Could breakfast make you hungrier?

Options
I usually wake up and eat a large breakfast. It may not be large to other people, but it's my biggest meal of the day.

I usually get extremely hungry before lunch time instead of just feeling satisfied.

Do any of you guys know if breakfast could make you crave more throughout the day, or to feel hungrier?
I would hate to skip breakfast, but if it keeps my stomach quiet during class during the day, I'll do it.

It's annoying.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    We all work differently. I used to skip breakfast and just eat from 11am to 8pm or something. Now I'm hungry in the morning and I typically have 3/4 of my calories by 2pm. Just do what works for you. But it has to be a pretty big breakfast (typically 600+ calories of filling foods) for me to be full until dinner... but I have breakfast by 6.30am most days.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It varies from one person to the next, but it's certainly worth experimenting with.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    It can depend on what you're eating. Fairly easily digested stuff like pancakes or waffles won't hang around nearly as long as, say bacon and eggs or a protein shake. Cereral and milk depends on the person...milk can leave me feeling a bit bloated for a bit, so I stay "full" longer...other folks digest it about as quickly as pancakes.
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Every body reacts differently. If I have a heavy meal after 9 pm, I am super hungry the next day (throughout the whole day). If I eat before 7 pm, I'm not hungry at all the next day.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If I eat high carbs first thing in the morning I am hungry all day - protein keeps me going through to lunch - I usually have a breakfast sandwich consisting of 2 egg whites, a serving of bacon (I like turkey bacon) or sausage, about a half ounce of cheddar cheese and a thin bun, english muffin or small bagel (whole wheat or multi grain). :drinker:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I know it does for me. Usually I only get coffee then I eat a little something after training around 1 pm
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I eat for breakfast. If it's carb heavy, I get hungry by 9:30 am. If it's a protein based breakfast like eggs, I can last until lunch. There was a period of time where I fiddled around with intermittent fasting and I was pleasantly surprised by how long I could go without breakfast.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    As already said, everyone is different, and it doesn't hurt to try different things to see what works for you.

I only have breakfast on my strength training days, and that's because I lift weights first thing in the morning and by the time I'm done I'm famished. But my breakfast is quick and really small, some bran, fruit, nuts and a cup of tea. Keep in mind I'm also really small, so that's a good size for me lol

Every other day I have nothing but a cup of coffee and water until 11 or 12. I just don't feel hungry in the morning, never really have.

And funnily enough, the day I started following the "you have to eat breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day!" thinking, is the day I started steadily putting on weight. I think I'll stick to what my body seems to like instead :smile: minimal in the morning, building up to a large dinner - it keeps me happy :drinker:
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For me personally it does. I'm rarely hungry in the morning and if I do eat breakfast, I most often don't feel satisfied all day. I generally eat around 11am ish, which lately has been a bowl of oatmeal that keeps me full the rest of the day till dinner.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I use to always try to eat some breakfast after all we were taught as children that it was the most important meal of the day. Over the last month or so I have decided to fast longer into the day (I usually just make sure I hydrate and have a cup of tea or coffee - mostly black) - I have found I still have good energy through to lunch any where between midday and 1PM. This said I am mostly sedentary in an office job and gym sessions are generally in the evening.

I suggest try fasting longer into the AM and just check what foods you are having for breakfast - I use to make an omelette type of thing with egg, cheese, onion, tomato in a Ramikan with a pinch of pepper and continental parsley on top - this served me quite well :) I have found personally to avoid milk and most commercial cereals.
  • HealthyAgain61
    Options
    For sure I have noticed that if I eat in the morning I seem to be hungry and focused on food all day. It as if I turned on the eating tap.

I have started eating in an 8 hour window and it works well for me. I am finding I can go until 11am or noon before I eat in the morning. Some days are easier than others but in general it gets easier over time. I drink lots of liquids and keep busy.

By doing this I find I then feel good because I can have two decent meals (lunch and dinner) with a small snack in between and still stay somewhat within my calories for the day.
  • fificrazy
    Options
    Congrats, your body is functioning optimally. Hunger is a good sign! No hunger means you're in fast mode. Or you've completely suppressed your metabolism and messed up your hunger cues through restriction. So hunger is always reassuring!

And I'm the same way! So I generally have a eat-a-thon up until lunch and then I'll finally feel satisfied. Which holds me until dinner... which starts up another snack attack generally. Lol. In a way, it feels like I have 2 big multiple hour long meals every day.
  • brifinn23
    Options
    maybe you could try eating a high protien breakfast that usually makes you feel fuller longer dont eat carbs in the morning because it causes you to be more hungry sooner
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Do any of you guys know if breakfast could make you crave more throughout the day, or to feel hungrier?
    I would hate to skip breakfast, but if it keeps my stomach quiet during class during the day, I'll do it.

It does me. I tried eating breakfast for three months at the behest of a nutritionist I use from time to time.

It was horrible, I was constantly hungry.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yep, when my breakfast is lighter I'm okay until lunch, but it's like when I eat more in the morning I get hungry faster.