Feeling Old And Left Behind

Options
I am new to MFP and to tell the truth just happy to have someone to talk too. I am at my all time high weight. I am 5'4 and at 176.
Not good and really not good for my age, I am 54. I was told about this program by my Dr.
My husband is an executive and I work part time in the beauty business of all places. Just trying to keep it together I also battle depression have been off meds for a few years. So much in life is just out of control, I want to control this.
I work out with Jillian tapes and I guess I am doing something wrong because they are no longer working. Does anyone know of some program that is better for someone over 50.
Thanks

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You might not be putting as much effort in to the workouts, so they won't be as effective.

For your food... you should weigh your solids and measure your liquids. It's incredibly easy to guesstimate wrong and end up way over.

I don't know if you have mobility issues, but other than that, you can do pretty much any exercise you want. How about getting a trial at a gym and trying a bunch of fitness classes?
  • traerjudy
    traerjudy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm ancient compared to you (67). I walk on my treadmill unfaithfully but with good intentions and do an exercise cd by Denise Austin just as unfaithfully. Getting myself to exercise is my biggest challenge. We used to do line dancing and I loved it so that's why I chose the Denise Austin cd. We live in a small town of 1,500 where everyone owns a dog and walks it/them at least once a day. We have no dog but I want :happy: to join the walkers. I have to wait until spring for that because we live in Iowa and it's mighty chilly here right now.
    I'm also heavier than you, being 5'2" and weighing 217. I really enjoy reading the posts. I find them inspiring but probably spend too much time here. I'm doing the low carb/,high fat diet and can truthfully say I don't crave sugar for the first time in my life and do feel satisfied throughout the day. The amount of fat I eat is still scary for me, but I have bloodwork done regularly for low iron and plan on comparing the results.
    Is there a reason you have been off your pills? I don't mean to be a pill-pusher but if you're depressed and they work....
    If your finances allow it why not join curves or a gym to meet some like-minded people. It might also help with the depression.
    Hope I didn't offend. Just trying to give a few suggestions.
  • dorsie50
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words, I am working out now and charting my meals. I may never wear a size 3 again. I could at least try for a solid 8. Thanks everyone.
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I am also54 yrs old and am on meds for depression. There is no miracle plan for weight loss at any age. I get on my treadmill everyday for an hour every day at 4.7 mph. Sometimes I run at 5.5 MPH for a little while. I track food and exercise and read these posts to stay motivated. You just have to start walking, eating less and it will happen. Not overnight, it will take time but this is a lifelong journey. Chin up, you can do this.
  • suecan2
    Options
    i am just a little bit behind you... and after years of battling (my heaviest 178 and im 5.5) i am down to 162. it has been such a struggle after 45 to move out of the 170's. oh my land. but... BUT... when i was told to up my protein to get equal amount of carbs to protein... then, i finally started seeing the weight drop off and my muscles sort of become defined. what a diff it has made. the way we look, is 80% of nutrition and 20% of our workouts and i am hear to validate this statement. look into increasing protein and see what you think.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and heavier than you and 5 feet 6.
    (I'll NEVER be a size 3. I have as sturdy frame. I'd be happy size 12 and thrilled to be a 10. A size 10 is a BMI on the skinny side of healthy for me.)
    As for exercise -try something else if Jillian is no longer working. I'm doing a 2x week class with the gals from work. it's quite intense-and only 2 of us are heavier-but the gals are supportive and it's working.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am 53, 5'5" and started about where you are. I started out my exercise very slowly, building up a little at a time. Now I am lifting weights (sometimes I can't believe I just typed that). Lifting weights is good for our older joints because as you gain muscle, you will not need to rely on your joints as much when you move. Lifting weights and resistance training also helps with bone retention and even bone growth. It is amazing and I plan to the be the fittest lady in the old folks home, LOL! My current program is a book titled New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. I am doing it at home, but I did have to invest in some exercise equipment. So far, so good.

Here are a couple of women to show you what is possible if you keep working toward awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clk6r8tjlno

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/californiagirl2012
  • lisatrish
    lisatrish Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi Dorsie and welcome. If you go onto Youtube and look up "Fitness Blender" they have some great free workouts you can do if you search "Fitness Blender low impact" you will find a lot of workouts that aren't hard on the joints - I have a bad knee and can't always do the jarring workouts. I have found that tracking what you eat really holds you accountable for your calorie intake. Good luck!
  • Karrasa
    Options
    The best way to make yourself be thankful for what you have now is to look at people who are in a more worse position than you.

I am only 26-years-old and dealing with arthritis in my back, neck, and knee. This is caused by a spinal deformity I had since my childhood and 2 spinal fusions. My pain level is normally at 6-7, but at a 8-9 when the weather is bad. If my pain levels are this bad when I'm in my 20's, imagine when I get older.

The biggest struggle I have in losing weight is doing it without my pain medication, as it will slow down my metabolism.

You should try Jane Fonda's workout videos. She has recent ones that target an older audience and she does a variety of different programs- yoga, strength, walking. There are also Walking Cardio workouts that are easy on your body, but you will still work up a sweat. Oh, yes- and Zumba is fun too. These types of workouts are easier on your joints, which anyone at any age should be concerned about. I really regret the stress I put on my body during my childhood and teenage years, because I still have my life ahead of me. But, I'm working on taking charge!

With any workout program, you may get bored with it or it may stop working for you as your body adjusts. You just have to change it up alittle and most important- keep going!

I'm sure you can get all the support you need with the MFP community.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are feeling down and lonely, this site will help you with lots of good ideas, compassion and information. I am a bit older than you (60) and weigh 219 lbs. I am in a new city, newly retired, and have not made any new friends so I can understand your frustration.

I do different things during the week for exercise. I walk around my block when the weather is OK, I do the WII activities that are fun and very challenging, and I just joined Fitness World and have done the 30 minute circuit. I hate exercise! I know people say they become addicted but not me. That's why I do a variety of exercises. I like the gym because it is only $10.00 a month with NO contract.

I started my diet and exercise January 2. I started at 237 and am now at 219. I must say I do feel better. I can walk across the house without being out of breath and can bend over better. I went from walking down the street one way to now walking around the block which is 1/2 mile. Its not a lot I know but its progress!

Stay with this site, log in daily, and write in these forums. It keeps you engaged in your quest for good health. By logging in your food intake, good or bad it keeps you aware of what your eating and can help with the grazing that most of us do.

Good luck and feel free to make me a friend.

Julie
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm ancient compared to you (67). I walk on my treadmill unfaithfully but with good intentions and do an exercise cd by Denise Austin just as unfaithfully. Getting myself to exercise is my biggest challenge. We used to do line dancing and I loved it so that's why I chose the Denise Austin cd. We live in a small town of 1,500 where everyone owns a dog and walks it/them at least once a day. We have no dog but I want :happy: to join the walkers. I have to wait until spring for that because we live in Iowa and it's mighty chilly here right now.
    I'm also heavier than you, being 5'2" and weighing 217. I really enjoy reading the posts. I find them inspiring but probably spend too much time here. I'm doing the low carb/,high fat diet and can truthfully say I don't crave sugar for the first time in my life and do feel satisfied throughout the day. The amount of fat I eat is still scary for me, but I have bloodwork done regularly for low iron and plan on comparing the results.
    Is there a reason you have been off your pills? I don't mean to be a pill-pusher but if you're depressed and they work....
    If your finances allow it why not join curves or a gym to meet some like-minded people. It might also help with the depression.
    Hope I didn't offend. Just trying to give a few suggestions.

Wow we are really close in height, I'm 5'2" weigh 219, I'm 60 years old and hate to exercise:yawn: