Explain 'EATING BACK' calories... ??

Options
I'm 5'3 and currently 184lbs. (Started at 194 and 47% BF. Ugh.)

I have been working with a trainer the last 4 weeks. He has switched up my workouts every two weeks. He also created a meal plan with me for the purpose of losing weight.

I workout 4-5 times a week burning 400-600 calories each time. My meal plan is very food specific regarding carbs, fats, and proteins ending with 1200 calories per day... regardless of workouts.

I've been told to stick to the plan for six weeks, no matter what. Can someone please explain why we should eat back our calories? And what effect does it have when we don't?

Replies

• walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    If you should net 1200 calories and you eat 1200 but burn 600 with exercise, you are netting only 600 calories which is probably not enough to met all your metabolic needs. You will then use body fat (good) and also muscle (bad) to supplement your metabolic needs. If you eat 1800 calories and burn 600, then you net 1200 and doesn't leave you r body with as wide of a deficit. I guess that is the way my simple mind understands it. You will probably also feel really hungry eating only 1200 calories and working out that hard.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer is not a nutritionist.
    If yours has you eating 1200 a day, then burning 400-600 calories, for a grand total of 600-800 calories net a day, he's an idiot. You can tell him i said so.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There is divided opinion on the subject.

Those pro eating back your calories argue that eating back your calories can jump start weight loss, by getting your body used to the idea that fuel will be provided when you work hard.

Another camp thinks eating back your calories is a poor idea, arguing there is not much difference in day to day calorie needs even when you do exercise and it promotes the myth of calories in/calories out being the key thing. The big MFP myth.

My view. Protein is the key thing here. If I exercise, and I choose to eat back calories, I mainly only do it with protein. This helps muscle, without having a negative impact on your diet (the key contributor to weight loss).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    because you are already eating at a deficit a deficit that doesnt take activity into account. activity burns calories which would create a bigger deficit. if you eat those exercise calories back then you get back to the original deficit you already put your body in.

and um, if you are truly burning approx 500 calories a workout session 5 days a week, you wont be able to keep that pace up with just 1200 calories anyway
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    If yours has you eating 1200 a day, then burning 400-600 calories, for a grand total of 600-800 calories net a day, he's an idiot. You can tell him i said so.

actually mathematically she's netting even less since 1200 calories was set up to already have her at a deficit
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I workout 4-5 times a week burning 400-600 calories each time. My meal plan is very food specific regarding carbs, fats, and proteins ending with 1200 calories per day... regardless of workouts.

It is highly likely your burn estimates are...optimistic. So really we're talking about a couple of hundreds calories difference for someone 5'3".

I wouldn't worry about it, unless the food your trainer has you eating doesn't make sense. As long as you can maintain performance of your workouts, you are (by definition) not under-eating.

Good luck!
  • lucy_suzuki
    Options

actually mathematically she's netting even less since 1200 calories was set up to already have her at a deficit

I don't understand what you mean by deficit when you say 1200 was already set up to have me at a deficit. Please forgive me, I'm just getting started and trying to do everything right.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

I don't understand what you mean by deficit when you say 1200 was already set up to have me at a deficit. Please forgive me, I'm just getting started and trying to do everything right.

It means that at your height and weight you need to eat about 1950 calories a day to maintain your weight. If you eat 1200, you're already creating a deficit of about 750 calories a day, which would translate to a weighloss of about 1.5 pounds a week. That's with NO exercise.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    To maintain your weight right now, you would probably need to net 1700 or 1800 calories, so netting 1200 calories a day is set up to result in weight loss
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Let us say that is just by doing your daily activities, you burn 1700 calories a day (this is known as your TDEE) and then you eat 1200 calories, you have created a 500 calorie deficit. If you then go and do additional exercise on top of your daily activities, say you run for an hour and burn an additional 500 calories, this makes your total calorie deficit 1,000 calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

We all burn calories all day long - sleeping, walking, brushing our teeth, folding laundry, work, exercise, etc (often referred to as a TDEE or total daily energy expenditure). Example, my TDEE is approximately 2200 cals a day, so in order to lose weight, I need to eat less than that - so if my daily calorie goal is less than 2200, I'm in a deficit and will lose weight.

That help?

1200 calories is considered to be the lowest recommended intake for women, but that's painting with a pretty broad brush since we're all different sizes, weights, heights, have varying activity levels, and of course different TDEEs. And as other have pointed out, your trainer is telling you to only eat that much regardless of activity, so that's taking an already low intake and making it even lower when you exercise and burn more calories, and leaves your body with very little fuel.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

Let us say that is just by doing your daily activities, you burn 1700 calories a day (this is known as your TDEE) and then you eat 1200 calories, you have created a 500 calorie deficit. If you then go and do additional exercise on top of your daily activities, say you run for an hour and burn an additional 500 calories, this makes your total calorie deficit 1,000 calories.

TDEE should also include exercise, it's your TOTAL daily energy expenditure and takes into account all your caloric needs
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It's kinda like having taxes deducted automatically from your paycheck and then filing and using that money that was already taken to apply toward your tax bill for the year, versus not paying any taxes at all and having to come up with the money at the end of the year. Except when you don't eat back your calories it's like saying, "no I don't want any money taken out of my check" all year and then when your taxes are due saying, "ok just take that out of the money you collected from my check."

Actually it's not really like that but I just spent the weekend doing taxes and I can't stop thinking about it.

To lose fat you need to eat less than you've burned. This difference is called your calorie deficit. Most systems rely on you having an overall average of how much you burn with all daily activities including exercise and every last calorie you're expected to burn. Your deficit is an amount lower than that daily average. Note that some days where you are very inactive you might actually eat more than you burned, but on more active days your deficit is even higher.

(Personally I find this annoying because I get hungry when I'm working harder and I want to be able to eat in a way that reflects my hunger levels.)

What MFP does is counts on all non-exercise activity being the same, but varies how much you eat daily based on how much exercise you did that day. MFP attempts to match your eating to that same day's calorie burn instead of a longer-term average.

So with the first system you might set a goal of 2000 calories a day no matter what, and included in this is the assumption that you will burn say 600 calories every other day during exercise. (And if you don't exercise, you will end up overeating.)

If you set the same expectations of activity and exercise with MFP, your goal would instead be 1700 calories per day, plus exercise calories. So if you did 600 every other day, you'd still end up eating an average of 2000 calories a day. As you can see, you'd then be eating 1700 on your rest days, and 2300 on your exercise days. For some this works out better.

If you use the MFP system and don't eat back your extra 600 after you burn it, this is the same as using the other system with a goal of 1700 a day.

If you are setting a calorie goal, it should be for a reason, because there is such a thing as too big of a calorie deficit, and you don't want to undereat any more than you want to overeat. So if you determined that your ideal calorie range is 2000 a day and then you go and eat 1700 every day, you're doing it wrong.
  • nursediva00
    Options
    I would base it off of how you feel. I rarely eat back my exercise calories. If you feel sluggish or light headed then you should probably eat more but if you are feeling fine on 1200 calories I say stick with it for now.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

TDEE should also include exercise, it's your TOTAL daily energy expenditure and takes into account all your caloric needs

I meant if the exercise was above their normal activity level, then 1700 would be there TDEE on a normal day.

Of course by increasing their activity level they are increasing their TDEE.
  • lucy_suzuki
    Options

It means that at your height and weight you need to eat about 1950 calories a day to maintain your weight. If you eat 1200, you're already creating a deficit of about 750 calories a day, which would translate to a weighloss of about 1.5 pounds a week. That's with NO exercise.

That makes sense now, thank you. BTW, your original reply made me laugh... Thanks!!!!
  • lucy_suzuki
    Options

We all burn calories all day long - sleeping, walking, brushing our teeth, folding laundry, work, exercise, etc (often referred to as a TDEE or total daily energy expenditure). Example, my TDEE is approximately 2200 cals a day, so in order to lose weight, I need to eat less than that - so if my daily calorie goal is less than 2200, I'm in a deficit and will lose weight.

That help?

1200 calories is considered to be the lowest recommended intake for women, but that's painting with a pretty broad brush since we're all different sizes, weights, heights, have varying activity levels, and of course different TDEEs. And as other have pointed out, your trainer is telling you to only eat that much regardless of activity, so that's taking an already low intake and making it even lower when you exercise and burn more calories, and leaves your body with very little fuel.

This explanation totally helped! Thanks for taking the time to help.
  • ambergaelle
    ambergaelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am beyond overwhelmed by the whole concept right now.... my MFP goal is at 1200 calories a day for mostly sedentary person. i want to lose no more and no less than 2lbs a week because thats what i heard was "healthy"... i recently started doing cicuit training (Jillian Michaels... and i do it the easy way cauz i srsly suck) and cardio 30 min 5 times a week.... I ve changed my diet to more "clean options" and left out the unhealthy stuff i was addicted to. i prepped my meals and becaue i eat healthy stuff instead of 800 cal a portion stuff i actually feel super full each day after all my meals... i actually struggle to get to 1200 because i dont want to go towards unhealthy more calorific foods.... I ususally add a protein bar to the addition to get close to 1200... I dont feel too tired or low or ill but i also def dont feel hungry so I dont eat my 400-500 calories burnt back... sometimes that mans my net is as low as 500... does that mean i wont be losing weight... i just started 2 weeks ago.
    here are my stats.
    5'7
    163 lbs
    goal weight is 133
    i have 40% BF
    26 year old
    female

someone please tell me what to do.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    someone please tell me what to do.

eat more food

and at 5'7 your goal weight is probably going to be close to underweight.

where did you get the 40% body ft from?

and given that you are close to your goal you should change your weight loss goal to .5-1 pound per week.

and yeah, eat more food
  • ambergaelle
    ambergaelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i got the 40% bf from my evaluation at the gym...its not hard to beleive; i have been completely sedentary for a long time and put on 30lbs that i didnt have 2 years ago. its all fat. not muscle. my BMI suggests a healthy weight between 119-159lbs which is why i set my ultimate goal weight around 135 and not under which is what i had before i went into a depression and got unhealthy. (tah tis not close to underweight AT ALL) i dont see how i "am close to my goal weight" when i am at my heaviest and only just started this. i dont want to lose .5lbs a week.. the whole point is to reduce my BF and lose the extra 30 lbs of fat i put on before the summer...
    Also id love to eat more, but am i noot suppose to trust my body... i find myself not hungry anymore when i eat clean. i mean, i could replace my healthy 350 cal meal by a big bowl of pasta with cheese and meet my calorie goal but im trying to get healthy and the portions of proteins, veggies etc fill me up.