hormones

do hormones play a role in weight gain and loss?

age affects weight

birth affects weight

sex affects weight

i think hormones are the key to gain or lose weight

is that true?

Replies

• SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member

i think hormones are the key to gain or lose weight

is that true?

No.
  • there must be a relationship
  • Yes hormones most def effect weight. I have PCOS which effects my hormones & insulin but I am not diabetic. People with PCOS have weight issues. Also if you are going into or in menopause women tend to gain weight without trying and have a harder time to take it off. Just google hormones and weight and see what you get...

• i think hormones are the key to gain or lose weight

is that true?

No.

Yes

Look up insulin, cortisol estrogen, leptin, growth hormone and testosterone for a start.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    The key to losing weight is a calorie deficit.

That deficit may be different for everyone based on a variety of factors, but the science is still the same: calorie deficit to lose weight, calorie surplus to gain weight. Assuming you're a relatively healthy person with no significant medical issues, achieving a calorie deficit shouldn't be too difficult.
  • The key to losing weight is a calorie deficit.

That deficit may be different for everyone based on a variety of factors, but the science is still the same: calorie deficit to lose weight, calorie surplus to gain weight. Assuming you're a relatively healthy person with no significant medical issues, achieving a calorie deficit shouldn't be too difficult.

Take Home Message
    Saying that weight (or health for that matter) is simply a function of “calories in, calories out” is completely wrong.

It is a drastic oversimplification that doesn’t account for the complex metabolic pathways that different foods go through, or the effects that foods have on our brain and hormones.

Read on!
    http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/