Help! Working out when kids won't let you...

Options
So if your my friend on MFP then you know I have 2 kids 4 and 7 months. But you might not know that EVERY single time I try to workout my 7 month old knows it and flips out.

Yesterday for example. I was going to get up early at 6am and do a video. Well he woke up at 5:30am. If I put him to sleep for a nap he wake up 5 minutes into my workout . If I try to do it when he is awake he cries until I give up. My 4 year old attempts to entertain him for me so I can workout since it is only a 1/2 hour video but Nope he wants nothing to do with it.

I do have a gym membership that I also use But I would like to do Jillian's 30 day shred or a similar video at home also.
I could workout when Hubby gets home from work BUT then it takes me forever to "calm down" and then I am up late and then suffer the next day because of it.

So My Lovely people I need advice or suggestions, on what do to.

I am a stay at home mom so I really have no excuse not to workout but my little one makes it impossible.

Advice is needed and appreciated as long as your being Positive and not Negative.. There is enough negativity in the world as it is we don't need to harp on people when they are asking for productive advice.

Make the last 10 days of February count!!

Kara

Replies

• Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Really.. Nobody??
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    Lets see, a 4 month old vs you???? This may sound mean but I would have no problem leaving him in his room to cry until my workout was done. The whole crying thing will eventually become shorter and shorter as he recognizes mom is in charge and I am not going to get my way every time I cry. Tough love and within a few days it will be over and your workouts will be yours. :smile:

I have 14, 11 and 6 year old so been there done that....

Good luck...
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Any idea *why* the crying? Doesn't like the loud noise? the music? Jillian's voice?

If you know a video well enough that you can sorta-kinda do it without sound, give it a shot and see the the problem goes away. If it does, might want to invest in a wireless headphone or earbud (earbud probably better -- that way you have one ear free to listen for real problems).

Could also be the floor vibration...some kids are really sensitive to weird things like that. Could possibly try a low-impact workout to see if the problem goes away with that.

If you're trying to do your workouts all early in the morning, might be just having the lights on or the activity. Doesn't take much to wake some kids up from their night sleep.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    At 7 months he's perfectly able to be ignored for 30 minutes if all his physical needs are met. I may be branded one of those awful mothers but I have four kids (19, 17, 14 and 9) and we homeschooled all of them all the way through. It was imperative that I carved out time for myself, even when they were babies. They will not be scarred for life, they will learn that they are not the center of the universe. If you have one of those jumping seats or a bouncy chair you can put him in there near you so he can be part of the action or put him safely in his crib or play yard. He will get to the point where he understands that this is just how it is. And you will still have your physical and mental health. ;)
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, so I would have to agree. Work out through the cry.:smile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    While many will tell you to just "let him cry it out" I can only imagine how much you will enjoy that work out - not at all.

My suggestion? Do you have a stroller? Put him in and take the kids for a long walk. A double stroller would be awesome too because 1) added weight 2) you could go faster. If it's too cold - do you have a mall? Walk with them at the mall.

You could also work out after they go to bed at night. Might not be ideal, but better than nothing.

Good luck!
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was about 5 to 8 months old (she's 2 years now), I would put her in a high chair where she could see me and I could see her. I gave her toys and snacks (if it was snack time). Every time she'd freak out over dropping a toy I would quickly pick it up or if my hubby or my oldest were around they'd get it for her. I actually have a picture of her napping in her high chair because she got bored watching me workout to one of my DVDs. I knew she was safe and she was where I could see her. Also, if I laid her down for a nap and she woke up while I was working out I would let her cry while I finished.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    While many will tell you to just "let him cry it out" I can only imagine how much you will enjoy that work out - not at all.

My suggestion? Do you have a stroller? Put him in and take the kids for a long walk. A double stroller would be awesome too because 1) added weight 2) you could go faster. If it's too cold - do you have a mall? Walk with them at the mall.

You could also work out after they go to bed at night. Might not be ideal, but better than nothing.

Good luck!

Very much this. A little crying is ok. It if they cry the entire time..... Not fun and too stressful. I used to have a little sled from Targer I could strap my babies in while I played in the snow with the bigger kids. Playing at the park with your kids is exercise! I used to either keep baby in stroller or baby swing and chase my kids around the park. Climb the equipment, do the monkey bars. Really interact with the kids. It might not be ideal but it's better than nothing.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    My 7 month old is just getting to where doesn't mind being put in the walker to run around, or being put on the floor with a bunch of toys. At first I kept having to pause my exercising because he'd flip out and cry, but now he is getting used to it. It is a tough call. If he is crying I can't ignore it, so right now I am just doing exercising that I can pause. Fortunately at 7 months the kiddo is growing fast. This might not be an issue at all in a couple months, or even a couple weeks if you are lucky. Sorry not much help, but best of luck to you.
  • Kara52217
    Options

Good luck!

thanks
  • Kara52217
    Options

Good luck!

Very much this. A little crying is ok. It if they cry the entire time..... Not fun and too stressful. I used to have a little sled from Targer I could strap my babies in while I played in the snow with the bigger kids. Playing at the park with your kids is exercise! I used to either keep baby in stroller or baby swing and chase my kids around the park. Climb the equipment, do the monkey bars. Really interact with the kids. It might not be ideal but it's better than nothing.

I live in MN so outside is not currently an option... I look forward to when it is .... believe me!!

Leaving him CRY is not an option because he literally SCREAMS ... I do leave him to cry from time to time as I need to but letting him scream for 30 minutes is not gonna happen.. Besides then as stated my workout is not gonna be a great one like it needs to be.,
  • Kara52217
    Options
    When my daughter was about 5 to 8 months old (she's 2 years now), I would put her in a high chair where she could see me and I could see her. I gave her toys and snacks (if it was snack time). Every time she'd freak out over dropping a toy I would quickly pick it up or if my hubby or my oldest were around they'd get it for her. I actually have a picture of her napping in her high chair because she got bored watching me workout to one of my DVDs. I knew she was safe and she was where I could see her. Also, if I laid her down for a nap and she woke up while I was working out I would let her cry while I finished.

I did have someone suggest putting him in something by me and I am gonna try that tomorrow. He is crawling so he doesn't like to be "stuck" but I am willing to try it .. Cant hurt ...
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Lets see, a 4 month old vs you???? This may sound mean but I would have no problem leaving him in his room to cry until my workout was done. The whole crying thing will eventually become shorter and shorter as he recognizes mom is in charge and I am not going to get my way every time I cry. Tough love and within a few days it will be over and your workouts will be yours. :smile:

I have 14, 11 and 6 year old so been there done that....

Good luck...

My advice as well.
  • Kara52217
    Options
    Oh and we went to the Mall today and I walked more than 3 miles inside but that too gets boring. Granted I am in MN so I was at the Mall of America but still we go once a week and that is plenty. now if only my Fitbit would sync for me!!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Don't worry you're doing a great job. You do the best you can when you can.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ignore them! Works every time.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it, he will get used to it! Try when he's sleeping, but if he's awake, put him near you, make faces at you, let him know that the music and jumping around is fun and ok, not freaky because it's different.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    A 7 month old may be just starting to have separation anxiety--is it that he isn't seeing you, or he perceives that you are leaving him? Perhaps put him in a play pen when he can see your face while you exercise. If you are placing him behind you so you can see the TV he may be thinking you are gone--hence the cry. Just an idea.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Don't worry you're doing a great job. You do the best you can when you can.

This also is very true. There are only a couple of truly SUPER moms in the world. Much as we would like to - sometimes you can't have it all (at once).

I had another thought. I used to use my daughter as a weight for strength training. You might get some pretty cool ideas here:

http://www.netplaces.com/pregnancy-fitness/exercising-with-baby/exercises-using-baby-as-a-weight.htm

ETA: OMG - I love the squat exercise with baby. That would be fun!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Im in a very similar situation. 6mth old and a 4yo, I work full time. Hubby is the stay at home parent so staying away another 1+ hr a day for the gym is rough on the already 11 hrs he is home with them. So far I have been getting away with waking up EARLY before the rest of the house. Like 4am early. I mute the TV and use 1 earbud for some music, the other ear open to listen for a baby cry. I am also doing JM 30DS.

I will say, I am VERY lucky to have a great little sleeper, so usually if I hear her fussing, she has lost her pacifier and just needs it back, no biggie.

Best of luck to you...I know how frustrating this can be! I tried the after bedtime thing, and by then I am way too tired, so far before work has been the best option.