Gluten Sensitive? IBS? Advice?

Options
I'm going to the doctor Thursday but was asking for opinions or advice until then. I have a REAL problem with regularity and I don't know if this is an issue due to being sensitive to food or if it's IBS or what. Do any of you have a sensitivity to gluten? If so what are your symptoms? I feel like this is really hindering my weight loss which is frustrating. I know none of you are doctors and I'm not asking for a diagnosis, just advice or to see your experience. Serious answers only please.

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    My husband suffers from IBS and it's usually triggered by certain foods and then once it flares up it's bad for a little while. I don't think he has gluten intolerance but found when he cut the amount of grains that he would go longer without flare ups. On the other hand too much grease will also trigger a flare up. He is usually pretty regular...he typically has diarrhea and sometimes it happens where he has to go NOW, but that seems to vary with people with IBS. I've been wanting him to try taking a probiotic regularly to see if that helps at all.
  • amalzingsong
    amalzingsong Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Did they give him medication for the IBS? I've taken probiotics and that didn't help unfortunately :(
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have IBS :(

The good news is that it gets better - so long as you understand the food that flares up your IBS and stay away from it. In general roughage, especially beans et al are not good as they put a lot of strain on the digestive system. I personally find popcorn kills me - one bite and Im in for a long night.

Bread is fine for me so is dairy - if your problem is with bread it could be that it is not IBS.

Probiotics are awesome and they work but they take a long time before they do the job and you have to find the right one that works for you. Acidophillus does the trick for me. 3 billion cultures.

As for medications - I was on Mebeverine, it is basically like a panadol for your intestines. Whenever my IBS flares up I get horrible lower intestinal pains and cramps that can keep me up all night. Mebeverine is the only thing that works. But again you should taper off it otherwise your system can get hooked onto it.

There are 3 types of IBS (D, C and A) - only your doctor can diagnose you properly.

Also I would say give it time - it took me 3 - 6 months before the doctor was certain it was IBS. IBS is NOT an illness, it is just a set of symptoms, the underlying cause is really very different to different people, which is why this bloody thing is so hard to treat!!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Did they give him medication for the IBS? I've taken probiotics and that didn't help unfortunately :(

No he doesn't take any medications. My sister in law also has it and doesn't take any medications either...I'm not really sure if there is. Since IBS can have different causes and symptoms, the doctor will recommend what's best based on your symptoms. For example, they may recommend fiber supplements if you have constipation but obviously not for people who have diarrhea as a symptom.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    In 2007 I began a real battle with my stomach/ bowels... I had issues since I was 12 and the gluten had caught up with me - I became sick, the doctors could not tell me what was wrong - I dropped 3 sizes and people began to ask If I was eating! Hurtful and in pain, I self diagnosed IBS and began cutting out the gluten....

My best advice for you is to begin an elimination diet... first eliminate DAIRY (as those with IBS often have issues with this)
    See you how you feel... if you have Ibs, you will most likely have to COOK your veggies as RAW are hard to digest ....

After that, Begin a 2 week GLUTEN free diet - you must check ALL ingredients as SOUP, SAUCES and many other foods have WHEAT hidden in them!! You need to avoid PACKAGED food - this means more work...

Make sure you have enough fiber/water in your diet this is often what is missing in those which have slow moving bowels.. but be careful with the fiber! You need to avoid the wheat so Prunes could be your answer.
  • amalzingsong
    amalzingsong Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help! I actually have been having these issues for like a few years.... I just have been a little too embarrassed to go to the doctor. I always thought it was something I could fix by taking a laxative or something. I don't really know what causes a flare up. I know I do love pasta/rice/bread and dairy as well and sometimes that is a huge part of my diet. I don't know if that may cause it then? Just frustrating because I've been trying to lose a lot of weight and I feel like this is really holding me back.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help! I actually have been having these issues for like a few years.... I just have been a little too embarrassed to go to the doctor. I always thought it was something I could fix by taking a laxative or something. I don't really know what causes a flare up. I know I do love pasta/rice/bread and dairy as well and sometimes that is a huge part of my diet. I don't know if that may cause it then? Just frustrating because I've been trying to lose a lot of weight and I feel like this is really holding me back.

Cut back on gluten for a while and see if it makes any difference. The think about being GI is that it takes a little gluten and symptoms kick in. Doc can do a couple of blood tests and figure it out. Thank your lucky stars if its not GI and just IBS, that was the best news I ever heard, tried doing the Gluten Free thing for a while, boy that was tough! I also tried the diary free thing, that was less difficult but you'd be surprised at the amount of things that have traces of dairy or gluten but have no relation to either!
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-D and man, it's no fun. I second the elimination diet. It's very helpful. I've found that keeping a food diary helps, too. If you find yourself having issues, look to see what you ate the last couple of days. You'll see a pattern eventually and then you just cut out those foods. I also always get a flare up when I'm stressed out or anxious.

As for symptoms, since you asked... When my IBS is flared up I have horrible diarrhea (the 'D' in IBS-D), even worse stomach cramps, nausea, and sometimes vomiting. I take Imodium for the diarrhea and Bentyl for the stomach cramps. Usually that's enough, but sometimes if the vomiting is too bad I also take Phenergan. There are some fancy new IBS medications, but you may not need them if you learn your triggers.

Good luck, and best of health! IBS is no fun, and gluten intolerance seems just as bad. But with a little work you can totally manage your symptoms.
  • cerulence
    cerulence Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've had problems for a few years, and following a full check up with my doctor she told me that with what I ate (calories wise) I shouldn't put on weight like I did. so she asked me to cut gluten completely from my diet for a month but to keep my calories intake the same as before. She told me that if I lost between 1 and 10 lbs the test wouldn't be conclusive but if I did lose more, then it was proof my body couldn't process gluten normally. I had lost 22 lbs by the end of that month (as I said my calories intake was the same as before I started this test). So I can still eat some gluten but I have a limit as to how much of it I can eat . Oh, and I don't have those problems anymore.

(I'm sorry if there are any mistakes, English isn't' my first language.)
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've had problems for a few years, and following a full check up with my doctor she told me that with what I ate (calories wise) I shouldn't put on weight like I did. so she asked me to cut gluten completely from my diet for a month but to keep my calories intake the same as before. She told me that if I lost between 1 and 10 lbs the test wouldn't be conclusive but if I did lose more, then it was proof my body couldn't process gluten normally. I had lost 22 lbs by the end of that month (as I said my calories intake was the same as before I started this test). So I can still eat some gluten but I have a limit as to how much of it I can eat . Oh, and I don't have those problems anymore.

That's brilliant. I'm thinking of trying that. What better time to be gluten free than during the gluten free diet fad? lol
  • sazattack
    sazattack Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I removed gluten because it was aggravating my eczema. In 48 hours I had a noticeable difference in not only the pesky itchy rash, but also my energy level (sky high now), and I was thinking more clearly. I also find I'm sleeping better, which I wasn't expecting.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have IBS. I think it affects each individual differently. Lots of fiber is what helps me the most in addition to knowing my trigger foods. Corn is the death of me if I have too much of it and it's a very fine line. Also raw green vegetables. I tolerate gluten and dairy, some people do not.

Mine started when I was in 3rd grade but I was not diagnosed until I had my gallbladder out and my surgeon diagnosed me.

I do not take medication except for nausea, probiotics did not really make a difference. I do have other family members who have had bowel impactions related to IBS so it can get very serious.

When I do get a flare up I cannot roam too far from the bathroom for a couple of days. I hate to be graphic but it is what it is.

Good luck with your doctor.
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    If you are going to request testing for gluten intolerance - don't start gluten free now. Start researching now. I had a long process like most before diagnosis... If you start gluten free before testing it will alter the allergen results in the test, making a false negative result when really you might have one or two sensitivities. Only the blood test will show the antigen response to the gluten in your system - so if it's out or reduced in your system and you have the lab drawn it can come back negative.

Be persistent with your doctor, abdominal pain is hard to diagnose effectively. Be patient as they will probably order a battery of tests or try medications for reflux, etc... If you aren't satisfied or keep having bad episodes that land you in the ER, etc. then it's time to see a gastroenterologist and if you need a referral - your doctor will probably be more than happy to give you that referral sooner rather than later.

Take care - it's worth getting accurately diagnosed because if its not gluten - its much easier to just eliminate other problem foods. Let them guide you on an elimination diet so you'll be on the same page as them and they will know where you are at in the "plan" of treatment. At the same time, don't leave and never return and just suffer... that's no way to live either :)
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options

That's brilliant. I'm thinking of trying that. What better time to be gluten free than during the gluten free diet fad? lol

First of all - I think your english was fine!

Second - the one nice thing about the G-free fad - is that finally there are some good options out there that are more easily accessible... while still not cheap, they are less expensive off the grocers shelves than at health food stores, online specialty markets, etc. I don't use a ton of gluten free substitutes - but some are life savers since I don't have the time to bake from scratch most of the time! More child friendly choices out there too, its one thing for me not to eat pizza, but for kids to do without while all their friends do - not very fair... but something they learn to live with - even if they feel deprived.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For anyone suffering from IBS, check out The Specific Carb Diet as well as FODMAPS diet. Stick to one of these programs and you'll find out what your triggers are. Mine include sweet potatoes, high fructose fruits, dairy, gluten, preservatives and raw garlic. I find more as I continue to add food back to my diet.

Changed my life... went from years of painful, uncomfortable, near constant IBS to finally feeling normal again!