Tips needed!

Options
2»

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it helps to learn to distinguish real hunger from grazing because food looks attractive. I like the suggestion of setting a 20-minute timer.

I was reading Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" last night. His basic advice is to "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." In the section where he explains what he means by "not too much," he notes that Americans tend to stop eating when their plate or bag of food is empty, whereas the French stop when they are full. Like all generalizations, there are limits, but in general, we Americans do seem to rely on extrinsic clues to tell us when to stop eating. When there's a lot of food always available, that's a problem. You need to learn to develop an intrinsic sense of when to eat, and when to stop.

That said, in my first 3-4 weeks on MFP, I got real hunger pangs, often. I was training myself to live on about 550-600 calories fewer than what I needed to maintain my weight, and therefore about 600-650 calories fewer than my body was used to eating (I had been slowly gaining about 6 pounds a year). Until my ability to draw on fat stores improved, I was frequently hungry. I just sucked it up, because my eyes were on the long-term goal. I did, and do, find low-calorie, high-bulk snacks to be helpful: especially pickles and celery. But after over a year of running a deficit (except for three weeks over the holidays!), I no longer need snacks unless I'm really hungry.
  • averyjo0630
    Options
    Thank you for all of the suggestions everyone!
  • SimplyMeKim
    SimplyMeKim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Today someone brought in homemade chocolate chip cookies -- seriously!!! I wanted not just one but the whole bag -- I wanted to steal it away and hide in my office and eat all of them... but I don't want to be fat --- argh --- so I didn't even have one. I wish I had something revolutionary to tell you - it's hard - everyday,. hour, minute, second.... it's hard. I just tell myself that fitting into my smaller clothes this summer will be worth walking away from the chocolate chip cookies and everything else. Also - I take all my meals and have my entire day planned in the morning so I don't have to think about where I'm getting my next meal. It takes about 30 minutes in the morning to get it all together but it helps me. I also workout almost everyday and that allows me extra calories to eat and drink..... Good luck - stay strong!!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    There are some great suggestions on this thread.

I also have a tendency to eat until I'm uncomfortable, rather than stopping when I'm (supposed to be) full. One of my favorite tricks for this is to get up and go brush my teeth. After that I don't want to put anything in my mouth but water for a good hour or two. This also helps cut back on the late night snacking.
  • J3nnyBeanz
    J3nnyBeanz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What are some of your strategies to keep on track when goodies are all around? What do some of you do to keep from snacking all of the time?
    Either eat them, enjoy them, count them, and make them fit... or avoid them.
    Lastly, what are some suggestions to help control feelings of hunger as my body adjusts to proper portions? (The last question is probably the most important because I feel like portion control is what I struggle with the most.)
    Eating enough. Get that protein, fat, fiber. If you feed yourself appropriately, you won't be hungry. No need for "proper portion" worries.

Exactly what he said and prepare your meals the night before so you know what you're eating and work in anything you might want. I truly believe you can have everything in moderation
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: replace sweet snacks in the house with fruit, sugar is not good for children either! eat a lot of protein, nuts & fresh veggies! if you have plenty of these things on hand to snack on, it makes it much easier to stay focused! when you feel you want to eat something you shouldn't, eat a handful of mixed nuts (dry roasted of course). pretty soon you will break the bad habits with good ones! take a bag of your goodies to work with you, that way it will be easier to stay on track! stay closely connected with mfp & your friends in the same spot you are in! be sure to log daily everything you put in your mouth, because this is very important! drink lots of water and stay away from regular or diet drinks!

I am sending you a friend request because together I think we can encourage & support each other!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    A glass of milk goes a long way with me. I'm not really a huge fan of drinking plain milk. But it really makes a difference in how you feel. It satisfies both a thirsty and hungry feeling. There are some solids in the milk-fat and there is protein for energy, and it really takes away that between-meal munchy urge and the hunger that sometimes comes earlier than expected. Plus, and extra boost of calcium and some vitamin D, good stuff.
  • vaishnavijayasankar
    Options
    Hey, I'm vaishnavi n from today on m starting my journey to loose weight....wel i luv eating but hav been over weight from my childhood days.....hav tried dieting and al the ways to loose weight...and now m wanting to try out myfitnesspal.....i really need tips on how to control giving into eating....al my diets failed coz i just couldn't resist food....pls suggest some ways to avoid eating junk....it will be of great help :)