T25 calorie burn amounts?

Options
I have been doing T25 for about 6 weeks now, and recently started using MyFitnessPal again. I am looking for some accurate calorie burn numbers from the T25 workouts. Has anybody with a calorie counter taken note of the average Alpha, Beta, Gamma caloric consumption amounts so I can log properly since T25 is not listed as a workout in the exercise area?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the only accurate calorie count is to use a heart rate monitor. I use mine and burn about 250-275 calories. However, I just recently started T25, so the burn might change as I get stronger. I definitely recommend a HRM! Good luck
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    On a T25 site, they said the average was 180-280, higher for some, lower for others. It really does depend on age, sex, weight, how in shape you are, etc. They also said you can't expect the same for one DVD to another...but it all as a whole usually gives you a great workout for the time and most people if they need too, lose inches and get more compact and toned.

For 25 minutes, you have to keep it in perspective...I don't expect more than I got running years ago. The after-burn though, that because of the effort involved must go on for a while, especially after the weight/cardio.

When I mentioned to my doctor, the more in shape I get, the lower the burn of calories, he said, like a better tuned car, you use less gas, but in better shape. Maybe not the best analogy, but makes some sense.
  • ssbmacdaddy
    ssbmacdaddy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I done do the plyo jumping and instead do the same move without the jump. I list it as low impact aerobics- probably slightly undercounting calories- but that's ok. I figure if I undercount I will likely loose more weight. I do not eat back the majority of the excercise calories. I also do insanity- so the videos are a bit longer.
  • smudgedj
    smudgedj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've just finished alpha and I'm on day 3 of beta

Male

I'm 5' 10" and 66kgs

For alpha:
    cardio was 240
    Total body circuit was 241
    Speed 247
    Lower Focus was 222
    Ab Intervals 137

Obviously your mileage is going to vary but at least you'll have an idea.

Oh yes - I took the readings after finishing the warm down and not at the 25 minute point.
  • maurabelanger1
    maurabelanger1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! As others have said I feel the best way to get an accurate calorie counter is to wear a heart monitor since the calories burned are different with all the workouts. I tend to average between 275-300 for cardio and speed 1.0, 245-250 for total body circuit. And around 200 in lower body. I'm only in week 3 of alpha so sure it will change again when I begin beta. Also I just created new exercises in MFP to include T25 workouts & then just add the calories in.

Also.. ? For group. Anyone know how long and/or many additional calories you burn AFTER a workout? Just curious. :smile:
  • khurrambutt
    khurrambutt Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Wat is T25 program wat you have to do in it?
  • muaythaijunkie
    muaythaijunkie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I recently just purchased a HRM and recorded my calorie burn for total body circuit and alpha cardio. I actually burned 375 calories for both. I see that other people have said somewhere in the 200 range, but obviously this varies based on age, weight and fitness level. As for myself I am 29 yrs, 6'2" and 193lbs; I also tend to push myself during the 25 minutes and go faster than the pace to get the extra burn.

maurabelanger: I can’t say for sure how many calories you will burn after as I stop the HRM as soon as the 25 minutes are up, but it will depend on your recovery rate. So the faster your body can lower the heart rate the fewer calories you will burn
  • beerogers
    beerogers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried to add the calories you've calculated to the database? It seems this program is catching on...? My husband and I are on day 4 of the beta round. We haven't lost a lot of lbs to speak of, but are REALLY reshaping it to muscle! I had actually stopped using this site, but want to start again to shed the lbs also!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    HRM will give large over-estimates for routines like T25. Whatever you're getting from your HRM, cut it in half.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    HRM will give large over-estimates for routines like T25. Whatever you're getting from your HRM, cut it in half.

+1. HRMs are designed for steady state cardio, not programs like T25 that use interval training.
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had used a HRM, and I did notice that my burn decreased over time as I got more efficient. I did lose a few pounds, and definitely some inches too.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I just realized that you could put the name of the exercise you are doing (instead of high impact aerobic for instance)in the data base. I search for T 25 for instance, it says "none", but allows you to put your own name in. It keeps it in your exercise data base, you just add calories. I like that because I used to put the info in comments but now it's one less step.

I don't really care if I'm burning 200 or 300...as long as I'm not gaining real weight and getting toned and in better shape and losing hopefully over time, I'm good. Nothing is accurate really...if something seems very high for 25 minutes, just know not to eat too much thinking you earned 700 calories.
  • drobinson0325
    drobinson0325 Posts: 1 Member
    Options