Muscles and losing weight question for the pros??

Options
I need to drop over 100 lbs. of body fat while keeping the amount of muscle and strength I have now. I don't necessarily have to stay this size, but I do not want to lose muscle or gain too much more.I have a goal weight of 170 lb. and I can bench press about 180 lb. right now.
My question lies in working out.. Should I pump heavy weights, do compound lifting, and eat a lot of protein...or stick to high protein alone? Cardio?
If I ask the question like a noob, please rephrase it and let me know what to do. Thanks.

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting heavy and getting enough protein (I'd guess for you around 150-170g/day). While having 100lbs of fat to lose probably puts you in the obese category, and it's easier--read possible-- for obese individuals to gain muscle while on a deficit, it's not going to be much. The lifting+protein will mostly just help maintain the muscle mass and strength you have now.

By all means, though, do some cardio as well. It's good for you generally, but creating a deficit is most efficiently done through monitoring food intake.

EDIT: I should probably also note that I'm, in fact, not a fitness professional, but I suspect this is similar starting advice that you'd get from most people here.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    1. It is hard to impossible to gain muscle on a deficit. The only possible execption is new lift who is significantly over weight. Converserly, at a deficit, you will lose some muscle mass... so it is possible these 2 will cancel each other out. I would say unlikely, and you will lose some muscle mass.

2. You can get stronger with out gaining muscle mass.

3. Eat protien to save your muscle mass (1gr per 1 lbs of lean body mass +/- 20%.) The lifting heavy vs cardio question is what do you want to look like? Lifting heavey will help perserve your muscle mass, but there are other ways to do it.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting heavy and getting enough protein (I'd guess for you around 150-170g/day). While having 100lbs of fat to lose probably puts you in the obese category, and it's easier--read possible-- for obese individuals to gain muscle while on a deficit, it's not going to be much.Tthe lifting+protein will mostly just help maintain the muscle mass and strength you have now.

By all means, though, do some cardio as well. It's good for you generally, but creating a deficit is most efficiently done through monitoring food intake.

Should I eat back calories I use doing cardio? ..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting and keep protein high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    If your primary goal is to lose 100lbs then focus first on your calories and diet. Figure out the calories you need to take in daily to lose 1-2 lbs/week or whatever number you choose then make that the most important thing. Since it appear your goal is not to get stronger or bigger, I would keep your weight training to higher reps, 12-20 using compound lifts as they will help burn more calories and for a longer period throughout the day. Keep rest between sets to a minimum and be consistent.

A disciplined diet and a consistent exercise program over time will get you where you want to be.

Good luck and keep at it.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    Keep lifting heavy and getting enough protein (I'd guess for you around 150-170g/day). While having 100lbs of fat to lose probably puts you in the obese category, and it's easier--read possible-- for obese individuals to gain muscle while on a deficit, it's not going to be much.Tthe lifting+protein will mostly just help maintain the muscle mass and strength you have now.

Should I eat back calories I use doing cardio? ..

Assuming a deficit is built into your goal here, yes. That's the default method MFP uses.

Now, some people do things a little differently. They set their goal manually and factor in their exercise as part of that. If your goal is set so that your exercise is already figured in, then no. Don't eat them back in that case.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    Options
    If I lift every day will I cause any negative effects?
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's not good to lift too much on a deficit. You'd probably get away with lifting every day if you cycled one exercise on a push/pull/legs schedule. Generally though it's not a good idea to tax your recovery too much when it is already compromised by a caloric deficit. Keep intensity high but back off on volume and maybe frequency.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

Probably, depending on how you're lifting. To be more specific, you need to be conscious of recovery time for your different muscle groups. Constantly breaking down muscle without giving it time to repair would be a pretty big negative effect.
  • cpusmc
    Options

No. With the weight you are targeting to lose, 100lbs, maybe a program similar to the below or whatever fits your schedule..,

M - Legs + 30 min cardio upon completion
    T - Chest + 30 min cardio
    W - Back + 30 min cardio
    Th - Shoulders + 30 min cardio
    Fr - Arms + 30 min cardio
    Sa - 1 hr cardio
    Su - Rest

Adjust as your body responds or as your schedule requires.
  • cpusmc
    Options

Probably, depending on how you're lifting. To be more specific, you need to be conscious of recovery time for your different muscle groups. Constantly breaking down muscle without giving it time to repair would be a pretty big negative effect.

This is spot on so make sure you are not hitting the whole body everyday.... Again, with weight loss being the primary objective, 1 day/week/bodypart should be very effective and not constitute over-training....
  • IamaWunderWuman
    IamaWunderWuman Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I think that depends on what you mean by "lifting every day".

I lift nearly every day, using a different muscle group. An example week would look like:

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Back
    Wednesday: Bi's/Tri's
    Thursday:Legs
    Friday: Shoulders
    Saturday: Cardio (H.I.I.T.)
    Sunday: Rest

I also do abs daily, just different excersizes. This way each muscle group gets a rest (which is necessary, 24-48 hours) in order to repair.

I also switch up my routine every 4 weeks and take at least a full week off after 12-weeks.

Hope that helps!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    Options
    1. It is hard to impossible to gain muscle on a deficit. The only possible execption is new lift who is significantly over weight. Converserly, at a deficit, you will lose some muscle mass... so it is possible these 2 will cancel each other out. I would say unlikely, and you will lose some muscle mass.

2. You can get stronger with out gaining muscle mass.

3. Eat protien to save your muscle mass (1gr per 1 lbs of lean body mass +/- 20%.) The lifting heavy vs cardio question is what do you want to look like? Lifting heavey will help perserve your muscle mass, but there are other ways to do it.

I could use more strength if it doesn't cause gains. I'm concerned only because last time I was 20 lb. from my goal I had 15 inch biceps. I never worked out, only had a physical job. I'm only 5'7'' and large framed if that has any impact on it.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    Options
    I do appreciate the info. Thanks everyone.

What would I consider a decent workout for strength? Do I go by hours or by reps?
  • cpusmc
    Options

What would I consider a decent workout for strength? Do I go by hours or by reps?

Strength is normally associated with low reps/heavy weight.... Powerlifters are an example of heavy weight low reps and big strength.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options

No. With the weight you are targeting to lose, 100lbs, maybe a program similar to the below or whatever fits your schedule..,

W - Back + 30 min cardio
    Sa - 1 hr cardio
    Su - Rest

I think a program like this will negate any strength/muscle gains you are trying to achieve. A better program would be full body lifting routines 3 times a week with two or three separate cardio workouts.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Look into 5/3/1 or Huge in a Hurry or New Rules of Lifting (first version)
  • cpusmc
    Options

W - Back + 30 min cardio
    Sa - 1 hr cardio
    Su - Rest

I think a program like this will negate any strength/muscle gains you are trying to achieve. A better program would be full body lifting routines 3 times a week with two or three separate cardio workouts.

This program may in fact be just as good or better, heck give them both a try or even alternate as neither method is wrong and based on your condition I am sure gains will come either way.