Help, fallen off the wagon in a big way!

Options
Hi guys, this is the first post I've ever done because I'm really desperate for some advice.
I am on the standard 1200 calorie plan and started on 8th Jan, as of last Saturday I had lost 16 pounds and was really proud of myself.
The problem is that since last Friday I have vastly gone over my calorie allowance, so much so that for the 5 days since Friday I I have averaged about 2500 calories a day. It's been due to a combination of meals out and a very stressful time at work and at home.
I'm so disappointed and angry with myself and I'm terrified that I have ruined all my hard work and have put back on allot of the weight I have worked so hard to loose. I'm going to be too scared to weigh myself for weeks to come now and I don't see how I can kick my weight loss back in to gear, My original goal was 42 pounds and I thought that by loosing 16 I was well on my way. I feel like now I have had these awful 5 days I've probably put back on at least 6 and even if I can get back on track I've messed my metabolism up and wont be able to start loosing again.
I'm quite upset about it and wondered if anyone else had been through anything similar?
Any help or advice I would be ever so grateful for.
Thanks guys.

Replies

• jennybauer
    Options
    Yes, life happens. I am sure you will hear form many who have fallen off. Jump right back on!!! The longer you "stay off the wagon" the harder it is to get back on and the more damage you will do. Don't beat yourself up - pick yourself up and get right back on track. What's done is done, stressing about it does no good to you physically or mentally. (I am trying hard to remember this) Just try to learn from and it and find ways to the next time you feel like binging to help yourself stop and just say no, or make better choices , the possibilities are endless. If this was easy, we probably would not need this site, lol.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    relax...start eating more than 1200 calories, change your exercise to see if you like something else, and take body measurements. I'm pro at falling off the wagon and these are the things I do.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You did it before and you can do it again. Don't let one slip up take you back down forever. Start back with a lot of water to flush out your system.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, this is the first post I've ever done because I'm really desperate for some advice.
    I am on the standard 1200 calorie plan and started on 8th Jan, as of last Saturday I had lost 16 pounds and was really proud of myself.
    The problem is that since last Friday I have vastly gone over my calorie allowance, so much so that for the 5 days since Friday I I have averaged about 2500 calories a day. It's been due to a combination of meals out and a very stressful time at work and at home.
    I'm so disappointed and angry with myself and I'm terrified that I have ruined all my hard work and have put back on allot of the weight I have worked so hard to loose. I'm going to be too scared to weigh myself for weeks to come now and I don't see how I can kick my weight loss back in to gear, My original goal was 42 pounds and I thought that by loosing 16 I was well on my way. I feel like now I have had these awful 5 days I've probably put back on at least 6 and even if I can get back on track I've messed my metabolism up and wont be able to start loosing again.
    I'm quite upset about it and wondered if anyone else had been through anything similar?
    Any help or advice I would be ever so grateful for.
    Thanks guys.

Try eating more than 1200 cals, then you won't need to restrict yourself so much.

You haven't done anything to your metabolism!
  • SarahMarieYates
    SarahMarieYates Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself and move forward!
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    you have already done the first thing that you needed to do.

you recognized that you fell, and decided that you want to get back up.

*boom*

it is a simple mindshift.

you are up.

now keep going.

and watch your footing, so you do not fall again.

you can do this.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I think 1200 calroies a day is too litte... try 1600. There is no way you will be able to maintain a 1200 calorie diet once you've reached your weightloss goal AND you will gain everything right back. Plus, that's also almost starvation mode and youre doing more damage to your metabolism than you are helping it.... If you are not on deaths door because of your weight right now, increase the number. 1600 will make your weight loss come at a slower rate but it is WAY easier to maintain after you reach your weightloss goals. Also, I haven't looked at your food diary but make sure the foods you eat are nutrient rich and stay away from unneccessary carbs (white flour etc) and sugar. These will do nothing to satisfy your hunger and you will go right back to binge eating.

Also, a good way to keep yourself from binge eating is to allow yourself treats - for instance, today a woman from my work got onion rings with her lunch from my favorite restaurant ever. Instead of sitting here smelling them (she sits right next to me) and hating my life because I can't have any - I had 2 and then stopped. Satisfied my craving and didnt put a giant dent in my daily caloric goal.

Also, I am awesome at coming up with excuses.... say its Friday night and I drink too much wine, then Saturday morning I have a big breakfast because I am a little hungover - I usually make the case to "start again on Monday" - DONT DO THAT! ITS SO BAD. Cheating on your diet every once in a while is not bad and keeps you from having a binge eating WEEK - maybe you screw up a meal - doesn't matter - you have your next meal to get back on the wagon.
  • shelleyraesnyder
    Options
    Never Quit. Today is a new day. What happened yesterday no longer matters. If you stumble get back up. So get back on track and move closer to your dreams and goals. YOU CAN DO IT> :flowerforyou:
  • Livestrongalways
    Options
    Don't feel bad we have all been there, I'm no expert but 1200 calories seems to little, when I first started this around the same time as you I was doing 1200 also but upped mine to 1460 and I feel a lot better and am loosing at a good rate :)
    Also I don't think you have put on nearly as much as you think, you may feel bigger due to sodium ect but if you drink plenty of water this will flush this out, it will take a few days so be patient, go on to the scooby workshop and find out what you should be having regarding calories ect and make a plan for a fresh start, please don't give up! You started this for a reason :) I know that there will be times that I will go way over my limit but tell myself that I will go straight back on the next day, I could never do this 100% all the time ( not at the min anyway) but I'm learning as I go along and hope that all my little changes will come together and make a new healthier me,

All the best in your journey

P.s find buddies on here as they can pick you up and motivate you when you need it while you do the same for them x:smile:
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Never give up!! Stay on plan and exercise for a week and then weigh yourself. Don't be upset if it is up. Think back to the motivation that made you start this weight loss journey in the first place. Remember that and re-commit. I lost, maintained for over a year and let 10 lbs slip back on. I literally deleted my account on MFP and made a new one as a re-commitment to my original goal. Have lost 3 lbs and have 7 more to go. It doesn't sound like a lot but I am small and this is about 5% of my body weight so it comes off slowly.

You must remember this is for you and it is for life, not a few months. You are doing great
  • fitboricua
    fitboricua Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, I lost almost 40 pounds and at some point I just lost motivation and ended up gaining most of the weight back. Don't beat up yourself over it!! Everybody has fallen of the wagon, the important thing is to get back to it. If you are afraid to weight yourself because you think that will make you loose motivation then don't do it. Actually I recommend you weight yourself every 30 days.
    Double check your calorie intake maybe you need more, I know most people think 1200 is enough but that is not true for everybody.