Replace Breakfast With Juice

Hi all!

I'm having troubles eating before work in the morning (starting work at 07h30) and as I am trying to cut out a bit of the starches I take in, a sandwich for work is not what I want. Is it a good alternative to substitute breakfast with a glass of freshly juiced apples, carrots etc?

Thanks for any advise!

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Breakfast is not a must have, many, including me, just do not fancy eating first thing in the morning

Others of course will trot out the old wives tale of kick start metabolism, stop you snacking etc. Your choice

Strictly speaking breakfast is just that, "break your fast", so first food fits that, it could be at noon or 6pm

Juice is fine, watch out for the sugars though, some fruit can be very high.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You don't want to eat starch but you don't mind just sugar?
  • lolliemonsta
    lolliemonsta Posts: 8 Member
    I've found that in order to feel like I want to eat earlier in the morning, I need to stop eating earlier the day before. I finish eating all solids by 6pm which gives my body time to digest before sleeping and when I wake I'm actually hungry.
    Might not work for everybody, but it works for me.
  • 1808kristin
    1808kristin Posts: 23 Member
    Yes, I am trying to cut out (or at least reduce) starches like bread, pasta etc, because that is what I usually eat when I get hungry: sandwich, pasta and tomato sauce etc. So i was wondering if I can replace that with fresh (homemade, not bought) juice.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Fresh juice in the morning instead of solid food sounds like a great idea. I like to make a fruit and veggie combo juice. This morning I juiced:
    Sweet potato
    Orange
    Apple
    Asparagus
    Cilantro
    Celery
    Red Chili Pepper

It was really good and filling. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
  • 1808kristin
    1808kristin Posts: 23 Member
    Will try that. Thank you! But what is Cilantro?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    If you're not hungry in the morning then don't eat. Not eating when you're not hungry is a great way to learn how to eat less. I also do not understand this juicing thing as you get fiber if you eat fruit and vegetables whole and do not if you just drink juice. Unless, of course, if you really just love the taste of juice. I personally like the taste of donuts so I eat my fruit and veggies whole then enjoy an occasional donut.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Well ... I used to drink a glass of orange juice every morning. I can't eat in the mornings and it became a bit of a habit and it didn't hurt anything.

I cut it out to save the calories since I started gaining weight and needing to lose it, though. There's no rule that you have to eat breakfast, so if having juice in the morning makes you happy, go for it.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member

cilantro is a leafy green veggie -- somewhat resembling parsley.
  • To each their own. You have to figure out what works for you. I did the paleo, intermittent fasting, eating the biggest meal for breakfast, and eat small frequent ones the rest of the day, and all failed.

For me, a shake works for breakfast, then eating every 2 hours the rest of the day. Gotta experiment to see what fits for you and your lifestyle.

I personally do juice, and love it. I usually have spinach, or swiss chard with an apple or banana. Sometimes I'll try beet or carrot juice but living on a budget the spinach route is usually the cheapest.
  • Yes, I am trying to cut out (or at least reduce) starches like bread, pasta etc, because that is what I usually eat when I get hungry: sandwich, pasta and tomato sauce etc. So i was wondering if I can replace that with fresh (homemade, not bought) juice.

The poster's point was that you're replacing a sugar with a sugar, and one without fiber to boot. Juices are a good way to get calories and sugars into a body fast for fuel or recovery. Great if you're a diabetic whose sugar has dropped or an endurance athlete in need of quick fuel. In most other cases, the results are better with eating actual fruit.

If you're not hungry that early, why not just wait and eat when you are hungry?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member

Cilantro is not a veggie.
    It's an herb.

OP, you may know it as coriander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Cilantro is not a veggie.
    It's an herb.

OP, you may know it as coriander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander
    And it's so good in salsa.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    if you do not want to eat breakfast, then skip it and save the calories for later in the day. As long as you maintain your calorie deficit it does not matter when you eat…..
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I almost never eat before 11. If you don't want to eat, you don't have to.

If you want juice for breakfast, you can have juice. Just make sure you're meeting your calorie and nutrition goals throughout the day.

Nonsense about breakfast being the most important meal of the day is just that. Nonsense.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member

Seriously? It literally is quicker to google that than to ask that question.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    if you want easy.. boil a bunch of eggs and eat a couple on your way out the door.. super easy.. full of protein and healthy fats.. great way to kick start the day.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member

Cilantro is US speak for coriander (Coriandrum sativum)

OOPs just noticed already answered by others, sorry folks