Help! Working out when kids won't let you...

Options

Replies

• Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Don't worry you're doing a great job. You do the best you can when you can.

THANKS!!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    So if your my friend on MFP then you know I have 2 kids 4 and 7 months. But you might not know that EVERY single time I try to workout my 7 month old knows it and flips out.

Yesterday for example. I was going to get up early at 6am and do a video. Well he woke up at 5:30am. If I put him to sleep for a nap he wake up 5 minutes into my workout . If I try to do it when he is awake he cries until I give up. My 4 year old attempts to entertain him for me so I can workout since it is only a 1/2 hour video but Nope he wants nothing to do with it.

I do have a gym membership that I also use But I would like to do Jillian's 30 day shred or a similar video at home also.
    I could workout when Hubby gets home from work BUT then it takes me forever to "calm down" and then I am up late and then suffer the next day because of it.

So My Lovely people I need advice or suggestions, on what do to.

I am a stay at home mom so I really have no excuse not to workout but my little one makes it impossible.

Advice is needed and appreciated as long as your being Positive and not Negative.. There is enough negativity in the world as it is we don't need to harp on people when they are asking for productive advice.

Make the last 10 days of February count!!

Kara

Ask their father to get his rear in gear and take care of them for an hour. I mean he is your husband, and he should be willing to do his part and be a mentor to those kids.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    At 7 months he's perfectly able to be ignored for 30 minutes if all his physical needs are met. I may be branded one of those awful mothers but I have four kids (19, 17, 14 and 9) and we homeschooled all of them all the way through. It was imperative that I carved out time for myself, even when they were babies. They will not be scarred for life, they will learn that they are not the center of the universe. If you have one of those jumping seats or a bouncy chair you can put him in there near you so he can be part of the action or put him safely in his crib or play yard. He will get to the point where he understands that this is just how it is. And you will still have your physical and mental health. ;)

~this~
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The walker is a good idea. Put the baby in the walker, with finger food if he's eating finger food, put him beside you and let him work out alongside you. Smile and laugh with him and show him that it's really fun for you.

My other idea is a variation of "let him cry" but in reverse: tell him you're going to work out for a few minutes, then do so, but for just a few, like three, then say "All done!" and stop. Maybe even set a timer so he recognizes the "Ding!" as the signal that you're about to say "All done!" Next day, 4 minutes. Then 5. And so on. It will take you a month to get to 30 minutes this way but maybe he'll gradually adjust and wait for the timer and the "All done!" I think if he's left to cry for half an hour while you work out he'll dread your workouts and continue to cry. Going gradually with just a few minutes at first may give him hope that it's not going to last very long, and you can imperceptibly lengthen it.

Edit: Mom of 3 kids who are all grown up now, grandma of 5 :-) Been through it all!!
  • Kara52217
    Options
    WOW super woman you are! getting up at 4!!! Coodos to you!
  • Kara52217
    Options
    The walker is a good idea. Put the baby in the walker, with finger food if he's eating finger food, put him beside you and let him work out alongside you. Smile and laugh with him and show him that it's really fun for you.

My other idea is a variation of "let him cry" but in reverse: tell him you're going to work out for a few minutes, then do so, but for just a few, like three, then say "All done!" and stop. Maybe even set a timer so he recognizes the "Ding!" as the signal that you're about to say "All done!" Next day, 4 minutes. Then 5. And so on. It will take you a month to get to 30 minutes this way but maybe he'll gradually adjust and wait for the timer and the "All done!" I think if he's left to cry for half an hour while you work out he'll dread your workouts and continue to cry. Going gradually with just a few minutes at first may give him hope that it's not going to last very long, and you can imperceptibly lengthen it.

Edit: Mom of 3 kids who are all grown up now, grandma of 5 :-) Been through it all!!

GREAT IDEAS!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry i dont quite understand this " kids wont let you"

you're the parent and they're the kids. my parents made it explicitly clear from when i was a small kid that they had their "me" time (just like I was allowed to have my "me" time). i grew up just fine spending 30-45 minutes alone a day entertaining myself while my mom watched her soap opera or read her magazine
  • becmarkwick
    becmarkwick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Instead of a workout dvd, why not google some exercises that are 'circuit style'. You could do a set of lunges, a set of squats, tummy work, dips, jump rope etc etc but break it all up so its not frustrating for you both. So over the course of a morning, you could get it all done, but not at once. So put him in high chair with snacks and see how much you can do, then do a few more things later when he is happy doing something - sleeping, playing with a toy etc.

I agree its stressful when you hear them scream and I don't agree with crying it out for that long.

Be easy on yourself - 7 months is still so little and new!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

you're the parent and they're the kids. my parents made it explicitly clear from when i was a small kid that they had their "me" time (just like I was allowed to have my "me" time). i grew up just fine spending 30-45 minutes alone a day entertaining myself while my mom watched her soap opera or read her magazine

And it's imperative for a person to be able to be alone. What better time to get to know yourself than as a little tiny one? This isn't just for the sake of Mommy getting time to exercise (or shower or have a conversation with a friend, etc etc). Start them young being able to entertain themselves, for their own well-being.

If baby cries the WHOLE time the first time, I bet baby won't cry the whole time the 2nd time. It's harder on Mommy than it is on baby.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    How much exercise are you trying to do per week?

I don't mean to be unkind, but you have a gym membership and you use it. If you feel strongly about not letting baby cry it out, is it possible for the 1/2 hour workout to wait a couple of months? Just a thought.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

psychologically a 7 month old doesn't get this. They are reaching the point where Mom is either "here" or "vanished from the face of the earth."

I'm sorry but you were not that special at 7 months.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I used to have a screamer - he's now 13. I had a baby pouch - where I literally wore him while I did everything around the house - I don't know how this would work with exercising though.

Apart from that there were also times when I really did need both hands - I don't know if you can get these in the US - they must have an equivalent - but they are an absolute godsend - http://www.jollyjumper.com.au/
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Thats rough! I cant exercise when my baby is screaming either too distracting and i am too sensitive myself! You have got lots of good advice before this, let me see what i can chime in!
    1- Mornings, wake up at 6 and start the video, if baby wakes- ask hubby to care for her? Its after all only 30 mins.
    2- Walks around the mall- you are already doing that. Maybe twice a week?
    3- Do you c0-sleep? that could explain her waking up immediately if you are not around? If yes, you will have to fix that.
    4- put in some dance music/zumba and dance with her watching. If she screams, pick her and dance holding her. Strength + cardio lol
    5-get some dumbells and try doing those workouts from youtube?

Try a few different things and then stick with what you can. I totally get you on the night workouts. I get so hyper after my dance class on wednesday nights, i have a very hard time falling asleep!
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options

Fine for kids, but not the same as caring for an infant.
    Just 10 minutes of unattended crying raises serum cortisol levels in infants, not to mention what it does to mom's stress level. Lol
    But yeah, once they've left infancy they can entertain themselves while parents have me time.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've totally been in the same situation. Can't just do my thing and let them scream just makes me all stressed out, hate working out late or I am up all night. The only thing I've really found that works if I can't get in a workout while they are sleeping is kind of including him. Granted I don't get as good of a workout in but little things like tickling him everytime I squat playing peekaboo while doing push-ups. Whatever I can think of where I get to do my thing but he's getting played with too so not as much baby drama lol.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When my youngest was a baby, I just incorporated him into the exercise. Others have already mentioned it - squats, lunges, etc. while holding the baby. You could strap your baby into a carrier and do some light weights. Or do yoga with your little one on the ground with you. It may not be the perfect workout, especially if you have to chase after a moving baby, but it's still a workout.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why is he waking up? Can he hear you? Do you use a white noise source like a fan?
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My kids do the same thing. My one year old screamed at me while I was trying to do at home work out or she'll come stand right next to me. I just shoo her off to the play area with her brother and keep going. She's gonna get used to it.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This sounds very frustrating. I would try either putting baby in a swing or other device near you while you are working out or baby proof the area and put baby on the floor near you, definitely interact during your workout. Maybe you won't get as good of a workout but it is better than nothing and this is just a short season of life.

You mention you belong to a gym, does it have childcare? If it does the best option may be to do weights at the gym instead of trying to work around a crying baby at home.

Good luck!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you do not have enough time to train and sleep, then sleep faster. Arnold.