No shame.....antidepressant meds

Options
Anyone on here taking antidepressant meds and trying to lose weight? :smokin: <
not that kind either. LOL

If so, what are you taking and do you think it's hindering your weight loss and progess?

Replies

• skyley
    skyley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am on welbutrin and no I don't think it is hindering anything although it's one of the ones that aren't supposed to make you gain weight
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm on Wellbutrin SR, I take 150mg a day. Mine is basically for delayed post-partum depression, and it looks like I'm going to be on it for a while because my husband and I both love who I am on it. I feel like a totally different person and i am so glad I asked for the help!

As far as weight, I think it has helped me. My appetite is down, I think I'm not mindlessly eating anymore. I also have the motivation to get off the couch and DO something, which is a nice change. Before I started it, I was stuck at 256. Once I started taking it and eating better and getting more active, I lost about 5 pounds. Then I found MFP and lost several more in the last few weeks. I think they will end up going hand in hand: I ate because I was depressed, then I got depressed about my weight, then I ate more. Now that I am feeling better about life in general, things don't look so hopeless and every little accomplishment (like finally getting into the 230s!!) is a huge step and motivator and I don't beat myself up for the occasoinal 1/2 small veggie pizza or whatever. Just get back on the wagon the next day!

Sorry that was a long answer, but depressoin, body image, lifestyle...they are complicated things!
  • sevangelista
    Options
    With the exception of welbutrin, all of these drugs make weightless more difficult but not impossible
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    I'm on Sertraline, Haldol (for my TS) and Lorazepam, Sertraline is 75 mg, Haldol is 1.5 mg, and Lorazepam is .5 mg I think (take it when I need to) The only one that makes it hard for me to lose weight is the Haldol for my Tourettes, :( It made me gain weight in 4 years, (bout 40 lbs) :/
  • JJGraves
    Options
    Wellbutrin never made me gain weight, quite the opposite, but then it didn't really help my anxiety that much. I am on Effexor now and I am certain it is responsible for the 10 lbs that have attached themselves to me! Be interested to hear how it goes for you. I am new to FitnessPal and am hoping a more careful approach can make them budge.
  • jnniffer45
    jnniffer45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on Prozac and Lorazapan. I started gaining a little weight... then a lot - over 20 pounds - I'm 5'3, but without the meds I have a hard time coping with my situation.

After 9 months I complained to my Dr. about the weight gain, so he switched me over to Welbutrin and Lorazapam. My Dr. has explained to me that Prozac will make you gain weight, because increases your appetite especially for carbs. He also explained that welbutrin helps suppress appetite, but not to go below 1,000 calories a day, as the combination may cause seizures. My appetite is down and I am losing the weight s l o w l y... but not without effort. Pilates 3 times a week, Dance twice a week and being very aware of my calories. Still it has taken about 6 months and I'm not yet back to my normal size.

Its super easy to get discouraged... dont let it get you down - push through it. I did and eventually started seeing results.

Hope this helps.
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am on Wellbutrin as well......going on nearly 10 years.

I am also on Cymbalta (same class as Effexor). Trying to get off this stuff but the withdrawals are fierce. So i am weaning SLLLOOWWWWLLLY.

I wondered if anyone else has trouble losing weight with these meds.

Let me know how it goes with Effexor.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm on Abilify and Lamictal, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Clonopin and a couple of benzos. I'm BiPolar and have severe general anxiety. Since adding Abilify I've gained 25lbs in the last year. When my P-Doc increased Wellbutrin from 200 to 400 mg a day, I thought yay, I'll finally lose some weight, instead I gained 8 lbs. It's finally off, now to get the rest off. From what I've read, 25% of all people on anti-depressants will gain weight, so you're right, no shame. It's harder to take it off, but it can and will come off, especially thanks to this web site. Now when I get the carb cravings, I know how many I have left and don't overdo it anymore.

Sue
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I take Prozac and haven't noticed any problems losing...as long as I stick to my exercise plan and healthier eating.
    I'm pretty sure my doctor told me Prozac is also used to help eating disorders, but I'm not positive on that.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    "I am also on Cymbalta (same class as Effexor). Trying to get off this stuff but the withdrawals are fierce. So i am weaning SLLLOOWWWWLLLY"

Brain zaps, OMG, they're horrible! I feel for you....
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    "I am also on Cymbalta (same class as Effexor). Trying to get off this stuff but the withdrawals are fierce. So i am weaning SLLLOOWWWWLLLY"

Brain zaps, OMG, they're horrible! I feel for you....

I have been dropping my dosage each week without any issues. This past week I went from 30mg to probably 10mg. NOT GOOD. I felt terrible for days. I finally had to go back up to 20mg just to be able to function.

Brain zaps, nauseau, dizziness, headaches, etc.......TERRIBLE!!!!!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I was on Prozac for 2 years then 1 year of Zoloft - exercised and ate decently - gained 30 pounds. And I loved to work out!! It seemed to slow down my metabolism. I weaned off and got the side effects that she said
    Brain zaps, nauseau, dizziness, headaches, etc.......TERRIBLE!!!!!

After the withdrawal, I started losing weight right away.
  • glendaaus
    glendaaus Posts: 27
    Options
    I have been on and off anti-depressants for 5 years now. One of my children passed away - so it was kinda a necessity. I came off pristiq in September last year, but feel I need to go back on something now. I am not depressed - just lost interest in things - hard to get going - hard to explain in typing. I was on Prosac for the longest period - about 2 years and I did gain about 20lb - but didn't mind - because I felt happy, but the got on the scales and went - ooopss. I think I will try Zoloft this round - some people gain and others don't - I guess you just have to be aware. Pristiq was OK - just felt emotionally numb - if that makes sense. You have to do what you have to do - we have to live - and if that includes a helping hand - well then we have to take it.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    I was on zoloft (setraline HCL) 100mg for about six months and it made me gain about 20 pounds. I got off of it about three months ago when I decided I needed to try and lose weight. I feel better now working out every day seems to be a natural anxiety reducer :)
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    yes been on all kinds..they effect everyone different. Iwas on prozac..stopped taking it and lost over a 100 lbs..Taking Wellbuterin and that is not supposed to make you gain..I havent, but I tend to gain with the SSRI even when I am not eating.although my metabolism is really screwed up. Sometimes they say people gain weight because they are not depressed and they start eating again, but I had trouble with prozac..was fat and happy..now not either!!just trying very low dose of celexa will let you know Zyprexa I know will make you gain weight b/c they are using it in a study to treat anorexia and my drs have been trying to get me to take it. Sorry you are having a hard time..being depressed is hard enough!
  • glendaaus
    glendaaus Posts: 27
    Options
    Maybe I won't try Zoloft - haha!
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    it is..mostly bulimia
  • craizydaizy
    craizydaizy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was on Effexor for about a year and gained at least 30lbs. It was my highest weight I have ever been. In fact, I weighed more while I was on Effexor than any of my pregnancies. I do have to say that I was NOT exercising at the time, nor watching what I ate. That of course, helped the weight-gain along. The Doc assured me that it was non-addictive. However, trying to come off that stuff is a nightmare!! My tongue would tingle, my temples would throb, and I just felt like I was under water or something. Good luck with your weight-loss, and weaning off the meds :)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm on Pristiq. Been on it for about a year and a half. Didn't notice weight gain from the meds. Did notice amazing increase in my mood, enabling me to come out of a crippling and life threatening depression.

:flowerforyou:
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was on prozac for three years, lost weight on it - had no appetite. Now I'm on Welbutrin and Lamictal, Ativan, Ambien and one other drug. I was on Serequel for a year, but figured out that was what was making me gain weight. Combining that with the Ambien, I'd sleep eat and not remember it. Plus, one of the side effects is weight gain.

It's harder to lose weight while on anti-depressants, but not impossible...just a lot more work :(