Tough Day!

Options
This topic has nothing to do with weight loss. I just wanted to share a personal story. I am a math teacher at a small college in Georgia. Over the weekend, with all the bad weather I learned one of my favorite students got killed when his house burned down. The family lost everything and are needing donations. We called this student the Gentle Giant. It was very tough getting this news. Please do not take any of your days for granted and live life to the fullest. We never know when it will be our last day! RIP Q!

Replies

• Rebstoff14
    Rebstoff14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    SO sorry to hear of the loss of your student, that's very sad!
  • MadMath
    Options
    Thank you!
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That is very sad. Very sorry to hear it
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thats devestating news. It really is a wake up call of what our priorities in life should be and that each day is a gift.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    How incredibly sad - I am so sorry to hear. Most people don't realize the impact students lives have on those who teach them whether at the primary or collegiate level. All teachers and administrators are easily impacted, esp. by the well-liked students. Definitely enough to make you want to stop and love the ones you're with!!!
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That is really rough to lose someone so young - and close to your own age. Do something positive to remember him
  • MadMath
    Options
    I am fairly new teacher so I am 25 and he was 19. So very close to my age. His mom came by the school to let us know and I got the chance to talk with her and it is just a sad sad situation.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to the family and the community.
  • MadMath
    Options
    thank you for the kind words!
  • MadMath
    Options
    If anybody has any ideas on what I might could do to remember him or if I should do something for the family please let me know! Thanks!
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If anybody has any ideas on what I might could do to remember him or if I should do something for the family please let me know! Thanks!

Maybe something on the school grounds like plant a tree or a bench with a memorial plaque on it? Maybe a scholarship in his name or a day designated as his day around the school?
  • MadMath
    Options
    I just wanted to brag about my student that got killed in his house fire. He actually had safely come out of the house but went back in to try and save his uncle. Unfortunately neither of them were able to make it out. But I am so proud of my student and he is forever a hero.
  • mel5580
    mel5580 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That is so very sad..I am so sorry :(
  • WideAsleepMom
    Options
    That is so sad. I'm sorry.
  • AnyankaSigrun
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss and for the family's loss as well. This will never go away for them but it will get better, eventually. Two years ago I and my family lost everything in the wild fires here in Reno, we got out but lost pets and had only what we were wearing. It is hard not to cry as I type this 2 years later. The family needs everything and has to deal with the loss of family as well, that is an unbelievably dark and scary place. Mostly they need money and lots of it. The kindest thing someone did for us was to make us a home cooked diner a week after the fire. We actually felt human that night. Good luck! I am so very sorry.

Sheryl
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that! Sending prayers