For those who got snow on the ground already.

Options
Don't let the snow stop you from getting up and getting out there! :smile: We can do this! I got up and we had like 2 inches of snow out there and thought there was no way..just going to the store to get coffee next door I can feel it was hard and icy with the mix of snow..but go out and there and try your best and stay active through these long, winter months!

Replies

• jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I walked to work this morning through snow that was up to my knees at some points and up to my shins in most. We live at the top of a big hill. It is about four miles to work and it took about an hour and ten minutes. Getting there wasn't bad, but after four hours, the manager said that I could go home. Going up the big hill in the snow was tough going, but I made it back and it still took an hour and ten minutes! I was shocked!!! Everyone stay safe out there! xx
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get some real snow on the ground so I can break out the snowshoes! :)
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    It's not the snow that bothers me, it's the -20C, -25C weather outside :( lol What should I do?
  • maryellengallagher
    Options
    We are having a big snowstorm even as we speak (write)! My 20 minute commute turned into 45 minutes, but at least I made it in. Several people in my office didn't. I am fortunate that my office has installed a workout room in one of the storerooms and I can work out there.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    It's not the snow that bothers me, it's the -20C, -25C weather outside :( lol What should I do?

Layers, hats. gloves..do what you can to stay warm! Sometimes i have to swear a shirt, a hoodie, then a jacket with hat, scarf, and gloves and I'm still freezing my butt off lol

I have a pair of sweat pants and i can throw on my windbreaker pants on top of that.
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    that reminds me - I could go ice-skating. 30min would probably burn off that 0,75L of pepsi I drank (ex-roomie had ordered food and got an extra bottle)
  • 6ftbombshell
    Options
    LOL. Perfect timing, it's snowing here too (lake effect), same amount. You must live in michigan. :)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    Never done ice skating before..I'd probaly fall flat on my butt lol
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    LOL. Perfect timing, it's snowing here too (lake effect), same amount. You must live in michigan. :)

Yup..right along lake michigan.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Get out and keep your walk cleared every day and you'll get a good calorie burning workout that you can add to your log. :-)
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    cold speeds up metabolism your body uses more energy to keep warm
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options

So it burns more calories? :happy:
  • 6ftbombshell
    Options
    Ditto! I've heard people say its like rollerblading and other say it's nothing like it. I know Rosa Parks Circle (Grand Rapids) has open skate in the winter and i think they still offer lessons as well.
  • undercover
    undercover Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    that reminds me - I could go ice-skating. 30min would probably burn off that 0,75L of pepsi I drank (ex-roomie had ordered food and got an extra bottle)

Moi Kajsa, I love your advent calendar ;)
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I went out with my dogs and just had the best time, it was very hard work tho, got about 40cm of snow but where it has drifted whoa!!!!!!! fun fun fun!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Shoveling is great cardio.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Yup! Did you ever see that episode of Big Bang Theory when Sheldon points out that they have to eat 5000 calories a day just to maintain their bodyweight when they go on a n expedition to Antarctica?

* Its a nerdy comedy about mid-20’s physicists/roommates if you haven't seen it, youtube it!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Yup! Did you ever see that episode of Big Bang Theory when Sheldon points out that they have to eat 5000 calories a day just to maintain their bodyweight when they go on a n expedition to Antarctica?

* Its a nerdy comedy about mid-20’s physicists/roommates if you haven't seen it, youtube it!
    bis.gif for watching Big Bang Theory.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Just back from the woods with my 2 Bichon Frise it was blooming cold but we ALL were wrapped up like snowmen he he :laugh: Used my HRM and burned some nice calories :heart:
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It's snowing here too right now but just enough to cover the roads but not enough to shovel :-( I'm looking forward to getting out and shoveling some of that white stuff for exercise. I must be crazy...lol!