Anyone have Crohns/IBD...could use some motivation

Options
I've been searching the boards a lot this morning and reading old post about others who suffer from Crohns. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago and have about 100lbs to go. I've lost 16lbs but I started to get sick a few weeks ago and within the last week I feel like I'm in a full blown flare. It's so discouraging as I've been symptom free for the year since starting medication. Many people think you lose a lot of weight with Crohns/IBD but that's not always the case. I really struggle to lose weight and have actually gained a lb last week. It's so frustrating! I have an appointment with my GI doctor on Friday to talk about my medication and diet. Just looking for some motivation and inspiration. I know I don't have any other choice....I have to take of my body. Just feeling sorry for myself this morning.

Replies

• hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't have Crohns, but I have AI. Friending you now :)
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've never been diagnosed but struggle with some major stomach issues. I can tell you that making better food choices and portion sizes has immensely helped my issue from day one. Once you start feeling better and see the scale move in the right direction I promise you, you'll feel like you are on top of the world and will be motivated to keep it up. I really have to stick to a specific diet and cannot slip up. Last week I had lunch with my husband and was going to have a "treat" by having a tiny portion of soft serve ice cream as dessert and I was sicker than ever in less than an hour. Its just not worth it. You CAN do it. Log everything and remember that we didn't put the weight on in 2 weeks and its not going to fall off in 2 weeks.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I do have IBD. I have a lot of food intolerances and triggers. It's a constant struggle in my case, especially lately, to keep weight on. I wanted to put some muscle weight on but I can't bc I can't get enough calories in to maintain, much less gain. I'm looking for a new GI bc my current one is a douche who won't listen to me. I know it's a constant struggle whether you are trying to lose or gain because there are so many other factors in our lives.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have UC and found that portion control & eating frequently really help with symptoms/flare. I monitor which foods cause the most discomfort and simply avoid them. When I have a flare I decrease my workout to what I can stand at that time. No the scale don't move down as much as I want but I'm shedding inches and can tell in my clothes. Managing stress is also a major factor in managing flares. Don’t stress the fact that you have a condition and/or the scale isn’t moving; keep your mind on your goal, track your food and keep your GI informed to major changes in symptoms. :happy: Friend me if you want, my diary is open.
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do have Crohn's, and it was a struggle honestly until I added MFP and was able to keep a full diary of what I am eating.

Aside from feeling mixed feelings about food before eating it (huge red flag, just avoid that food at that moment), I use MFP to see what else could have triggered something.

I also have Gastroparesis, which causes the stomach to swell shut and not pass food into the small intestine. As much of a curse as that can be, it stops food that would otherwise trigger my Crohn's in the stomach, and I can get it ...forcibly reversed for 1 night of pain, rather than crazy drugs or the knife.

I have always had a struggle of losing weight, and my body absorbs protein a little poorly, but sucks up fat like there's no tomorrow. I was always the fat kid in school, and Crohn's didn't help me lose weight (I'm one of the few).

All in all, Crohn's is difficult, but keeping a smile on your face will make it easier. And so long as we all have smiles on, they will be contagious (seriously, the dumbest looking smiles are the most contagious!).

Good luck on your journey!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have heard of success with the paleo antiimmune protocol. It is a strict diet, but might be worth a try so see if it helps with your symtoms.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with UC about 4 years ago. I tried doctors and medication and more medication and regular colonoscopies and scopes. Nothing really made it better. Then my doctor started talking steroids and surgeries. That's when I fired him.

The whole speech about diet having nothing to do with IBD is total BS. I am no longer on any prescription drugs and managing my symptoms better than ever, spending most of my time symptom-free. Diet is the biggest factor. Then it's sleep, stress management, and exercise. I've tried every diet under the sun and finally found what works for me. Over-eating is a huge trigger and when I over-eat and start to feel my stomach hurt, I spend a few days under eating and juicing vegetables to get back to a good place. Eating processed foods is horrible for my UC too so I follow a clean diet (no processed or restaurant foods) as much as possible. Also you should be tested or do an elimination diet to search for food allergies. I know it's a fad right now, but it's trendy for a reason. Cutting out dairy and gluten have completely changed my life as they were major causes of bloat and indigestion and I had no idea! I also limit my caffeine and alcohol as much as possible (drinking none is ideal) and got off birth control to get my body back to basics.

For positivity and motivation I always go to my nutritionista and favorite blogger Meghan Telpner. She has been living 100% symptom free after being diagnosed with Chron's Disease about 10 years ago. She's a great inspiration and has helped me find my own way of dealing with IBD that works for me. She's also just a bright ray of sunshine and positivity which is key when dealing with dark, scary disease things. Check her out:

http://meghantelpner.com/about/meghan-telpner/
  • aremai4_27
    aremai4_27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and for the longest time I didn't do anything about it. But a friends told me to start taking a probiotic. I've been taking Nature's Finest 10 strain 30billion unit probiotic since Thursday, and haven't been having any of the usual problems that I used to.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    my mom has Crohns since 1988. it is bad news. she been through hell but you can lose weight. hang in there
  • amrluvarr
    amrluvarr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and motivation! Back on track today- going to start tracking my symptoms based on what I'm eating and try to really cut down on the processed foods!
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with UC about 4 years ago. I tried doctors and medication and more medication and regular colonoscopies and scopes. Nothing really made it better. Then my doctor started talking steroids and surgeries. That's when I fired him.

The whole speech about diet having nothing to do with IBD is total BS. I am no longer on any prescription drugs and managing my symptoms better than ever, spending most of my time symptom-free. Diet is the biggest factor. Then it's sleep, stress management, and exercise. I've tried every diet under the sun and finally found what works for me. Over-eating is a huge trigger and when I over-eat and start to feel my stomach hurt, I spend a few days under eating and juicing vegetables to get back to a good place. Eating processed foods is horrible for my UC too so I follow a clean diet (no processed or restaurant foods) as much as possible. Also you should be tested or do an elimination diet to search for food allergies. I know it's a fad right now, but it's trendy for a reason. Cutting out dairy and gluten have completely changed my life as they were major causes of bloat and indigestion and I had no idea! I also limit my caffeine and alcohol as much as possible (drinking none is ideal) and got off birth control to get my body back to basics.

For positivity and motivation I always go to my nutritionista and favorite blogger Meghan Telpner. She has been living 100% symptom free after being diagnosed with Chron's Disease about 10 years ago. She's a great inspiration and has helped me find my own way of dealing with IBD that works for me. She's also just a bright ray of sunshine and positivity which is key when dealing with dark, scary disease things. Check her out:

http://meghantelpner.com/about/meghan-telpner/

I cannot even begin to describe how healing it is for me to know that someone else is symptom free as well.

I have taken similar steps to yours, on my own, and it's comforting to know that someone else's symptoms were helped by similar methods. It's rare to find!

Thank you for the link, and good luck on your MFP journey!
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Ugh, I am so sorry about the condition. One of my good friends has Chrons and it just seems unbareable. I don't have too much advice for you but I wish you the best of luck and good health!
  • hunniebunn
    hunniebunn Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'll keep it short and sweet.
    25 years old and I have had Crohn's since (as my doctors have reported) 7. I was missing many of the symptoms as a kid so I was never fully diagnosed until I was 18. I have failed every medication that has come my way the last 7 years, so I am now prepping for surgery next month.
    I have had a lot of yo-yo with my weight depending on what my stomach was deciding to do. Was up to over 200 pounds, and got down to 152 last year after I was admitted in the hospital. I believe that weight fluctuation will always be an issue until you find a medication that will put you into remission (IT IS POSSIBLE! I was in remission for 2 years with Remecade). Like posters below have stated, it really has to do with your diet. I have cut out booze, pork, fried foods, many processed foods, no fast food, reduced garlic. Logging your foods are great because you can see what might have triggered a flare :)
    Wishing all my fellow chronies/ibs'ers much love, and am always up for friends <3
  • downlb
    downlb Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello...fellow crohnnie here and first timer posting on mfp...I've yo-yoed past few years because of meds etc and now trying to lose weight and keep it off and feel better....I'm down 22lbs from my heaviest and have a bit more to go...my new go to is green smoothies...they seem to make me feel better and minimize certain symptoms...good luck to ya!!! :)