Whole Foods must haves?

Options
I'm making my first trip to Whole Foods on Saturday. What are your favorite items to pick up there and are there any "must haves"?

Replies

• goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Be prepared to spend a fortune... it's pricey.

I actually buy more and spend less at Trader Joe's.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    well i live in Austin TX so we have the GINORMOUS world HQ of the store (its not the biggest store they have though, i think that one is in Paris and is two stories :noway: )

aaaaanyway! Whole Foods is RAD! i love that place (except that by the time i'm done i'm exhausted lol such a huge store! i guess i'm getting my exercise in though! :laugh: )

hmmmmm things there that are gooooood? um.....well....everything, ha. they have a pretty delicious bakery with some pretty healthy fresh baked breads...ummm......they have a super good world foods section, if you like that kind of thing (i know i do.) ummm....OH! if yours has a tea bar and you like tea you should check out their teas! they have some really great loose leaf ones!

they also have one of the best fresh produce sections in town around here, lots of stuff in season and super fresh and delicious looking. they're also pretty good at having local stuff (i lived in New Mexico for a while and they were good with local stuff there too so i'm sure they'll be the same for where you live)

they're all a little different though so i dont exactly know what your store is like. i know you'll have fun shopping there though!

(if you cant tell, i'm a fan XD.......like most Austinites :laugh: )
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    Be prepared to spend a fortune... it's pricey.

I actually buy more and spend less at Trader Joe's.

the only problem is that trader joes is not in many places. there is no trader joes where i live. :c i wish there was, i love that store too.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My must haves are arctic zero ice cream and honeycrisp apples. Oh man they have the freshest juiciest apples!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes and Whole Foods are two different types of stores - not comparable. At Whole Foods - I get:

Han's Chicken Breakfast Links
    La Tortilla small High Fiber low carb torilla (50 cals each)
    Bulk whole wheat flour
    Bulk dried cranberries
    I often buy a package of their pre-prepared assorted roasted veggies - a great time saver but a splurge
    I think I get at Whole Foods (may be Sprouts) Walnut Acres low sodium fat free Tomato and Basil marinara
    Sugar Free maple syrup
    Organic canned pumpkin
    Whatever they have on special in the produce section - probably in season
    I often pick up greek yogurt if on special there - an Organic milk
    Organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Annie Chun frozen food - usually Chicken and garlic wontons

Can't think of anything else! If I do I will come back
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    My must have is Sonoma Chicken Salad in the deli section. umm... but I am pretty sure it isn't healthy...lol (not in the caloric sort of way anyway.)

Whole Foods doesn't HAVE to be expensive. I got an entire salmon recently (yes the whole stinkin' thing!) for $5/pound. Shop their sales. They aren't cheap but If you look you can find some really good deals.

ooh you know my other must have that isn't a food.... it is the World Centric plasticware. I use it at work for meals, and it is compostable. I SHOULD just bring real utensils but I know myself well enough to know that i will end up with all my silverware here and nothing at home if i keep doing that, and it will all probably be dirty and growing some science experiment on it. SOOOO... i used the World Centric stuff. They also make the plates and bowls I use for my lunches and breakfasts. Also compostable (made from wheatgrass) and very sturdy.

That being said, I usually end up ordering from Drugstore.com just because it is easier to have them delivered in bulk to the house...lol. They are about the same price at either location though.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    LOL I work 2 doors from a Whole Foods, we call it "Whole Paycheck" because that's what you spend when you go in.

In all seriousness, the Robusto cheese is amazing!!!!!! (well not that healthy but you need dairy) and the 365 brand (their brand) of pita chips are great and reasonably priced.
  • Mtscruffy
    Options
    I am hooked on the "Friendship" cottage cheese. I've never seen it anywhere else.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you like Peanut Butter...Go for their Freshly Ground Peanut Butter or Almond Butter...There is a big can and you press a switch and viola..you get PB/Almond Butter...The best darn PB/Almond Butter I ever had.

I agree with the apples also...darn good
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    First: GO HUNGRY. Their fresh food selections are ridiculously good! Soups, deli, hot bar, salads, it's all incredible!
    After you've fueled up, definitely check out anything that is confusing or scares you. Kombucha? What? Read everything! Give it a chance to see what it is.
    Do NOT pass up the Skyr.is
    It's Icelandic non-fat yogurt. Thicker than greek yogurt, personally I find it to be the best stuff on Earth. When I visited Reykjavik, being GF, I had to only eat that (which later found out the sweeteners are derived from wheat! My stomach only complained a little).
    Personalize the trip for you, and give yourself lots of time to explore! have fun! I love that place, when I have money to spend!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    LOL I work 2 doors from a Whole Foods, we call it "Whole Paycheck" because that's what you spend when you go in.

In all seriousness, the Robusto cheese is amazing!!!!!! (well not that healthy but you need dairy) and the 365 brand (their brand) of pita chips are great and reasonably priced.

Whole Foods can be shopped very economically................

Shop what is in season and what is on sale. I love Whole Foods and Trader Joe's........However, I am shopping less and less at these places because I am eating mostly local from Farmers Market and I just signed up for a winter CSA...........

I get my meats from a local meat market that only purchases from farms within a 35 mile radius of his store.

On another note, we don't NEED dairy. For a lot of people dairy causes EXCESS mucus production and secretion. I know that I am much better off with limiting dairy intake to very little cheese and some Greek Yogurt from time to time.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    They have a web site where you can print coupons. Now that I know what products I like, I picked up extra when on sale.
    My picks:

Live Soy Yogurt blueberry & raspberry
    Back to Basics Granola - to add to yogurt
    Puffin Peanut Butter Puffs - for a snack when I have the munchies
    365 Veggie Chips
    Daughter loves there in house sushi
    Horizon cheese slices
    365 Cheese sticks

I get my organic fruits and veggies delivered to my door for free from great price & local farms when possible:
    doortodoororganics.com
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The vegan orange cranberry oatmeal bars are to die for. Ask them to let you sample it:)

Oh yeah, and the hemp granola is super awesome. It can be found in the bulk area. They will let you sample that as well.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I buy all of my food at Whole Foods actually and I am not always broke, some stuff is expensive but you can get some great deals there. I buy some amazing stuff!

Such as:

Any of the Nile Spice brand soups
    All natural asian entrees
    Granola bars
    Veggie meat
    Meatless jerky (yes it exists) xD
    Almonds, different yummy flavors
    green teas
    and some random yummies!

All are amazingly healthy xD

(have been a vegetarian for 2 years heh so that explains the yummy veggie meat