Personal trainers

Options
Are they worth it?

I just joined a gym and of course they are pushing personal trainers real hard. They're expensive but I haven't written it off.

Would it be worth it to have someone create a plan for me, or is there enough info out there that I could figure it out myself?

Thanks!

Replies

• BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Could you get a consult with one for free?... just to test the waters and see if you like what they have to say... Our gym offers three free sessions. I haven't done it yet, but I will in the near future.

edited to add: I would pay depending on how comfortable you are at the gym. If you feel like a fish out of water around the equipment and weights, a trainer could be amazing in helping you find your way around. The weightlifting machines are really intimidating to me, so I plan on focusing in that area with a trainer.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on doing any strength training and are completely unfamiliar with proper form, etc, it might be a good idea to do at least a trial session and then think about how you'd like to proceed.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you are new to strength training , I think it's great for the one-on-one time to learn proper form. Not just that, but my personal trainer has taught me tons of different work out moves I probably wouldn't have though of on my own! :) I think they're worth it as long as you realize you have to still put in effort outside of your session...still have to keep working out, pushing yourself as hard as you can, and eat healthy.

You should look into it, but I believe at my gym they give you a two week grace period where you can cancel the sessions, and only have to pay for the ones you went to.
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Most trainers will give you a one-off freebie session. At least I do.

What a GOOD trainer can't (or won't do) in that session is write you up a long term program. It takes working with a person for up to a month or so before you can see how they respond to the workouts, their dedication to "homework" etc. Many gyms will also have testimonials from PT clients. I keep my "portfolio" of recommendations updated regularly.

Before you ask for a freebie, watch the trainers work with their clients, see how they interact, see what their clients are doing during the workout as in focus, form etc. Then find a trainer that appeals to you. Approach them and ask if you can get a demo session.

People watch trainers work with their clients all the time. To have a random member ask for a demo because they like what I am doing with people really is an honor and I appreciate that they are doing their homework.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    When I joined a new gym a couple years ago, I signed up for a few sessions with a trainer so I had someone to show me where everything is and how things work. I get a bit on anxiety in new situations, so having someone who knew what they were doing really helped. She was also able to teach me a lot of new exercises that I can now work into my own workouts.

I still work with her once a week, we had our 2 year anniversary in October :happy: My fitness would not be where it is today without her, and she still always has something new to teach me!

I highly recommend working with a trainer if finances allow for it, even if it's just for a few sessions. Some people can figure it out for themselves, I was not one of those people. I would've been so lost with weight lifting, and would've been stuck on the treadmill/elliptical because I didn't know what else to do.
  • amlynn16
    amlynn16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I started going to the gym, I spent the money on a personal trainer for a couple reasons, one being accountability because I was weighed and measured once a month and didn't want to show gain, and two, I was shown proper form for weights as well as shown new things to do that I can do on my own if I wasn't at the gym. You don't have to invest in a lot of sessions, but enough to hopefully show you how to do the proper forms on a lot of weights!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer might be worthwhile. It depends on your goals. Speaking of... What, exactly, are your goals? And by "exactly," I really mean - exactly.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If it's at a corporate gym-BE WARY!!!!

I would say that most of their personal trainers are not certified, have limited knowledge, may or may not help you reach your goals, and many of them are salesman- not trainers.

Additionally they generally have very very malicious contracts that will lock you in for an extended amount of time whether you are satisfied or not.

DONT DO IT
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Some are fantastic, and some suck. I've been fortunate that the ones I've worked with listened to my goals, where I was, and where I wanted to be, and set up great plans for me to get there. And I love that I leave feeling precariously close to vomiting. I know I got my money's worth.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it and have a hard time working out alone, then yes, they are worth it as they are an investment into yourself.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of FREE Information out there. And free Apps. Almost every muscle mag out there has a website, with plenty of routines, but start with the basics, and keep it SIMPLE. Make friends, or ask friends or co-workers to help you get established. (Most gyms will let someone workout for $5 or so, so pay for your buddy to come two or three times, it will be cheaper than a trainer.

Now if that is not your cut of tea, fine hire a trainer for a session or two, to help you set a program. (One or two - you do NOT need one twice a week, indefinitely, that is the Gym making money. Though the first visit is free at a lot of gyms- kind of a welcome, and try me type of thing.) Then after you gets your legs under you, maybe in four to six months buy another session and have them fine-tune your workout a little.
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    I agree that you have to find the right fit - that being said, I absolutely LOVE my trainer and would be nowhere without her!!! She pushes me way more than I push myself, and continuously changes things up and keeps the workouts interesting and challening. The expense is tough but it's been so worth it for me.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer a while ago that I loved to work with. I actually got 3 free sessions with him when I joined the gym. I liked working with him so much I ended up paying for more. He really kicked my butt and I learned a lot of good workouts from him that I still use now. In fact some of the equipment I've added to my home gym are based on workouts he taught me. I say try it out and see how you like having a trainer. It can be expensive but like the previous people have said, they may have a "try it out free" deal if you are questioning whether you really what to have a PT or not.
  • Mama2twocutekiddos
    Options
    Thanks guys! You've all given me a lot of great information.

I have one session today to see how it feels. I asked a lot of questions and he is a certified personal trainer, so that makes me feel good!

My goals- to lose weight (obvi) and to tone up. I know how generic haha. But really, I have quite a bit of fat to lose (I'm 5'7 at 215- ugh). I'm not so worried about a goal number as I am losing inches, but really I want muscles!! I want to have toned arms and muscular legs. And dat *kitten*! haha.

I've started eating very lean and clean over the last 2 weeks. I've lost 2lbs and 5 inches :noway: I probably need to find tune my diet a bit but from what I figured out my protein goal is 125g a day (which I hit) and I can't remember what my fat/fiber/carb goals are. Anyway it's written in my journal (I'm a pen and paper kind of gal, weird I know!)