Juicing

Options
I just started juicing and would love help finding different combinations and the benefits of this! Any other juicers out there????

Replies

• Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did Jason Vale's 7 day thingy a long time ago, and it's pretty much cured my carb/sugar cravings. I think if you google 'Jason Vale Daily Mail' he's put up some recipes and a plan to go with it. Most of the recipes are delicious, and I was consuming exponentially more veggies than I normally do. Only thing I'd say is don't substitute ingredients. I once used tinned pineapple instead of fresh and the juice was disgusting.

Good luck!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Juicers rid the fruit and produce of the beneficial fibre and nutrients. If you're going to do this, at least consider buying a Nutribullet.. it will blend up the entire item and not waste the skins and peels. The only thing you need to do is cut it into smaller chunks and get rid of seeds and pits (orange and grape seeds are fine, but apple seeds contain cyanide so you shouldn't really eat many of them. (But honestly we eat cyanide in other foods anyway, so it's not thaaat big of a deal.)
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I must respectfully disagree with you there. A juice fast is a short term goal and at the other end of the scale, having a juice in combination with a healthy, balanced diet is not going to deprive you of necessary fibre. I don't understand why you believe the nutrients go out of the window when you juice either. There is A LOT of pulp discarded when juicing. You might as well eat the ingredients whole if you're concerned about losing fibre. Also, as you'd be eating way more fibre than normal you'd probably suffer from some very unpleasant side effects (don't try if you suffer from IBS).

You'd need about half a cup of apple seeds to kill yourself!
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    My favorite is beets, spinach, carrots, cucumber, ginger and a squeeze of lemon. I try to focus more on juicing veggies than fruit because of all the sugar in the fruit. Have fun experimenting with different ingredients! :)
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Juicers rid the fruit and produce of the beneficial fibre and nutrients. If you're going to do this, at least consider buying a Nutribullet.. it will blend up the entire item and not waste the skins and peels. The only thing you need to do is cut it into smaller chunks and get rid of seeds and pits (orange and grape seeds are fine, but apple seeds contain cyanide so you shouldn't really eat many of them. (But honestly we eat cyanide in other foods anyway, so it's not thaaat big of a deal.)

This is actually part of the whole point in juicing. Getting rid of the fiber, keeps you from getting full so that you can consume the nutrients in the fruits and veggies. Not that fiber is bad, but too much can fill you up before getting the nutrients you want, and for some people, enough calories.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I wanted to try juicing but didn't want to invest in a machine yet, so I started using a food processor and straining through cheesecloth to get juice. I loved how that juice made me feel... I got out of bed looking forward to it because it was a huge burst of energy. When I decided to invest in a juicer, I had one picked out and then saw the Nutribullet infomercial. I bought it. I don't have a huge budget for groceries, so the deciding factor was that I wanted to eat every bit of what I buy.

I love the Nutribullet and so does my family. We've used the heck out of it, and I make soups and salad dressings with it too. But I will say that I don't get that magic energy burst, or whatever it was. I don't look forward to my green smoothie in the same way.

As for health benefits, I can't attest to any that stand out, other than I get the extra produce.
  • swmrbee
    swmrbee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We do a lot of juicing. Our favorite juices include:
    -Cucumber, cilantro, carrot, beet
    -Ginger, Pineapple, carrot
    -Ginger, apple, celery, carrot, mint
    -Ginger... with any other fruits

Hope these ideas help.
  • Gracielou12014
    Options
    I just got a nutribullet today, I'm going to try baby spinach, a granny smith apple, carrots and blueberries tonight and see how that tastes lol... maybe top it off with almonds... let's see how it tastes! I had blueberries, carrots and almonds last night and it didn't taste bad at all!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I just got a nutribullet today, I'm going to try baby spinach, a granny smith apple, carrots and blueberries tonight and see how that tastes lol... maybe top it off with almonds... let's see how it tastes! I had blueberries, carrots and almonds last night and it didn't taste bad at all!

When you put carrots in, let it blend for a long time so you don't have to eat your smoothie with a spoon :)
  • Gracielou12014
    Options
    Haha! I was totally eating it with a spoon last night... it was very grainy!
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love the IDEA of juicing but think it's too expensive and time consuming. I take two products, IsaFruits and Isagenix Greens. I add one spoonful to my smoothie.
    Please don't barrage this post with the argument of whole foods over powders. There really is no need. I don't want to spend MY valuable time away from my family driving back and forth to the store, shopping for produce, washing it, cutting it up, putting it in ziploc bags, pulsing it and cleaning up afterwards only for it to taste awful or grainy. No thanks!
    I'd rather have the handy little scoop of powder to put in my smoothie. I get all the energy you get from the juicing without all the hassle.
    I'm just saying that for a little over $1 / scoop and only 30 calories I can get 3-5 serving of fruits and/or veggies from the purest, most premium sources.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    Social juicer here.:bigsmile:
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I juice every morning and love it! I used to be extremely tired every day around 2 pm and needed several cups of coffee in the morning. When I juice I don't get the mid-day sluggish feeling and just feel healthier all around. I tend to stick with 2/3 greens (spinach, kale, chard...whatever is in season) with a half cucumber, small apple and half an orange. Pineapple and Mellon are also really good in a juice and you don't need a lot to make it sweet.

Good luck!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I quite like the occasional cucumber and celery juice, not as a fast or anything, I just like the taste :-)
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i bought a juicer. i realized its much easier and filling to just eat the veggies and fruit lol
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    The only thing I hate: cleaning up afterwards! lol!!

My current favorite is: blackberry, apple, orange, pear, lemon, ginger and sweet potato. It's amazing!! And I never knew how much adding a small sweet potato will help make it tastier!! But I ALWAYS add ginger to ANY juice I make!