help! Tight hamstrings after walking

Options
My primary exercise (for now) is walking. I started walking in Nov 2012 and have worked up to daily 2.5+mile walks at a 3.8-4.0mph pace and a weekly 6+mile hike on Saturdays. I love walking and am training w/ C25K. My only complaint is the tightness in my hamstrings!

This tightness is a recent occurrence and started shortly after I got fitted for new shoes to address my supination issues. I don't know if the corrective action of my new shoes has put increased strain on my hamstrings or what. My hamstrings just feel tight and I get stiff after sitting for any length of time.

I don't stretch before or after my walks, but I do a "cool down" for about 1/2mile (8-10min) after intense walking. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The sad truth is that we start losing flexibility in out teen years and as we get more experienced in life the need to stretch increases (even in the absence of a regular exercise program).

It may also be a hip or glute weakness manifesting itself as your distances increase.

Check out yoga and hip/glute videos on runnersworld.com (don't worry, you don't need to be a runner to benefit from these)

Dave Scott (6 time Ironman champion) also has some excellent videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJPb4-YOmc
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    The sad truth is that we start losing flexibility in out teen years and as we get more experienced in life the need to stretch increases (even in the absence of a regular exercise program).

It may also be a hip or glute weakness manifesting itself as your distances increase.

Check out yoga and hip/glute videos on runnersworld.com (don't worry, you don't need to be a runner to benefit from these)

Dave Scott (6 time Ironman champion) also has some excellent videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJPb4-YOmc

Can this be remedied by strength training? Squats?
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If it started after the new shoes, I would bet it is based on the new fit and/or the way it makes your legs move in a different way. Shoes are a tricky thing - it may just be changing your stride and your hamstrings will adjust, or it could be something more serious. I notice a ton of difference when I wear different shoes and have had a similar experience, but with my calves.

I would keep an eye on it and see if it is getting better/worse with time. Also, some good hamstring stretches during the day could help.