Protein Bars that aren't actually candy...

Options

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Chicken on a stick
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I make my own protein balls that are dairy free and a lot cheaper than buying bars, especially the quest one (no offence to Quest, but on a uni budget they would be out of my league even if they didnt contain heaps of things im allergic to)

The recipe can be found here:

http://superallergyfood.blogspot.com.au/

Thanks for the link
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Try Larabars....You also get a full serving of fruit in some of them!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My fav. is Pure Protein. They're cheaper than most brands, fewer calories, and actually have more protein than carbs. For example, a Pure Protein peanut butter bar has 200 calories, 20 protein, and 16 carbs, 2 sugars. The Clif peanut butter bar has 270 cals, 20 protein, but 30 carbs, and 20 sugars. I'm sorry but, to me, a protein bar should have MORE protein than anything else. I find Pure Protein bars are one of the few who fit that profile. But, that's just a personal preference; depending on your exercise plan, eating plan, etc., more carbs and sugar may not be an issue for you (I have PCOS and am IR so I need the fewer carbs/high protein).

I usually find them at Safeway and often times they have them on sale for a buck a bar and they don't taste too bad at all. If you don't have Safeways in your area, you can always find them at Wal Mart or Target for about $6.50 - $7 for a box of 6 bars.

Quest bars, nutrition/calories wise are similar to P.P.; their cals are a little less (about 40 less) but their carbs/protein ratio are still higher but not too bad at all (25/20 ish); almost even and only 1 g of sugar. So they'd probably be a good option, too but I've never actually eaten one so I can't attest to taste.

Yup, and the chocolate deluxe ones even have a slightly better macro protein to calorie ratio, though 1 gram of carbs more but still only 2g sugars, 3g fat, so 44.5% protein
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My fav. is Pure Protein. They're cheaper than most brands, fewer calories, and actually have more protein than carbs. For example, a Pure Protein peanut butter bar has 200 calories, 20 protein, and 16 carbs, 2 sugars. The Clif peanut butter bar has 270 cals, 20 protein, but 30 carbs, and 20 sugars. I'm sorry but, to me, a protein bar should have MORE protein than anything else. I find Pure Protein bars are one of the few who fit that profile. But, that's just a personal preference; depending on your exercise plan, eating plan, etc., more carbs and sugar may not be an issue for you (I have PCOS and am IR so I need the fewer carbs/high protein).

I usually find them at Safeway and often times they have them on sale for a buck a bar and they don't taste too bad at all. If you don't have Safeways in your area, you can always find them at Wal Mart or Target for about $6.50 - $7 for a box of 6 bars.

Quest bars, nutrition/calories wise are similar to P.P.; their cals are a little less (about 40 less) but their carbs/protein ratio are still higher but not too bad at all (25/20 ish); almost even and only 1 g of sugar. So they'd probably be a good option, too but I've never actually eaten one so I can't attest to taste.

I have to agree. My personal trainer turned me on to Pure Protein. They taste way better than a quest bar and not nearly as many carbs. I usually keep them in my desk drawer. I'm out of Pure Protein today, so HALF a quest bar will have to do today, but I'm not at all happy about it!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I use Clif Builder's Bars. Love them.
  • stephaniemarie416
    stephaniemarie416 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about ordering some quest bars, but they are expensive! What are the best flavors?

I agree, they are expensive, but they are "better" than most of the protein bars on the market. I have tried several of the flavors, but many of them are sweetened with sucralose, which I try to avoid for the most part. They do have some from their "natural" line that are sweetened with stevia and sugar alcohols instead of artificial sweetener (sucralose).

For the naturally sweetened bars, my favorite flavors are double chocolate chunk (tastes kind of like a double chocolate cookie and has big chunks of chocolate) and cinnamon roll (I love this one heated up with a little cinnamon and low fat cream cheese drizzled on top). I like the coconut cashew and strawberry cheesecake flavors as well, but they're not as good as the other 2 I listed in my opinion.

For the artificially sweetened bars, the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor is amazing (as most people will agree) especially if you bake it in the oven for a few minutes or microwave it for a bit. It really does taste like a chocolate chip cookie. I also really like the new cookies and cream flavor. It has chunks of oreo-like cookie and white chocolate. I eat these as a "treat" on occasion even though they contain sucralose because they're too yummy to pass up!

You can always buy a couple of individual bars and give them a try before you commit to a whole box. Most people love them, but some also hate them. They sell them singly on the Quest website and bobybuilding.com

Good luck!
  • Yeah, Quest bars FTW.

This^^^^
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like the ALT Protein Bars, made by Larabar if I can't make them myself.
    The regular Larabars are good, not sure about protein content but here's a link where you can make them yourself.
    I have a tiny food processor I can make like 2 weeks worth for next to nothing.

http://www.budget101.com/copycat-clone-recipes/make-your-own-copycat-lara-bars-4047.html
  • Also,

they have peanut butter cups that are less calories than a reeses (not by much) but huge difference in sugars and protein!
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I made some of my own and I love them. You can add the flavors that are your favorite! (currently enjoying blueberry chocolate peanut butter...mmmmmm)

Clif bars are tasty, probably because the first ingredient in them is Organic Brown Rice Syrup (a sweetener). If you need some sugar go for it, but if you are just eating it for an on to go breakfast there could be better options.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to find a good line of Protein Bars that aren't really just a candy bar dressed in a package that says its healthy. A friend of mine referred me to Clif Bars, which seem decent - they taste pretty good anyway - but I was wondering if you guys might have some good suggestions for truly healthy protein bars that also don't taste like chalk. FYI I'm lactose intolerant, so if any of them are heavy on some kind of dairy product, please leave those out of your suggestions, otherwise I'd appreciate any input =)

clif bars are fairly carb loaded - I like them but usually when I'm on a long hike or snowboarding otherwise I don't use them as a "protein bar"

I highly suggest to maybe have hard boiled eggs or a protein shake and no you don't need milk use water. What exactly are you trying to get out of the "protein bar" will make a big difference.

There are also some awesome recipes online where you can make your own :)
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    in for QUEST BARS!!!!

perfect protein bar!!!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein. I can often pick them up for $1 each...and then I buy everything I can get.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Quest bars FTW.

^^ This
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with "candy" like protein bars? It takes care of the chocolate urge and it gives me the protein I need all in 1 bar. See ticker below, must be working and I love them. :drinker:
  • djflowerz
    djflowerz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like Powercrunch bars. They are high protein, low sugar, and I buy them on Amazon. The best flavors IMHO are Triple chocolate, Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Peanut butter creme. Chocolate mint is good too. Avoid the berry flavored one.
  • amygauv
    amygauv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dont Quest bars have whey protein in them? I thought whey protein often had lactose in it?

They have Whey Protein Isolate, which is lactose free. I contacted several reps and they ensured me that they're 100% lactose free. So for those lactose intolerants, we're good !
  • lilsmiley11122
    lilsmiley11122 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just "discovered" Quest bars, and I'm in love. They are so good I actually look forward to eating them, it's like eating dessert but getting 20g of protein for under 200 calories! I bought a variety box from Amazon and haven't tried all of them yet, but Apple Pie is definitely the best so far. :-)
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Quest! I like chocolate chip cookie dough & the new cookies & cream the best. I've also tried cinnamon roll, apple pie & vanilla almond torte (tastes like Bit 'O Honey candy, expect for the initial artificial sweetener taste, but it disappears quickly after the first bite). Quest bars have one of the best calorie to protein ratio, and the fiber content is an added plus on a higher protein diet!