Calling All Those on a Low-Carb Diet!

Options

Replies

• TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow low-carbers!

I've been on MFP for about a year and a half but haven't participated in the social aspect of the site until now. I lead a low-carb, high-fat, wheat-free, sugar-free lifestyle - and I'd love for those of you who have a similar way of eating to add me as a friend on here. I am very diligent about updating my food diary and would love additional motivation to stay on track both nutrition- and exercise-wise. And I'd especially love to get some inspiration and ideas for new low-carb meals and snacks to add to my diet - from your food diaries. Thanks in advance! xo

That sounds great, but if you're going to be doing cardio, I would consider eating carbs. Glycogen is the primary form of energy for your body during endurance exercises, and you get it from carbohydrates. To be consistent with a good diet AND cardio, you should eat carbs to keep high energy levels!! Just eat complex ones

wrong
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    check out my diary if you like. a couple of quick ideas:

Meat Lasagna with grilled zuchinni, yellow squash, and or eggplant instead of pasta

Super-meaty chili - beef, pork, sausage, etc... with onions, chili peppers, bell peppers, various spices, beef stock and a little tomato - serve with cheese and hot sauce

bacon, bacon, bacon - for breakfast, snacks, to sprinkle over salad, in soup, and on vegetables. and save the grease - I save it from breakfast and sautee veggies in it for dinner

Roast Vegetables with olive oil and finished with parmesan cheese - works good with brussel sprouts, cauliflower, onions, asparagus, broccoli and probably many others

Buffalo Wings - I like to deep-fry, but baking works too. Sauce is simply Franks red hot sauce and butter. I also put this on chicken drumsticks or thighs.

Desert - Fage Plain Yogurt with almonds and super-dark chocolate (85-90% cocao)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Right now one of my favorite low-carb meal is Pizza, since i always want it. I take 1/2 of a chicken breast and pound it out to about 1/4" then broil/bake it.. i use this as my crust. i pat it dry then top it with all my favorite pizza topping (sliced tomatoes, spinach and fresh mozzorella) then bake it for about 10-12 more minutes. so yummy and satisfies my pizza craving. :)

http://imgur.com/a/NPd5e

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/1w0c52/meat_lovers_pizza/

this can't be real….
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Right now one of my favorite low-carb meal is Pizza, since i always want it. I take 1/2 of a chicken breast and pound it out to about 1/4" then broil/bake it.. i use this as my crust. i pat it dry then top it with all my favorite pizza topping (sliced tomatoes, spinach and fresh mozzorella) then bake it for about 10-12 more minutes. so yummy and satisfies my pizza craving. :)

http://imgur.com/a/NPd5e

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/1w0c52/meat_lovers_pizza/

this can't be real….

Sadly, it is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow low-carbers!

I've been on MFP for about a year and a half but haven't participated in the social aspect of the site until now. I lead a low-carb, high-fat, wheat-free, sugar-free lifestyle - and I'd love for those of you who have a similar way of eating to add me as a friend on here. I am very diligent about updating my food diary and would love additional motivation to stay on track both nutrition- and exercise-wise. And I'd especially love to get some inspiration and ideas for new low-carb meals and snacks to add to my diet - from your food diaries. Thanks in advance! xo

That sounds great, but if you're going to be doing cardio, I would consider eating carbs. Glycogen is the primary form of energy for your body during endurance exercises, and you get it from carbohydrates. To be consistent with a good diet AND cardio, you should eat carbs to keep high energy levels!! Just eat complex ones

The body is an awesome machine: gluconeogenesis

I know it can undergo gluconeogenesis, it just might be more effective (for the purposes of maintaining an interest in working out), to not stress the body so much suddenly.

agree, if i go low carb my gym performance goes to crap ….
  • chimbleysweep
    Options
    Hi there- I've been doing low-carb for about a month now, and I love it. Feel free to add me!
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Trying out low carb dieting for the first time. :)
  • Blushing_Brunette
    Options
    I keep my diet to a high-protein, low-fat, low-carb, and as-low-as-possible-in-sugar. My favorite thing to eat is Fage 2% Greek yogurt (I used to only eat the 0% but the 2% is so much tastier and creamier) The Greek yogurt isn't necessarily crazy low in carbs but I've read that for every gram of protein you intake you can deduct one gram of carbs from your intake. I've also learned to trust in some healthy fats for nutritional benefits since fat-free products usually have all types of other unnatural ingredients to supplement for the 'lack' of fat.

As far as low-carb, I cut out white breads, don't eat rice (except for the occasional sushi roll), I do eat a lot of salmon- broiled, smoked, raw.

The reason I even try to steer-clear of carbs personally is because I notice my body reacts negatively to them if I eat too much in a day. I usually feel tired and bloated with a swollen face and hands the next morning. Weird, but it taught me what to cut out of my diet. I do much better eating veggies since they're more hydrating.

We actually grow our own veggies at home in our garden (even here just right outside downtown San Diego! :happy:) so I usually whip up a large batch of ratatouille with eggplant, tomatoes, basil, rosemary, and bell peppers- all organically homegrown. I will also make a similar batch if veggies and simply add curry seasonings to change it up occasionally.

Low-carb is the life for me!
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I try to eat lower carb while keeping my calories in check. I've done keto but I don't really care for the side effects of the diet. My low carb diet consists of avoiding white stuff like potatoes, flour and sugar. Feel free to add me.
  • DonnaAnn64
    DonnaAnn64 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat new to Low carb..I've been fighting with my weight for a few years, after a substantial weight gain when I quit smoking. ... I absolutely Love "low " carb lifestyle. I am finding it a very easy way to eat. Im basically staying away from anything that is processed. Lots of fresh vegetables too! I walk 5 km at least 4 times at week.... I started this way of eating Jan 6th and am down 18 lbs!! I am aiming for at least another 30 ..then reassess how I am feeling. But so far I feel amazing , however I do need more dinner recipes.
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY....TRY THE CHICKEN PIZZA CRUST THING...OMG...my kids looked at me like I was crazy nuts....then asked if we could have it again...they really liked that each one got to have what they liked on it...they even had a friend over that I thought was going to bolt out the door when she heard what we were having...she asked me to tell her mom!!! my daughter did traditional and my son did "white" with ranch instead of red sauce!!!!
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Meeee ????
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Add me! I eat low carb and my boyfriend is type 1 diabetic, so I'm always challenging myself to be creative with low carb meals so we don't get a food rut. I log and comment daily, and my diary is open to friends.
  • robston
    robston Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There are some great low carb and keto support forums here on MFP.

Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto
    Reddit Keto Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1494-reddit-keto
    Low Carb / High Fat: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7705-low-carb-high-fat-lifestyle
    Low Carber Daily Forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

For recipes -
    DJ Foodie
    I Breathe I'm Hungry
    All Day I dream About Food
    Caveman Keto

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the group links!! Exactly what I was looking for!!
  • blauritson
    blauritson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for about three weeks now. I'm down 12 pounds with keeping my carb intake <30 grams of net carbs per day. Just wondering what success others have seen with gradually increasing their carb intake? How many net carbs were you able to consume and still continue to lose weight? I'm comfortable keeping my intake around 30 grams per day, but there are days, like last night, while out to eat with friends, that I would like to increase my carb intake slightly to enjoy a nice meal.
  • Leohound
    Options
    Hey! I'm Farah and I'm starting on my low-carb diet today. Ive done one before - in between my 2 kids and was very successful. Im optimistic about this time as well but looking for someone with similar goals and on a low carb diet for advice, support & suggestions for snacks, meals, etc. Congrats on your 12 lbs! I know that the toughest part for me will be this 1st few days and then. . . . THE WEEKENDS!!! I can do this - I know I can, but, as I said, just need a go-to for support, etc.
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    I am commenting here so that I can come back and try all these recipes.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

That's such a good idea! I never thought of doing anything like this!
  • Justmeneacy
    Justmeneacy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this it sounds yummy
  • Kimeanb74
    Kimeanb74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love the chicken breast pizza idea!!! I love pizza and I'm always trying to satisfy that craving while staying low-carb. I've not been doing low-carb long at all...anyone open to friends feel free to add me. I share my food diary and love that others do too, good way to come up with food ideas. Thanks all! :flowerforyou: