Morbidly Obese. N

Options
Well I have been here for the better half of a month now but never introduced myself. Hi, my name is Renee I am 24 and I am morbidly obese. 354 pounds to be exact. (Down 10 pounds since starting MFP woohoo!)

All my life, even as a child I have been overweight. Always picked last, never had real friends until I hit high school. Now I hardly ever talk to most of them. Since graduating in 2008 I have pretty much shut myself up inside my house. Only leaving for work and occasionally going out with friends.. I ate and sat at my computer playing video games. I was embarrassed to be seen in public and alienated myself from my friends. Embarrassed for them to see how much I have grown, and not in a good way. It was always "I'll do it next week, next month." Now I see that if I started when I said I would, I could be healthy by now.

I'm doing this for me. I want to be happier. I'm tired of being out in public and walking with my head down, never meeting anyways eyes. I'm tired of being at one of my huge family functions and sitting in the corner out of the way of people feeling like a huge blob. I'm tired of people looking disgusted with me. I want to be healthy. I need to be. I have been on MFP everyday reading success stories and my hopes have never been higher.

I have motivated myself and I'm so damn excited I could cry. If anyone else is on this huge adventure and wants to motivate each other feel free to add me. I know we can do it! :D

Replies

• violette75x
    violette75x Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I too am classed as morbidly obese and need to loose around 150lbs, it seems such a lot of weight but it needs to be done. I have just stared on MFP today so hoping to get lots of inspiration. Wishing you lots of luck xx
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Welcome, at least you are now on the road back to health

Have a read through this thread, bloke was 635 lbs, had to go round in golf cart, lost 360 lbs, with photos, an inspiration to us all

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1197082-how-i-lost-360lbs-in-15-months-with-photos
  • getfitsara
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I know you can do this! I, too, have been obese all of my life...I am down -50 lbs and it's taken me a year and a half. It's mostly sticking to it and always getting back on the wagon when you fall off. Okay, enough preaching! BEST WISHES, ya'll are gonna do great! <3
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Welcome Renee!!

Congrats on deciding to make a change and you CAN do this!

1. Log your food as accurately and honestly as possible - If it goes in your mouth it gets logged good bad and the ugly. While you are starting just worry about the calorie number once you get good at logging then start looking at protein, carbs and fat. Again Keep it Simple. If you don't have a medical condition that you have to watch your sugar intake don't even bother tracking that.

2. Get a digital food scale they are very inexpensive and probably my greatest investment This will help you learn portion control which helps with being able to eat in moderation.

3. Understand that this takes time, so being patient is good

4. Understand that weight will fluctuate all the time, don't let your emotions get tied into the number on the scale, the scale is just one of many tools you will use to gauge your progress.

5. Strive for consistency over perfection, if you make 80% good choices the other 20% don't make too much of a difference.

6. Remember weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, don't make it a huge deficit, keep it reasonable and remember any change you are considering doing ask yourself "Am I willing to do this for the rest of my life?" If so then go for it, if not think about why you are considering that change.

Best of Luck to you!!!
  • PoetChick
    Options
    Hello, Star. I am in the same boat as you, and I totally understand where you're coming from. I currently weigh 320 pounds (down ten pounds from my highest weight of 330 pounds). I'll send you a friend request. :smile:

Stephanie
  • brendasteve
    brendasteve Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank God, you are taking action now. I just suffered a pulmonary embolism, mostly due to obesity and sitting in a chair for a better part of the day due to my job and how inactive ive been. What an eye opener! I could have lost my life, literally. I have always read the stories of how people have had the heart health scare and that was their aha moment, and all i really heard was blah blah blah, until I had a scare. I am so thankful it wasnt too late! There is so many health conditions that go along with obesity and being inactive that people dont realize, this is scary. Depression is a huge part played with obesity as well. I wish you all the best and hope that I can help in some way, not by scaring people but by talking reality!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Hey Renee! I started May 2012 at 315lbs. By Christmas 2012, I was down 100lbs. I found MFP to be super motivating and I love the accountability I felt from using it. It can certainly be done! Feel free to add me if you would like :)
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome Renee!!

Congrats on deciding to make a change and you CAN do this!

1. Log your food as accurately and honestly as possible - If it goes in your mouth it gets logged good bad and the ugly. While you are starting just worry about the calorie number once you get good at logging then start looking at protein, carbs and fat. Again Keep it Simple. If you don't have a medical condition that you have to watch your sugar intake don't even bother tracking that.

2. Get a digital food scale they are very inexpensive and probably my greatest investment This will help you learn portion control which helps with being able to eat in moderation.

3. Understand that this takes time, so being patient is good

4. Understand that weight will fluctuate all the time, don't let your emotions get tied into the number on the scale, the scale is just one of many tools you will use to gauge your progress.

5. Strive for consistency over perfection, if you make 80% good choices the other 20% don't make too much of a difference.

6. Remember weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, don't make it a huge deficit, keep it reasonable and remember any change you are considering doing ask yourself "Am I willing to do this for the rest of my life?" If so then go for it, if not think about why you are considering that change.

Best of Luck to you!!!
    Thanks! I actually read a bunch of your posts and your before and after pics, you have already been a huge inspiration to me. :)
  • ibboone
    Options
    One thing to remember is you didn't get this way overnight. I have lost 80 pounds in the last 2 years but 50 pounds of the 80 in the last 4 months. I wasn't serious about weight loss until recently I have always been an big fellow my whole life and just accepted it until recently. You can do this. When the weight starts to come of and the compliments start coming your way, it will give you more incentive to keep loosing weight.

Wish you the best Dan
  • Magda_Castle
    Magda_Castle Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've started my weight loss journey on a New Year's Day 2014 weighing at 342 lbs!
    I'm also doing it for myself - have had enough of being fat friend, not being able to buy nice clothes in "normal" shops and feeling rubbish about myself!

Feel free to add me - the more motivating friends, the merrier! :)
  • Renegade706
    Options
    It takes courage to make that first step. Congrats on your progress so far, feel free to add me , I try to be a motivating, encouraging friend.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    great job taking the first step and on the first 10 lost :) remember it takes time but you can do it :)
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Congrats on the 10pds! You can do this, good luck!
  • crazyferretperson
    Options
    hi im zoe and im overweight it started when i hit my teens i just started eating more and more and didnt go out of my bedroom very much i just layed around watch tv . i was all ways bulid at school which made me very shy and nervous im still am now . i feel much better after joining myfitnesspal everyone is so friendly :drinker: im sure you will do well and good luck :bigsmile: feel free to add me
  • rbaileyMOG
    Options
    Started on this project Jan 2012......After 2 years and almost 2 months on Atkins and down 250 lbs. I am proof that it does work...I was 551 lbs. and now weigh in at 301.... hope to be 299 next week which will be another big goal....another 50-75 to go but believe that it can happen now.
  • freedom456
    Options
    Hi, I am Bob. November 26, 2013 I weighed in at 319 lbs. I am 6'2 " and have always been fairly athletic, always active. A bad surgery stopped me from walking and by the time I saw a doctor to actually fix it I was up to 319. I became lazy, when I tried walking my back, hips, knees hurt, damn, everything hurt and I had just hit a point where I did not care any longer.
    I live in Canada and heard of a bariatric program offered through our regional hospital. I got a referal from my doctor and in a few months I was invited to an orientation session. The team offered me surgery, or a dietian to guide me, or a program called the Optifast meal replacement program ( optifast is what I chose). I have had nothing but optifast protein shakes for 13 weeks, on February 25 I will have my first (monitored) meal. A supper with contorlled amounts of meat and vegetables. There is a weekly class I must attend and every second week I meet with the team doctor. The program is awesome. I have lost 81 lbs so far and am now 238 Ibs. Pretty slim for my height. I am back out walking at least 5K a day. I ride my exercise bike for about 25 minutes a day. Once in a while I will go snowshoeing and starting Mar. 3rd I will start at the gym to start rebuilding muscle I have lost during this journey.
    I feels fantastic to be active again, to feel energized again. This program has saved my life. I have diabetes type 2. I do not take any medication any longer. I do not take cholesterol medication andy longer. My numbers for both issues are now fantatstic. I do not take acid reflux medication any longer.
    The meal replacement program consists of 4 Optifast shakes a day and I am allow 50 other calories if I feel the urge to eat. A packet of beef or chicken broth is 10 calories. Half a cup of sugar free jello is 10 calories. And it's enough to take the edge off.
    If you live in Canada, look into it. It works and believe me when I say that after the first 3 days, you are not craving other foods. All the nutrients that you need to sustain health and lose weight are in the shakes.
    Please do not do it if you are not medically monitored. You really need the doctors and teams guidance.
    Good luck. We all deserve quality of life.
    I am new to this site and am very excited about the abitlity to monitor my food consumption and stay on track.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    hi im zoe and im overweight it started when i hit my teens i just started eating more and more and didnt go out of my bedroom very much i just layed around watch tv . i was all ways bulid at school which made me very shy and nervous im still am now . i feel much better after joining myfitnesspal everyone is so friendly :drinker: im sure you will do well and good luck :bigsmile: feel free to add me

Hi Zoe! Glad you found MFP. We're not always friendly :grumble: but normally when we're not it's because being nice won't get the message across, especially is someone is going to do something dangerous, expensive or silly.

My son is kind of like you. He's 28 and has been getting out of his room more and more. As he pushes the limits of his comfort zone, he gains more confidence. Mostly he goes for walks and has even made a friend a "walking buddy" so to speak.

I wish you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • gloriart
    Options
    Hi Renee and everyone,

my Wii reminds me everytime I exercise I am obese. God, i hate that word! but i have to face facts. i have to face reality and try and understand why i've been kidding myself all of these years. there is something that food is giving me that I'm not getting elsewhere. but i fall off the wagon nearly every week. i'm finding that it does take practice and there is some excellent advice on this message board. today I was good and exercised for nearly an hour. my food was good and i'm happy about that. Even though MFP states that it will take a month for me to lose 5 lbs! that seems soooo slow. But I know slow and sure wins the race. in our culture where we get everything fast, faster and fastest, it's patience that is needed most with weight loss. keep on keeping on.
  • Iceman420
    Options
    All my life, even as a child I have been overweight. Always picked last, never had real friends until I hit high school. Now I hardly ever talk to most of them. Since graduating in 2008 I have pretty much shut myself up inside my house. Only leaving for work and occasionally going out with friends.. I ate and sat at my computer playing video games. I was embarrassed to be seen in public and alienated myself from my friends. Embarrassed for them to see how much I have grown, and not in a good way. It was always "I'll do it next week, next month." Now I see that if I started when I said I would, I could be healthy by now.

Hello Renee. I was the same way in school, and like you, I only left the house for work and the gym. I kept telling myself I will start losing weight tomorrow, but it never happened. Now I'm finally starting my weight loss journey. Add me if you want. We can motivate each other.
  • princesslucylou86
    Options
    Hey!! I AM OBESE! There i said it, makes me feel sick but its true. I now go to the gym and actuallt enjoy myself!!! Which i never in a million years thought i would be bale to do! I do feel better for it and im sad i didnt do this earlier! Im getting married in a few months and the last thing i want is to look back at the happiest day of my life and think i look massive! Sadly this will probably be the case but i will smash as much as i can until then. Ive looked at so many of your profiles and have got courage and determination from them and this keeps me soooo motivated!

Feel free to add me as i need all the help i can get and ill be there for you :) x