HI :) I'M NEW AND WANTED TO SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Options
I'M NOT SURE HOW TO REALLY GET STARTED WITH THIS SITE. I HAVE A 1200 CAL LIMIT AND I'M NOT SURE IF THATS CORRECT FOR MY HEIGHT AND WEIGHT. MY GOAL WEIGHT IS 130-140LBS . AT THIS TIME I'M 219.6 AND I'M 5'4".
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOMED. IT'S HECK BEING VERTICALLY CHALLENGED.
I'M A VERY PICKY EATER. WHAT MOST PEOPLE LIKE I DON'T. I LIKE MEAL , POTATOES AND PASTA.
I HAVE A THYROID PROBLEM ( GOITER) AND I'M ON HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY AND HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. WHICH NONE OF THESE ARE A EXCUSE FOR NOT LOSING WEIGHT.
I WORK ALL DAY AND WHEN I GET HOME I DON'TWANT TO LEAVE AGAIN. I HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS , BUT THATS IT.
WE ARE MEMBERS OF THE YMCA. I DON'T GO VERY OFTEN, BUT I DO SUPPORT THE KIDS WITH MY MEMBERSHIP.
I'M NOT COMFORTABLE BEING THERE.
ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT.

Replies

• toddsrichards
    Options
    You gotta get away from the potatoes and pasta and when you eat meat...go for chicken, turkey or fish. No, it's not easy, but it pays dividends in the long run. 1200 calories is tough, but for your height that might be right. I'm on 1600 at 5'9" and I earn more calories through exercise. How long of a lunch do you get at work? We have a group of us that walks for the first half of our lunch here where I am and then we eat together the second half. I dropped a lot of weight fairly quickly when I first started walking. The main thing, as with any diet plan, is to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day and over time...you will lose weight. Good luck.
  • determined99
    Options
    welcome to the sight, the people here are very friendly and supportive. i think 1200 sounds like a low calorie intake...you need to change your weight loss goal settings to allow for slower weight loss so automatically MFP will allow you more calories per day. Also if you exercise a bit even walk you can log it in and use these as extra calories you can eat as well. I hope this helps a bit!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Did you put your goals at 2lbs a week? That's proly your problem. Try setting your goal at 1 lb a week- that's where mine is and I've lost 6-7 lbs per month here (roughly 1.5 lbs per week).

Food concerns- try out new foods. If you dont like them, try mixing them up in a blender- spinach for instance, you cannot taste in a protein shake (usually pair with a stronger flavor). Or try to prepare them in different ways. Every one like potatos and pasta, the key is moderation. The best way to keep those things in check is to eat your other

If you don't have time to workout, that's ok - focus on your diet, it is a much bigger determining facotr!

But you don't need to go somewhere to workout- I am a big proponent of gymless exercising. Here is a Body Weight exercise regimen- no equip needed: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/. You can also run (that last article has a link to a simple interval training, about 20 min workout) or walk! 30 min of cardio 3x a week is excellent for your morale! If you don't want to go outside at all surf around youtube for an at home workout you can make your own- yoga, pilates, dance, aerobics- they are all there! Also Netflix has a bunch of vids to rent and on instant play!

Anyway I dont want to overwhelm you, but the point is find a diet and exercise plan that fits into your life and work from there. Make the changes gradually and you will see a difference that doesnt cause you pain, misery or leave you feeling lethargic.

Look around- there are a ton of great support groups- I'm pretty sure there one for people 5'4" and shorter its called "Fit and fun sized" search for it on the threads here- I bet it would help to have a support group that understands your challenges!

Good luck!
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Welcome and I hope you find what you are looking for in terms of comraudery and support as well as motivation and accountability - most of all I hope this site helps you to find some success in your routines!

I know what you are dealing with, my mother is "vertically challenged" and has some of the same conditions as you, namely thyroid which I know is a HUGE contributor to being able to lose or even maintain a healthy weight. She has been up and down her whole life but not because of her medical conditions but because of her lack of willingness to stick to a program that works - my best advice is to never give up. This is not going to be an easy task and will never go away (even after you reach your goal weight, and i am not trying to discourage you).

1200 seems about right for your height given my experience with weight watchers and the Canada Food guide - I know someone mentioned they are nearer to 1900 calories but keep in mind they are a good half a foot taller than you. Her mention of earning more calories is exactly right - you NEED to eat the calories you burn in order to be successful so if you are feeling hungry and you don't think you have enough calories for a light snack - go for a power walk and then enjoy your additional 100 calories!

If you have questions or want more support you've got it for sure on this site.

Stay motivated and you will see results!

Cas

- I've made the decision.
    - I'm making the committment.
    - I'm seeing the results!
  • dvoelker
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WONDERFUL REPLIES.IT'S NICE TO HAVE A SUPPORT GROUP.
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    Welcome, I am 5'2" and if I set my goal to 2lbs per week it gives me only 1200 calories too. I earn more by exercising & usually eat all of those ones too. I am also a member of the YMCA in my neighborhood. I weigh a little more than what you posted. At my YMCA there are several water aerobics classes that are attended by people of many sizes (some bigger, some smaller than myself) it helped me to know I wasn't the only one "my size" there. Maybe you could check that out since you are already a member.
  • jasmines_mum
    Options
    I also have 1200 limit a day and so far so good....make me excercise so I can eat a little more every day!

I weighed 206lbs at the beginning of this journey 7 weeks ago and her I am now out of the 200s and weighing 195lbs!!!

I feels great and this website is a great support. Feel free to add me as a friend. :-)