Best Plant Based Protein Powder?

Options
luluinca
luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
My trainer challenged me to give up dairy for the next three weeks. I don't eat a lot of dairy but use cottage cheese, greek yogurt and a small amount of cheese to help build up my protein levels.

I need to know what plant based protein is good. I'm really picky about aftertaste and texture.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
  • luluinca
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check it out!
  • mikedurty
    mikedurty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein Unsweetened, Natural Vanilla. It's pretty good. Mix with 1 cup of Almond Milk, half a frozen banana, and a touch of honey and blend. It's smooth and tasty (for a protein powder :smile:)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I use NOW pea protein in a vanilla toffee flavor. It's also vegan.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've got two go-to vegan/vegetarian protein powders that i love.

Sunwarrior Natural Brown Rice Protein - this one is 70cal/serving, and the flavor is fairly neutral. I use this one when I'm making a smoothie with a bunch of sweet fruits and flavors, or if i want fewer calories but high protein.

Garden of Life Raw Protein.. specifically the Spiced Vanilla Chai flavor. It tastes like cake batter, ad tastes pretty yummy no matter what you blend with it. Also great with straight almond milk.

Sunwarrior is on the higher end pricewise, but I feel it's the best brand out there for vegans. Garden of Life is still great quality, but a bit more affordable. The latter is also available in single-serve packets, so you can test it out for yourself before investing in a large container.

Another note... go for almond milk over soy! Tastes so much better, and is actually really easy to make if you have a blender.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I really like natures plus source of life. It is pea protein, rice protein, and fermented soy. Its really low calorie,high protein, and tasty...plus bunch of extra vitamins. http://www.naturesplus.com/sourceoflife/products/productDetail.php?id=30595
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like Rice Protein Powder. I get the Nutribiotic one. I find this is the one that is the most gentle on my stomach.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What fitness lova said, rice protein has good results. I don't like hippy food but my wife had some rice protein leftover and I actually like the results I got from it. Result are always more important than taste.
  • luluinca
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. That's exactly what I needed. Hah, I already tried to pre-log today without the dairy and I'm pretty short on protein so I think I was right to ask the question.

Appreciate it!
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I use Vega Smoothie Infusions. Throw it in the blender with fruits and almond milk. I use half a scoop because I find a whole scoop leaves an aftertaste but the half scoop still gives a good amount of protein. I also use Hemp Protein sometimes, that one is my husbands favourite.