stomach.

I'm 139 right now and with a flatter stomach than when I was 100, so weight training does wonders (to self-esteem, too!).

Sorry I wasn't ignoring your question, but reconfirming details. The person I worked with ate 2200 calories on exercise days and 1800 on rest days. She did crossfit 5 days a week and rested two days. Overall, she lots 3 lbs during the whole process, so it was more of a recomp. Her body was actually went from 26% to start, down to 16% currently. This was confirmed using a hydrostatic body fat tester.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    With people who are underweight, it's extremely common for them to still have higher amounts of body fat. So if you want to get a flat stomach, there is a strong chance you will need to build the muscle back up that you lost. You can do this with a bulk phased followed by a cut. This means you would need to eat a surplus to gain weight (mass) and then after 8-12 weeks, drop calories to just below maintenance to lose any new fat you gained.

The alternate option is eating at maintenance and try strength training to lose body fat and maintain muscle, but this is definitely the long approach. I worked with a woman where she ate 2100 calories on lifting days and 1800 on non lifting days, and it took a year to go from 26% body fat down to 18% body fat. So it can be done, but it's definitely long.

Would you mind sharing what program she followed, Psulemon?

Also, good luck OP! You've gotten some good advice in here, especially from Cranq and Psulemon. I've been in your place (same height, lower weight), and just keep going down, never being happy with my stomach.

I'm 139 right now and with a flatter stomach than when I was 100, so weight training does wonders (to self-esteem, too!).

Sorry I wasn't ignoring your question, but reconfirming details. The person I worked with ate 2200 calories on exercise days and 1800 on rest days. She did crossfit 5 days a week and rested two days. Overall, she lots 3 lbs during the whole process, so it was more of a recomp. Her body was actually went from 26% to start, down to 16% currently. This was confirmed using a hydrostatic body fat tester.

Ah, I saw you responded and hoped it was to me! Wow, I'm still sitting here pouting because of what amazing recomp that was. Perhaps I really need to let myself hit "maintenance" for once.

Crossfit, though... (jk)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Ah, I saw you responded and hoped it was to me! Wow, I'm still sitting here pouting because of what amazing recomp that was. Perhaps I really need to let myself hit "maintenance" for once.

Crossfit, though... (jk)

haha, in all fairness, some people feel the same way about the beachbody programs I do.. so to each their own. And I can vouche for her pictures.. the transformation was crazy.