Running shoes

Options
Hi. I have been at the gym the last 2 months and I just started some treadmill training and I'm beginning to run. I'm a bigger guy 6' 4" 300 lbs wondering if anyone had some good shoes they recommend as the ones I've been using are getting worn out pretty bad and I need some new ones. Thanks!

Replies

• shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a store that specializes in running shoes and have them fit you. Well worth it.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I posted this same question a few weeks ago. I live out in the middle of the boonies and didn't have access to a running store, other runners or knowledgeable shoe merchants.

If you have a runner's store near by, go there first! NOT sporting goods, a legit running store.

Someone recommended Runner's World shoe finder. I answered a number of questions and it recommended a shoe for me based on my stats.

I found the shoes online and ordered them, had them delivered a few weeks ago. I LOVE THEM! They were exactly what I needed and have corrected a lot of my running issues.

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a store that specializes in running shoes and have them fit you. Well worth it.

Yup. Worth finding a store that will properly fit you. It's all about how YOU run and how YOUR foot works. A shoe that works for one person may be completely wrong for another.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options

I completely agree with this. For a long time, I got by with whatever shoes were on sale and colorful. That took its toll after awhile, and I ended up with a foot injury (I think from repeated usage of worn out/slightly too big shoes on a cement surface). After that point, I went to a running store and got properly fitted. I've never had any problems since. They can analyze your stride, how you distribute your weight throughout your foot, etc, and make recommendations specifically for you.

I bought my first pair at the running store, as I wanted to "thank" them for taking the time to measure me, etc. Now that I know which kind of shoes work for me, I have been able to find subsequent pairs much more cheaply online. I think it's very well worth the initial investment of going to a running store.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are completely individual to the person wearing them. We all have different feet (arch, width), different running styles (pronate, etc.) and are of different sizes. Definitely either visit a running store that will analyze your running gait and foot specs or visit the Runner's World or Roadrunner Sports websites to get the exact type of shoe you need. It'll make a big difference.
  • rjainume
    Options
    Hi jguarino24,

Running shoes is not a requirement for beginner runners. I would suggest to try bare foot running for couple of weeks. Bare foot running is totally safe with much less injury rate. Running with shoes, runner tends to step heavily which put lot stress on joints and can cause number of injuries. But running bare foot, you body will tell you when you are pounding heavily so automatically you will run gently with better posture.

Give barefoot running a try.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I have a couple pairs of New balance minimus running shoes that I love. I purchased them online.
    I'm morbidly obese and have wide flat feet. I also drank the "barefoot running" coolaid.
    If youre not into the minimalist think then definitely goto a running store to try on shoes and find what you like best.

ETA: Born to Run is a cool book to check out if you are interested in more natural running stuff. It is definitely rather one-sided, but a good read.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Hi jguarino24,

Running shoes is not a requirement for beginner runners. I would suggest to try bare foot running for couple of weeks. Bare foot running is totally safe with much less injury rate. Running with shoes, runner tends to step heavily which put lot stress on joints and can cause number of injuries. But running bare foot, you body will tell you when you are pounding heavily so automatically you will run gently with better posture.

That may work for some, but that's not something I would do or recommend to anyone. I'm not trying to start a fight here, but I just don't think that's for everyone.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    smiles definitly do not worry about looks...worry about what feels the best!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running and interested in shoes here are some basics on finding the right shoe. As many suggested, find a running store and get fitted with a gait analysis is highly suggested. I am lucky to have a Fleet Feet store nearby that does this type of fitting/analysis. They are a chain and well worth looking to see if one is local to you. if not, google "running specialty store" and see if one is nearby.

Getting properly fitted includes the typical poot your foot on this thing to check for length and width. But a good running store will also do gait anlysis. That is when they have you run on a treadmill and video you and then playback how your foot strikes the ground. Your gait refers to your natural running form and includes your pronation. Pronation is refering to when your foot strikes the ground, do you tend to land inside of your foot causing it to roll out, or does your foot tend to land on the outside part of your foot causing it to roll in. Does your ankle create a curve as you are landing. These are all pronation issues that would be addressed with a higher stability shoe. High stability shoes are heavier and provide more support. But they are also more expensive. I first got ASIC Gel-Keyano 19's at a Burling Coat Factory because they were a great deal. Originally proced at $150 but I got them for $50. I later on got my feet properly fitted and gait analyzed. I walked in with my gel keyano's. I was told, those are a very good high stability shoe. After the guy did the analysis (I ran on a treadmill with what are called nuetral shoes for 30 seconds). He then showed me on the video how my left foot curves in a just so slightly as I am landing. He said that my high stability shoes are not necessary, but also does not hurt my training either. They are perfectly fine for training. Now if I wanted to, I could get mid stability shoes which are lighter and a little cheaper than high stability shoes. However, he warned me that nuetral shoes, especially in high milage would be very risky for me. I went to the Outlets this weekend and stepped into the Nike Store. They had Nike Lunar-Eclipse 3's on sale for $45. I asked the guy if they were a stability shoe and that I normally wear the Gel Keyano's which are a high stability shoe. He said the Lunar Eclipse is a step lower in stability but offer a good support. He also showed me the Nike Structure ($70 on sale) which is a high stability running shoe which is comprable to my Gel Keyano's. Since I knew my gait analysis, I went with the cheaper Nike Lunar-Eclipse shoes. Also, some people tend to land on their heels and roll forward and push off with their toes. We call them heel strikers. Some running shoes provide extra cushion for heel strikers. Some people are toe strikers or midsole strikers. Knowing how you land (part of gait analysis) will help determine what kind of shoe will work best for you. Then there is your arch type. Basically, you look at the bottom of your foot. Do you have more meat on your heel and balls of your feet creating a high arch? Maybe not as much meat causing a low arch. or maybe you are flat footed. All your good running shoes have removable insoles. You can buy special insoles according to your arch type and replace the generic manufactuer's insole.

Last but not least is socks. Do you get blisters a lot? Maybe it is because of your socks. Your generic athletic socks are mostly cotton and will not properly absorb your sweat. This will cause your feet to chave and rub against the inside your feet needlessly. It is well worth getting running socks that breath very well and prevent your feet from rubbing too much inside thus cutting back on the blisters. My wife had 3 different running shoes and no matter what shoes she got, she always got blisters. The guy at the running store suggested running socks and the blisters never came back on her.
  • leslie_shoemaker
    leslie_shoemaker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest going to a running store and being fitted. But I have normal width feet but a high arch and I wear Brooks. I really like them. I have just started running and will run my first race on Saturday. I don't know that Brooks are really made for high arch but I like them. I wasn't fitted for these, I bought them at a large sporting goods store.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options

I'm with you although I didn't quite go barefoot, just minimalist. I couldn't take running on gravel in barefeet. When I first started running I bought some water shoes (because I was cheap) and ran in those. As I got into running more and discovered terms like "minimalist" and such I realized there was a whole world of thinking on running shoes that runs (heh) counter to what many running stores push. Many experts consider terms like "over pronation" to be a bad term (http://runblogger.com/2014/02/asics-super-j33-how-a-running-shoe-changes-barefoot-gait-mechanics.html).

I had my daughter in to a high end running store and the shoes they put her in were pure torment. We have a "natural" running store nearby (two rivers treads in shepherdstown, wv) owned by an MD who took a look at my daughter's stride on the treadmill and then gave her some exercises to strengthen the weakness causing her problems and she's been doing fine ever since, usually running in minimalist shoes but definitely not motion control shoes (which is what many running store employees want to put me in too even though I've never had a running injury in the ~5000 miles I've done in the past few years running in minimalist shoes).