Protein Shakes as Meal Replacements....Advice??

Options
Hello, I'm a college students and I have 2 days a week where I have classes back to back and it's impossible to have a decent lunch. I sometimes take snacks like a fruit,a granola bar, yogurt, or nuts but after an hour my stomach is grumbling and I have hunger pains. I was thinking to start taking a protein shake to replace my lunch.
I want something that satisfies and keeps me full for long time.... Any recommendations on what are some good protein shakes.

Not sure if you need to know this but i'm in my last 15lbs to reach my goal weight and i do circuit training 3x a week and jog 2x a week a mile or 2

Thanks!!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• c_ristina
    c_ristina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to drink chocolate protein shakes from Ideal Protein. They are about $4 a shake though. Amazingly delicious, and i would last about 3 hours without feeling hungry. I have tried others to replace these ones, but they are def the best tasting!
  • lirirod
    lirirod Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks! i would look into those, where did you bought them??
  • AmandaJordan79
    Options
    I drink the Body by Vi shakes. I love them. They taste like cake batter. I bought the transformation kit and lost a bunch of weight. I'm really busy and can't always work out and the weight still melts off.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could make them at home and bring them in a bottle? I use protein powder with milk or almond milk, fruit and yogurt.
  • shadowfax_3601
    shadowfax_3601 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the powdered whey protein shakes from mustletech. I got it at walmart and so fr have been very happy with the results. I have been on a plateau for a long time and am finally losing weight again since starting them. I use the strawberry flavor as soon as I leave the gym, and it usually subdues the hunger pains for 3 to 4 hours on a day I haven't starved myself half to death. I mix it with water, and its pretty good. But you can always use low fat or fat free milk as well.. I have a shaker bottle, that holds the powder in the bottom to keep it dry and then you just add water and shake..
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I do body fortress from walmart and add tbsp of peanut butter and whatever else, maybe a banana and milk. Ill do that when too tired like alot lately and want to make sure I get at least my proteins met for the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    whenever i drink a protein shake for lunch I am starving like two hours later, so I am not sure if this is going to do what you want…

can you pre-make a sandwich and eat it between class or something? Eating real food is always superior to protein shake, IMHO...
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    whenever i drink a protein shake for lunch I am starving like two hours later, so I am not sure if this is going to do what you want…

can you pre-make a sandwich and eat it between class or something? Eating real food is always superior to protein shake, IMHO...

Basically this, the only time I drink a protein shake is at the end of the day if I have calories left and I need more protein for my macros. Otherwise you probably will be hungry after drinking one.

And don't buy 4$ shakes or anything crazy like that, get a tub from walmart and make your own if that's the route you choose.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Thank god, THAT. ^^^^

Real food is better than liquid food. QFT
  • valeriehocking
    Options
    I have been drinking some high protein shakes they are PC brand (superstore) and keep my full and energized. The ones I have are pretty small only 237ml but they taste amazing - I have the vanilla ones. But I too am in school and sometimes dont have time to pack a lunch, so I bring one of these and it ties me over.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Don't buy a pre-made protein shake /: Loaded with added sugars and preservatives and crap you don't need.
    If a shake is what you want to do, find a powder that you like and mix it with fruit or whatever else you want. I always add greens for a nutritional boost.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Pre-make a sandwich or something. If you're worried about keeping it cold, most places sell tiny little ice packs that will fit in a microfridge. Throw one of those in an insulated lunch bag and it will keep things cool for a while.

How about some mozzerella cheese sticks or some tuna mixed with some options of your preference and crackers? There are many options for you that you don't need to rely on protein shakes.

Keep trying different options until you find the option that works best for you. Don't just eat something because somebody tells you that's what you should eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think a protein shake is going to be very satiating and I really wouldn't advise a protein shake for meal replacement. They're more of a supplement than a replacement. I don't advise meal replacement on any kind of regular basis, but if you're going to do it there are shakes and what not designed for that purpose.

Why not just have a sandwich and an apple or something?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Basically this, the only time I drink a protein shake is at the end of the day if I have calories left and I need more protein for my macros. Otherwise you probably will be hungry after drinking one.

And don't buy 4$ shakes or anything crazy like that, get a tub from walmart and make your own if that's the route you choose.

agreed, that is about all I use them for ..as a fill in for protein macro…or if I am in a bind and in a rush I will have one for lunch on occasion ….
  • ldhfcrew
    Options
    I've mixed a scoop of vanilla protein powder in with my greek yogurt to make it more filling. For shakes, I use the GNC Genetix-HD protein powder, but for the filling effect, I prefer the LeanShake 25...you could also blend a shake with spinach and berries to make it more filling.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder to my steel cut oats in the morning. Using it as a meal replacement would not fill me up or last very long, as someone stated above, why not make a sandwich and take it with you?
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Make your own... none of this pre-made stuff...yuck!

If you're concerned about ingredients and quality ... my two favorites are:
    Nutrabio and About Time -- both pure whey isolate, gluten free, lactose free, gmo free, low/no carb sugar..

I just bought 8 lbs of Nutrabio (120 servings) for the cost of 30 servings of Shakeology...
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes as meal replacements?

No. Unless you want to be hungry again reeeeeeeeal soon.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your time in class is but can you split your lunch up? When I work I have a 15 minute break around the noon hour so what I do is make sure I eat right before work - usually eggs and vegetables, something filling - then I have a quick snack on my break and follow with my lunch after my shift is over. It seems to work well for me and I do keep water to drink while working. I can't eat on the job though so this strategy has worked well for me so far.
  • lirirod
    lirirod Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input... I'm going to stick with preparing snacks the night before.