VLCD?

Options
Does anyone know anything about this method? I've heard a lot of negative reports, but also heard that many people have great success overall. I think it generally isn't a healthy approach. But, I think it may be healthier than the alternative for obese individuals. If you are taking these approach or want to discuss, add me please :)

MJ

Replies

• graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    How can it be healthier than what exactly alternative for obese individuals? I started out morbidly obese, and have lost steadily and healthily at 1800+ calories a day.

One might lose quickly, but will almost always gain it all back, its simply not sustainable.

By the way, this thread will shortly be locked and deleted for trying to promote an unhealthy weight loss strategy.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    No.
  • bradXdale
    Options
    VLCD's are classified under "VSD".

Very Stupid Decision.

Eat at or right under your BMR and the weight will fall off slowly but surely.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know anything about this method? I've heard a lot of negative reports, but also heard that many people have great success overall. I think it generally isn't a healthy approach. But, I think it may be healthier than the alternative for obese individuals. If you are taking these approach or want to discuss, add me please :)

MJ

VLCD's are acceptable for very very overweight individuals who can sustain a large deficit... It's when your average person with 40lbs or less to lose does it that it's unhealthy.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. While it is effective at helping you achieve weight loss goals, it's also effective at eroding your muscle tissue. Muscle burns more than fat, so unless you want to continue on after achieving your weight goal with a very low calorie diet (I know 1200 calories is thrown around a lot here as 'the norm', but it's not, and it really sucks only getting to eat that much), I'd recommend following a diet that puts you somewhere around 500 calories less each day than the number of calories required to maintain your weight. VLCD's wreak havoc on the body. There's enough of us recovering from VLCD's to back that up. It sucks. Food is your friend. :)

Graceire- you freakin' rock! Nice loss!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

MJ

VLCD's are acceptable for very very overweight individuals who can sustain a large deficit... It's when your average person with 40lbs or less to lose does it that it's unhealthy.

I would also add that VLCD's are generally done under medical supervision as malnutrition is fairly common with VLCD's. I would not advise a VLCD without close supervision.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    People who do a VLCD will lose....at first. Then their metabolism starts getting wonky. And then..as soon as they eat anything close to normally, they gain all the weight back. Plus more. And they start again on the cycle, because hey, I lost weight like this before....One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. A VLCD is not appropriate for anyone unless they are very very morbidly obese and under a doctor's close supervision.
    Please don't put your health at risk. Lose weight in a healthy way...even if it takes a bit longer.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am in fact on what most would consider a vlcd. I eat from 800-1000 calories a day. Aim for more if I workout just to sustain some energy but what others have said here isn't untrue either. These are not taken lightly because you can become malnourished, lose energy, have a tendency to binge when you get overwhelmed, gain back weight in excess if you fail, etc. I am doing mine under medical recommendations so I keep my diary closed to avoid the scrutiny, however, if you have good motives and your dr has given you some guidelines it can be done healthy. I am a stickler for my macros. I always prioritize protein first. Believe me, hair loss is no fun due to insufficient protein. I do a 45% protein, 30% carb, and 25% fat ratio and take a ton of supplements daily, including a mutli, a B-6, a D, calcium, etc. You really have to pay attention to your body when you eat lower than normal calories. If you feel weak, you must eat. This is not for everyone...not even many I think. It's not a fad diet for quick weight loss. It should only be done when you have a valid medical reason for doing so. With that being said...you can friend me if you like and we can discuss further.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    VLCD's are classified under "VSD".

Very Stupid Decision.

Eat at or right under your BMR and the weight will fall off slowly but surely.
    No, eat just ended your TDEE. You BMR is the least amount of calories it takes to sustain you if you were comatose.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. While it is effective at helping you achieve weight loss goals, it's also effective at eroding your muscle tissue. Muscle burns more than fat, so unless you want to continue on after achieving your weight goal with a very low calorie diet (I know 1200 calories is thrown around a lot here as 'the norm', but it's not, and it really sucks only getting to eat that much), I'd recommend following a diet that puts you somewhere around 500 calories less each day than the number of calories required to maintain your weight. VLCD's wreak havoc on the body. There's enough of us recovering from VLCD's to back that up. It sucks. Food is your friend. :)

Graceire- you freakin' rock! Nice loss!

Aw, thanks! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.