Ionic Foot Detox

Options
So I received a gift cerfiticate for an ionic foor detox and have done some reading on it, but it did talk about helping with weight loss. Just curious if anyone has ever done this and what they thought of it!

Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your body will naturally detox itself as long as you have functioning kidneys and a liver. Save your money. If you want to lose some water weight, eat lots of fruits/veggies and lean protein.

if you search on detoxes, you will see a lot of threads that pretty much just make fun of them. But below is a good thread about detoxes or cleanse in general

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You might want to frame the gift certificate as the world's worst gift.... but for weight loss no it's not going to help.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Google is not impressed. I had never heard of it but a quick search and I had articles screaming at me that it's a scam!
    but having someone fuss over me for half hour sounds nice. plus you have a gift certificate for it.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Mfp doesn't look to kindly on detoxes and rightly so. Usually, they're just trying to detoxify your wallet of all that filthy cash.
  • Future_Mrs_Philipp
    Options
    I figured I got it as a gift so why not use it... maybe it will have more to offer than weight loss.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Scam scam scam....
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You might as well use it, even if it's just half an hour of sitting back with your feet in a bowl of water! Take a nice book with you and enjoy the quiet time :D
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Foot, foor, or food?

Not that it matters. I wouldn't waste your time.
  • Future_Mrs_Philipp
    Options
    I figured I got it as a gift so why not use it... maybe it will have more to offer than weight loss.

Oh I bet they offer more. I'm sure they have all sorts of things they'd love to sign you up for. For a price.

I live in this little tiny town and I guess in the big cities this detox goes for 60-80 dollars a session.. and mine costs $15! You gotta love small towns!
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You might as well use it, even if it's just half an hour of sitting back with your feet in a bowl of water! Take a nice book with you and enjoy the quiet time :D

I would love that. to be somewhere and not hear my name screamed out with a demand after it... I may just go stick my feet in a bowl of water and put headphones in... Hell I may go crazy and have a bath!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Unless you find credible info talking about adverse effects from doing the detox- I say go for it. Gift Certificate means its 100% free, right? Pampering yourself has great mental rewards even if the treatment is scientific hocum. :smile: I've done a "slimming" treatment at a spa before with a gift certificate. It made me feel great even if the effects were minimal and didnt last long... I didnt do it as a quick fix for weightloss so I don't see the harm.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you have the gift certificate...Just don't spend any more money. Leave the wallet at home perhaps. Just enjoy the foot massage (I bet there will be one).
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    So... you stick your feet in a salt solution. They pass an electric current through it. The electrodes rust, turning the water brown. While you are sitting there with your feet in a bath of now rusty water.

How could that POSSIBLY have anything to do with weight loss? Or detoxing , for that matter?

Meh - it won't kill you, so do it if you want. It won't help at all either.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    At least it was someone else's money. Go enjoy your foot washing for what it is. A nice foot washing.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I saw an awesome show that exactly showed the scam. They use chemicals that naturally turn black when combined with oils in the skin. It's not detoxing anything, it's just a chemical reaction. It's was funny to watch.

+1 Not sure if it was the same program, but I saw the same explanation of foot 'detox' offerings. They had these people stick their feet in a bowl of water and the water turned black. The big reveal was that it was a chemical reaction of something they put in the water, coming in contact with the oils present in human skin. LOL!