Food Addiction

Options
It's embarrassing, but I believe that part of my problem is a food addiction.
Does anyone else seem to go straight to the fridge during stressful times? I've taken a long hiatus from this site and am hoping to talk to people who may have had a food addiction and what it's like for them.

Replies

• meaghandyer
    meaghandyer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I use any excuse to eat food. Junk food, especially chocolate, is my go to, but really any food can be bad. I am having a hard time breaking the cycle.
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do that too, when I am stressed or bored. Seems I keep sabotaging myself and I feel stuck and getting really frustrated with this whole process.
  • keykey48
    keykey48 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i am a total food addict and also eat when stressed or bored. i really don't understand the boredom eating, there are so many other things i could be doing.
  • TheVattz
    TheVattz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    And that's exactly what I'm talking about. Eating out of boredom.
    I don't exactly eat junk food, but I cook up a fatty meal and devour it like there's no tomorrow. Afterwards comes guilt with a little shame.
    Not long after I get another craving and eat some more, when I'm not even hungry. I have to be really steeped in what I'm doing to avoid cravings. Can't even watch TV because I get cravings to eat while I watch something.

What do some of you do to avoid or keep yourself from giving in to your cravings?
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i head for snacks when i am stressed/upset/bored... i'm bad with emotional eating but so far this week i've been doing well. i'd be happy to be friends with you and motivate eachother!
  • meaghandyer
    meaghandyer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me in the past is having something to do with my hands if I am watching tv or something else. If I keep my hands busy (knitting, playing video games, drawing, etc.) then I am less inclined to shove food in my mouth. Although I am not always the best about being consistent with it
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi i'v just done that had stressful morning at work headed straight for the biscuit tin now have to keep away from it all day other wise it will lead to very bad binge to bursting point really don't want to do that any more
    Got to think positively. So hard
  • mrsieve
    mrsieve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I seem to be addicted as well. Boredom, stress. A lot of the times its just because its there. I've been eating a lot more the last few days. At least some of it I attribute to hormones. (I don't have periods, but I still PMS fiercely). I'm definitely in with the chocolate (and ice cream) crowd. I've been making myself be sure to do a harder, longer yoga routine on the days I know I have eaten way more than I should have to try to make up for it. It helps give me piece of mind multiple ways.
  • lecounth
    lecounth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It may be a habit rather than an addiction. When we celebrate, grieve, go out with friends, etc. we EAT. When someone loses a loved one we feed them. . . it's ingrained in us.

When I find my thoughts wandering to "do I have a snack within reach" I try to refocus and redirect my attention by either getting up from my desk or at home I may wander outside. For me, it isn't so much that I'm a food addict rather than addicted to putting things in my mouth when I'm not hungry. I see the two a little differently in that a food addict physically can't stop eating.

Just my thoughts. . .
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am also a boredom eater. My bad time is between 3 and 6 pm. I have found that I Need to sit in my bedroom, drink 2-3 bottles of water and have a 100 cal bag of popcorn as my treat at 4. I watch tv, read a book, rad these post and if all fails, take a bath. Anything to get through these 3 here's. If I start to eat, it becomes a full blown binge. It seems to work. Also, I have started to weigh every day. Controversial as you have to be able to handle a 2-3 lb increase even when following your plan. It keeps me from shoving things into my mouth as I have to face the scale in the morning
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I can relate. Id love to talk anytime to people who also struggle with this.
  • tavasue
    Options
    And that's exactly what I'm talking about. Eating out of boredom.
    I don't exactly eat junk food, but I cook up a fatty meal and devour it like there's no tomorrow. Afterwards comes guilt with a little shame.
    Not long after I get another craving and eat some more, when I'm not even hungry. I have to be really steeped in what I'm doing to avoid cravings. Can't even watch TV because I get cravings to eat while I watch something.

What do some of you do to avoid or keep yourself from giving in to your cravings?

I'm addicted to food. It's as real as being an alcoholic or drug addict. I had to accept that in order to start recovering. I have to apply the 12 Steps.

As far as dealing with cravings, the main thing I do is remind myself of something a wise woman told me - "the high only lasts a moment". If I give in, I'll feel guilty which will only keep the cycle going. On the other hand, if I ride out the craving I'll feel much more satisfied. During a craving, I use breathing techniques, positive self-talk, and distraction. I avoid my trigger foods, such as donuts, ice cream, Entemanns, etc. I have also set up some "food rules" (No eating for at least 1 hour after a meal, No eating for at least 30 minutes after a snack, No trigger foods allowed in my home).
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: addict here :blushing:

you know the feeling when you are enjoying your meal, being lunch or dinner, but you already think or plan your next meal???

Yeah, that is me. I think about food all the time... Hope to break the cycle. add if you like.
  • artistintexas
    artistintexas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a food addict. I actually get the "shakes" when I am trying to wean myself off high fat foods. I am not a drug addict, but it sure feels like "withdrawal" to me and its very hard not to feed that feeling. Once I break through that phase and start making healthy food choices, I do not have that experience.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I literally cannot live without food.

:laugh:

No, but really, what you are describing, that's just emotional eating. A lot of people do it. Spend some time really thinking about it. Am I hungry or just bored? If bored, find something to do (clean, brush teeth, etc). Am I sad or stressed? Will food make me feel better? No? Didn't think so. Deal with what is making you sad or stressed, or distract your self in another way. Make a to-do list to handle your stressors, go for a walk, get some sun shine, call a friend, etc.
  • strohst
    strohst Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well ... however mine isn't just food it's also pop and juice .... Sometimes I even find a reason to celebrate so I have to eat food!! I eat when I'm happy , sad , bored , angry , I eat right after I eat ... I will do anything to get the food I want ... The other day I actually dumped out my whole purse just to find enough change to get a pop not because I wanted it but because everyone else around me had one... I don't know what to do ... I thought that being on here would help me but all I do is think about the next time I can go out to eat or how something would taste right now... I think about food all of the time .... I'm lost in emotions and don't know how to turn away from food / drinks.... I waste my whole days thinking about my next "food high" ! it's horrible ...!! I know the first step is admitting the problem but what follows... who follows up ... who do I have ... what can I do to break this... b/c even being busy doesn't help me !

Stacy ..... :cry:
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't believe I'm addicted to food but I believe I'm obsessed with it.

I think about food nonstop. It consumers the greater part of my thoughts - which is also why I love this site. Before I go to bed at night I think of all the foods I may eat the next day, what I might be able to eat on the weekend, what I will eat if I visit my parents, etc etc etc. When I'm eating my morning snack I think about what time I should eat my afternoon snack. Then I think about how I'm going to burn off the food and then refuel with more food. It never stops. It's rather annoying actually. I could talk about food for hours (which is why i'm going back to school to be a dietitian). I love learning about food. If I was edible, I'd probably eat myself :)

In any case.... many people are emotional/boredom eaters. When I feel like I need to eat something out of boredom I try to get up and walk aroudn. Remove myself from the situation. Clean if I'm at home (the smells and the process just don't get me going! haha).

When I'm emotional, I work on confronting the emotion. WHat am I happy or sad about? Why? How is it impacting me otherwise?

And sometimes, I just know I'm going to eat so I try to pick the lowest calorie snacks I can find. I ALWAYS have to do something with my hands. So I choose things like air pop popcorn and literally eat a kernel at a time. I slice strawberries up so it takes longer to eat them. I have dry cereal for a snack bc that also takes long time toe at.

I recently had surgery to remove ovarian cancer. I didn't really deal with the emotions that came with it. Last night I tried to eat my emotions as I was frustrated by my new workout restrictions and the inability to have sex for several weeks... on top of the diagnosis itself. This morning I learned and faced the truth that I didn't actually eat any of my emotions. They are still there. But today I have to deal with them. Only difference is that today when I'm dealing with them I feel disgusting because of my actions last night.

It's so important to think before you eat. Think about why you are eating. And ask yourself is it really going to help? is your problem/emotion still going to be there afterwards?

I just spewed out a lot of word vomit......