Running on a treadmill vs. open running

Options
I ran on a treadmill for the first time in years today. I have been slowly working the "Couch to 5K" program and running outside. I found it far more difficult to run on the treadmill. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Yarnpiggie
    Options
    Well... I am at the point where I will only run if I am being chased... However, I can tell you I find it much more difficult to WALK on the treadmill than I do on the ground. I am fairly certain that the issue is that the treadmill is moving whereas the ground, while moving very slowly, isn't moving at a rate that you can actually perceive (unless there is an earthquake.) ;-)

I truly hate the treadmill, though I can happily walk for hours outside. I seem to be able to walk faster outside than I can on the treadmill and have a really hard time, sometimes, getting the rhythm right on the treadmill.
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The treadmill works at a set pace whereas on the road or trail you get to alter your pace and intensity due to the terrain. Also you get the distraction of the scenery passing by and watching out for obstacles. I can't run for long on the treadmill as I get bored. I run on the trails around the hills near me or the streets after work if I need the mileage mid week. I tend to only use the treadmill if I want to work on my speed.
  • sweena23
    Options
    I don't like running on the treadmill too much either. But I have to sometimes cuz it gets dark so fast. Running outside is so motivating and fun that I try anyway that I can to do that instead, but you do what ya gotta do sometimes. I'm so excited that you are working up to a 5K!!! I did a similar thing and haven't regreted a second of it. I just finished my second 5K last week on Thanksgiving. You can do it... and the finish line feels so great! Best of luck. P.S. If I watch TV as I run on the treadmill it helps break the monotony sometimes...
  • queencelina
    queencelina Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Am I weird for saying I actually like running on a treadmill? I haven't been on on recently ( and I probably should) but I noticed that, for me, I run longer when on a treadmill than open running. I can't run on my own! Not enough motivation I guess! But props to those who can because I live in a hilly area and I'd love to run around I just get discouraged easily! ONE OF THESE DAYS I'LL RUN OUTSIDE! :)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    queencelia, youre not weird, lol...........I lost 115 lbs using a tread mill, and now I use the tread mill with eliptical, and stationary bike, and 5 times a week, I do 30 mins of strength training........
    I started using the tread mill first, then worked my way from there..........the tread mill is a start.........Lloyd