Challenge: Carry the weight you've lost for an hour.

Options

Replies

• sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    that would be hard! carrying around 85 + lbs i don't know how i managed to do such a thing
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My goal when I started on MFP was to lose the amount of weight my toddler weighs. I've done it, and a bit more, and every time I lift him up now is a reminder of how far I've come. I will struggle carrying him around for an hour though:wink:
  • Althin
    Options
    Great post! I haven't lost much yet (compared to what I have to go) but yesterday as I carried in a 15 pound bag of dogfood, it hit me that just recently, I had been lugging that same amount of extra "me" around before starting to care more about my health. Makes me focus on the good job done so far and not only on what I have to go.

THANK YOU for the great reminder!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... What do I have around the house that might work for this?
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... What do I have around the house that might work for this?

Do you have a 6th grade child handy?
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35 pounds (I lost two before staring mfp). I was carrying a 40 pound bag of cat litter into the house yesterday and was shocked how heavy it was. Wow...how was I lugging an extra 35 pounds around for so long?
  • ylmitch
    ylmitch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's awesome words of encouragement and a great challenge.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    That's a sack of dog food. I ... I seriously don't think I could pick one up right now without hurting myself, considering all the other injuries I'm recovering from.

No wonder I hurt all the time when I had that weight on me. Now maybe I can start recovering from the other injuries!
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Let me reiterate, PLEASE no one hurt themselves! I was just making a point. :)
  • claudineer
    claudineer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great idea. Will try. Than you.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i did something similar, when i had lost 20 lbs i carried my youngest around to see how long i'd last, was just over 20 mins before my back was on fire, when i'd lost 35 lbs i did the same with my second youngest, i didn't even last 10 mins, when i'd lost 60 lbs i tried carrying both of them (they had both put weight on and was just over 60 lbs) i didn't last long at all lol, now i'm 87 lbs down i'm stuck with imagining what it looks like, found this list very interesting

1 pound = a Guinea Pig
    1.5 pounds = a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts
    2 pounds = a rack of baby back ribs
    3 pounds = an average human brain
    4 pounds = an ostrich egg
    5 pounds = a Chihuahua
    6 pounds = a human’s skin
    7.5 pounds = an average newborn
    8 pounds = a human head
    10 pounds= chemical additives an American consumes each year
    11 pounds = an average housecat
    12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
    15 pounds = 10 dozen large eggs
    16 pounds = a sperm whale’s brain
    20 pounds = an automobile tire
    23 pounds = amount of pizza an average American eats in a year
    24 pounds = a 3-gallon tub of super premium ice cream
    25 pounds = an average 2 year old
    30 pounds = amount of cheese an average American eats in a year
    33 pounds = a cinder block
    36 pounds = a mid-size microwave
    40 pounds = a 5-gallon bottle of water or an average human leg
    44 pounds = an elephant’s heart
    50 pounds = a small bale of hay
    55 pounds = a 5000 BTU air conditioner
    60 pounds = an elephant’s penis (yep, weights more than his heart!)
    66 pounds = fats and oils an average American eats in a year
    70 pounds = an Irish Setter
    77 pounds = a gold brick
    80 pounds = the World’s Largest Ball of Tape
    90 pounds = a newborn calf
    100 pounds = a 2 month old horse
    111 pounds = red meat an average American eats in a year
    117 pounds = an average fashion model (and she’s 5’11”)
    118 pounds = the complete Encyclopedia Britannica
    120 pounds = amount of trash you throw away in a month
    130 pounds = a newborn giraffe
    138 pounds = potatoes an average American eats in a year
    140 pounds = refined sugar an average American eats in a year
    144 pounds = an average adult woman (and she’s 5’4”)
    150 pounds = the complete Oxford English Dictionary
    187 pounds = an average adult man
    200 pounds = 2 Bloodhounds
    235 pounds = Arnold Schwarzenegger
    300 pounds = an average football lineman
    400 pounds = a Welsh pony

when i look at the list i don't instantly go for the one closest to my weight eg i prefer to think i've lost the equivalent of 4 tires (plus extra) rather than the worlds largest ball of tape, as i find the tires much easier to visualize
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have lost over twice the weight of our dog. I still find it exhausting when I am tired and he needs to be carried down the stairs.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know about an hour, but I have noticed that a 50 pound bag of dog food is much easier to carry now versus when I was 40 pounds heavier. I just want to keep as much of the muscle that I have now, from carrying around all this extra weight everyday, all the way to goal.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was talking to one of the trainers at the gym, I told him that I'd lost 16kg but I didn't feel much different, so he said "just wait there a minute" and came back with a 15kg core exercise bag and a 1kg dumbbell that he dropped into my arms. OK, 16kg is heavy! I have no idea why I didn't do something about it earlier! This is possibly why my knees used to hurt all the time!
  • ladyzakis
    ladyzakis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love this. I do it on a small scale to keep myself going. 1lb seems such a small number but a bag of sugar has a fair weight to it.

I especially like the idea of measuring my loss against Krispy Kreme doughnuts though!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Its weird, but I dont think I could carry it around for an hour, even though I guess I did for years.
  • Nightfall30
    Nightfall30 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This post really put the 40ish lbs I've lost into perspective. Thanks, OP, you made my day!
  • Kaplat
    Kaplat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks OP. Really puts things into perspective.
  • fighterwithin
    fighterwithin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i used to pick up my brother (hes 10) and carry him around to get the same effect.. i had lost about 10 lbs less than what he weighed so it was neat to see that
  • Babes1986
    Babes1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Carrying my 27lb toddler for 10 mins is hard and to think that is what I had to carry all day long no wonder I feel better
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!