Best phone for tracking MFP?

Options
I have a go phone. I'm ready to step into the new era where I can do more on my phone especially MFP. Can you help me pick one? I have no experience with fancy phones. I will want to use it for GPS too and weather tracking. Let me know what you have please and the pros and cons of your phone. Thanks.

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I have an HTC Android, but I've never had an iPhone so I am not really too sure how the Apple app is.

I can do everything I need to on my App. I actually prefer logging on my App, it is easier to find recent/frequent foods.

I cannot view/respond to message boards on the APP, that annoys me, but hardly anything to worry about.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    iPhones are very user friendly and I much prefer the Apple app to the Android app on my tablet, and I will never go back to having another type of phone, but honestly everyone who loves their phone is going to tell you it's the best for various reasons. My suggestion is to go into a store and play around with the demo phones and see which one you like the best. What may be awesome for one person may be the one that you hate the most.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Samsung galaxy s4, although the s5 is coming out in a few months o-^ It's one of the best androids out there, along with the HTC (one, I think.)
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (also available in a larger version) which has no problem with MFP but the general phone is much slower than my partner who has a Sony Xperia. As long as you get an Android of Apple phone, MFP won't be a problem and weather apps/GPS are available on all of these as well.

Probably more down to price than features by the sounds of it. Lots of comparisons online :)
  • leaner426
    Options
    I suspect any smart phone will work. I finally got a smart phone in December - an iphone 5c. Since I had an ipod it has been an easy transition. You can actually get smart phones on a month to month contract now. If you are really concerned you might want to try that first so you can try the different operating systems before committing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any Android or iPhone on the market will work great for MFP.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use the app on my iPhone and iPad with no problems. Very easy to use. I'm sure the Android app is just as friendly. My suggestion is this: go to the carrier store (whichever one you select) and play with both (if possible, if not, try a different carrier). That will be the best way for you to figure out which phone you will like and ease of use. The MFP app is just an add-on after that from the app store.

ETA: most carriers will also give you 30 days to try the phone out, if you don't like it, return for a different phone within 30 days.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I own a Samsung Note II and LOVE it! It is the closest phone to a tablet I can get! The screen was the largest available for a phone I could find at the time... (I like a large screen and I am not afraid to carry it!). It is an Android and I can do everything on it! My daughter owns an iPhone 4. She loves it but is waiting for me to upgrade to the Note III so she can get my hand-me-down. Personally, I would look into your service provider (ATT, Sprint, etc...) and see what is the best phone for the service... Not all service providers are created equal.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Before deciding on a phone first look at the carrier you want. Who has the coverage to best suit your needs? Plans that fit your needs and your budget? Sort those before the phone. A smartphone with a data plan is a decent investment. Paying full price the phones can cost $350 and way up. Plans can cost you upwards of $1k a year if you don't watch out.

Any Android or Apple phone on the market will work for MFP. I can't speak on windows phone.

Edit---I have an iPhone 5s and a Moto X on Verizon. I have no issues with MFP.

The Moto X is by far my preferred of the two for all my smartphone needs.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you've never used a smartphone, I would probably go with an iPhone. Although it's not my personal favorite, it's so ubiquitous these days you know it will be compatible with everything. Also, you can find deals on the iPhone 5 since the 5s just came out and I highly doubt you need the most advanced model for your first smartphone. Although a lot of my friends have traded in their iPhones for Androids recently, I still think it's the best for the average user.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The Moto X is by far my preferred of the two for all my smartphone needs.

Moto X brofist.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've used both a android and apple. Apple iPhones are easier for new smartphone users to use. The OS is just simpler and more intuitive to use. Android is more customizable and allows advanced things IiOS does not. But for new users or the technological challenged I think Apple is the way to go. I also believe their App Store is superior. Either platform will accomplish what you want.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I found the Apple MFP app to be better than the Android app. They've released a ton of new updates since I've switched though, so who knows! There are currently lots of glitches the with the Android app. I don't think use of the MFP app should be your deciding factor in a new phone though lol.
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I should've mentioned I have AT&T. I will ask for a 30 day trial use. That was a good suggestion!

I think I struggle with MFP usage because I don't use Facebook. I'm going to try and learn that too. I use my computer at work and like to "unplug" when I'm not working. I can't imagine liking this social networking thing. It feels like an invasion of privacy. BUT I need to lose weight so I'm raising a white flag of surrender and asking for help. :)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I should've mentioned I have AT&T. I will ask for a 30 day trial use. That was a good suggestion!

I think I struggle with MFP usage because I don't use Facebook. I'm going to try and learn that too. I use my computer at work and like to "unplug" when I'm not working. I can't imagine liking this social networking thing. It feels like an invasion of privacy. BUT I need to lose weight so I'm raising a white flag of surrender and asking for help. :)

Yeah, I keep MFP and FB totally separate.

Trust me, your Facebook friends don't give a whit about your diet or training. Keep them separate and don't bother your friends with it. Find friends who are interested in your progress on MFP.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    honestly everyone who loves their phone is going to tell you it's the best for various reasons.

Not me :tongue: If a good MFP app is a requirement, I would not recommend getting a Windows phone at this time.

I have a Windows Phone (HTC 8x) and would not recommend the MFP app at this time. I love everything else on my phone as much as I liked my Android, but the MFP app is too buggy and unstable since they released a new version last fall. I will note that the MFP Windows Phone app that existed prior to the update was great, but different than Android and iPad versions.

I have both an iPad and Android tablet and both versions of the MFP app work well for me when I am using those. As others have said, I would not necessarily select a phone/tablet based on the MFP app alone.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    I'm really happy with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I'm definitely an android user and can't stand the iPhone. My roommate has the iPhone and loves it. Go to a store and actually "test drive" each to see which you like more. I love the larger screen on the S4 as opposed to the iPhone (actually the larger screen is larger than a lot of phones out there). The processing speed is good on the S4 but that could just be the very slow processing speed on my phone prior to the S4.

I will say that once you switch to a Smartphone, there's a good chance that you'll start to wonder how you survived without one.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Since you already have experience with prepaid plans I'll throw out the Nexus 5, Moto X (about $350 each and both have LTE), or a Moto G ($179 but no LTE) as the best option for those looking to get an unlocked smartphone. All three run the latest (or almost latest maybe?) version of Android and can do everything you asked for. I have the Nexus 5 myself and it's a great phone.

As far as service, I would pair them (or any other unlocked phone for that matter) with the $45 unlimited talk/text/internet Straight Talk prepaid plan (all you do is order a micro SIM) or the $30 unlimited talk/text/100 voice min T-Mobile plan. In the long run this will save you a small fortune compared to going with a traditional carrier plan setup. Plus, you can buy a new phone at anytime and just swap out the SIM card without dealing with carrier BS.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Can you use the message boards on the mobile app? I've never been able to figure out how....
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Can you use the message boards on the mobile app? I've never been able to figure out how....

Nope, not that I've been able to figure you. You can reply to status comments though.