In your opinion, what's the best way to prepare for a 5k?

Options
I feel like the obvious answer here is run, run, run, but I'm just curious as to how others prepared beforehand. I walk/hike 3-5 miles daily, but I'm just curious as to the best way to build myself up to actually running all of the 5k. Should I start out running as much as possible, then walk until I'm rested, and begin running again? Should I start out at a steady jog and continue until I can't go any longer? I've had people suggest the Couch to 5k app also, and I downloaded it, but was curious to get others' opinions first on what worked best for them. I have just a few weeks to train, so the sooner I get started, the better. Thanks for the help in advance y'all! =)

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    It depends...can you already run a mile comfortably without stopping? Can you do it several times a week? Then C25K might be too 'beginner' for you. How long do you have to train, and do you want to run the whole thing?

The easiest thing to do is go out and jog for 10 minutes. Don't sprint, just keep an easy pace. See if it was easy or difficult. Walking is good, but it is still a lot different than running.

If its easy - go out and jog for a little longer the next time. If its difficult and you have to stop a lot, then maybe C25K is what you need.

Get good shoes though. Most of the injuries that new runners get are going to be caused by one of three things: Too much running too soon, running too fast, or bad shoes.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT124
    LeGaCyGiAnT124 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above.

I just started running at the beginning of this year. I recommend seeing how much stamina you have. I was able to jog for 17 minutes without stopping at a 5.5mph pace. The key is to find a pace you can control your breathing with. Good shoes are a must. I love Asics. I swear by them now. They are extremely comfortable!!!

A good routine would be to jog 10 minutes and take a walk for a minute or two to catch your breath and start back up again.

I finiished my 5K on the treadmill in 32:57. The snow just keeps rolling in, so I haven't been able to run outside yet. Good luck!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against the grain and say stick to the C25K program. You have a good base set up for walking....but running and walking are two different fields. You legs will still need time to adjust to the new routine you are in, and the biggest injury causer for new runners is going out and doing too much to soon. C25K will be easy the first 3 weeks or so...that is true. But just because it is easy doesn't mean that your legs aren't adjusting. If the C25K is too easy for you, then bring in some extra cross training afterwards or on your rest days. The whole point of C25K is to transition you into running for 30 minutes straight. From that base you can add more and more, to what ever your ultimate goal ends up being. But always start easy and then build up...get into that habit of starting out to maintain injury free.

One thing I have noticed, people on here are so quick to tell others to build a walking base before C25K, but the minute someone shows up with a walking base, it changes to "Oh, C25K will be too easy." Don't fall into that trap. You want to go into this with an injury free mind set.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for me it's doing something like the c25k program. i'm doing the zombies run version ad i love it because it plays on my phone while i run and gives verbal cues when it's time to run and walk. it's also an 8 week progression.

i think this way is best for me because if i left it up to mu own devices to make up a plan i wouldnt do it, or if i left it up to my own devices to run until i cant run anymore then walk to catch my breath then i'd very easily talk myself out of the run portions. also this way it's not leaving it up to me to obsess about time (which i think makes the run more tense),

i agree with the poster above me, i looked at the c25k program and it's pretty similar to the zombies program in that the program really ramps up by week 4. depending on your fitness level, week 1 might be super easy but resist the urge to skip and go straight to week 2.

it's probably taken me 6 weeks to through the first 4 weeks, but it is pretty nice to see that even though there's a big ramp up i am able to get through it :happy:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    C25K all the way! It has many many succesful graduates, so there's lots of advice and support available from thsoe who are currently doing it or have done it.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Try running 5k and then see where you are at. For many people it is possible to run this distance without any training at all.
  • gpiercebutler
    gpiercebutler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The thing not mentioned here is a lot of c25k have exercises and stuff to build your muscles. I did the zombies run one and every week there were bits of skipping or squatting or something else. I am super probe to shin splints but they weren't really an issue so I really believe they are well designed to build you up without injury
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against the grain and say stick to the C25K program. You have a good base set up for walking....but running and walking are two different fields. You legs will still need time to adjust to the new routine you are in, and the biggest injury causer for new runners is going out and doing too much to soon. C25K will be easy the first 3 weeks or so...that is true. But just because it is easy doesn't mean that your legs aren't adjusting. If the C25K is too easy for you, then bring in some extra cross training afterwards or on your rest days. The whole point of C25K is to transition you into running for 30 minutes straight. From that base you can add more and more, to what ever your ultimate goal ends up being. But always start easy and then build up...get into that habit of starting out to maintain injury free.

One thing I have noticed, people on here are so quick to tell others to build a walking base before C25K, but the minute someone shows up with a walking base, it changes to "Oh, C25K will be too easy." Don't fall into that trap. You want to go into this with an injury free mind set.

+1
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It depends...can you already run a mile comfortably without stopping? Can you do it several times a week? Then C25K might be too 'beginner' for you. How long do you have to train, and do you want to run the whole thing?

The easiest thing to do is go out and jog for 10 minutes. Don't sprint, just keep an easy pace. See if it was easy or difficult. Walking is good, but it is still a lot different than running.

If its easy - go out and jog for a little longer the next time. If its difficult and you have to stop a lot, then maybe C25K is what you need.

Get good shoes though. Most of the injuries that new runners get are going to be caused by one of three things: Too much running too soon, running too fast, or bad shoes.

This.

People in reasonably good cardiovascular shape can probably go out today and finish one if need be. It won't necessarily be pleasant, and you may hurt after, but it could be done. My point of saying that is NOT suggesting you don't train but don't feel roped into the C25K. If you walk at a decent pace already, it may just be starting too small for you. Go out and run easy and see how you do. If you can't say a sentence without gasping for air, you are running too fast. Endurance first, speed later. Too much too soon is certainly a concern for any new runner, so whatever you choose just keep an eye out for aches and pains that get worse or don't go away.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I feel like the obvious answer here is run, run, run, but I'm just curious as to how others prepared beforehand. I walk/hike 3-5 miles daily, but I'm just curious as to the best way to build myself up to actually running all of the 5k. Should I start out running as much as possible, then walk until I'm rested, and begin running again? Should I start out at a steady jog and continue until I can't go any longer? I've had people suggest the Couch to 5k app also, and I downloaded it, but was curious to get others' opinions first on what worked best for them. I have just a few weeks to train, so the sooner I get started, the better. Thanks for the help in advance y'all! =)

OK, I'll deviate from the rest and suggest that C25K may not be right for you. there is probably a lot of benefit in using a structured plan as perceived exertion isn't a great indicator of how you're pushing yourself to progress. I suspect that you'd find the first three to four week sof C25K a bit underwhelming, although as you have it there is value in trying it to see how it feels.

Adaptation to running form is significant in your success, you don't want to give yourself an overuse injury, and the loads on the knees, ankles and lower leg is quite different from walking.

Personally I used the NHS C25K podcast, so that I could also use Runkeeper to track progress. I now use Endomondo, and on the premium version it has customisable training plans. It'll give you a 12 minute test to assess current fitness, and then you can inject the criteria; distance, date, days to train etc for it to give you a plan. I'm currently using that to improve my 10Km time.

Key points would be; make sure you have fitted running shoes, take advice from a running shop on that. don't run every day, leave yourself a day off after a run until ou're better conditioned. I now run 5 days per week but it's taken nine months to get there.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Preach it! I sustained two overuse injuries by pushing myself very hard to go fast, and further, than what training programs outlined, as well as not doing cross training to alleviate/prevent muscle imbalances. Be patient and enjoy the journey, and throw in some cross training (Lifting).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... and throw in some cross training (Lifting).

Resistance trainning of some kind :) Needn't be lifting.

Initially I was rowing as well, a pretty thorough ful body workout in its own right, now I use bodyweight circuits as I can do that without access to any kit. It's easy to make them progressively tougher
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Preach it! I sustained two overuse injuries by pushing myself very hard to go fast, and further, than what training programs outlined, as well as not doing cross training to alleviate/prevent muscle imbalances. Be patient and enjoy the journey, and throw in some cross training (Lifting).

I agree with both of these posters! C25K isn't just for being able to run and not die in the process, it helps your body build up to running. I injured myself the first two times I did the C25K because I got impatient and went too hard too fast. Third time was the charm and now I run 3-3.5 miles 3-4 times a week comfortably.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

I agree with both of these posters! C25K isn't just for being able to run and not die in the process, it helps your body build up to running. I injured myself the first two times I did the C25K because I got impatient and went too hard too fast. Third time was the charm and now I run 3-3.5 miles 3-4 times a week comfortably.

Another vote for C25k. I am now on W7, and I started with a pretty solid walking base similar to you, OP. Running is a whole different ballgame, and C25k has been a HUGE help in improving my cardio endurance. I keep track of my heart rate and it's crazy how much more endurance I have in just 7 weeks.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I used the C25k program when I started running, but then I switched over to another method and it has worked great for 5k or even longer distances. I'm in Canada, and it's the method used by the Running Room running groups across Canada. It can be modified for longer distances, but in the 5k running group and works as follows:
    week 1 -- run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute (3 intervals, 3x/week)
    week 2 -- run 7 minutes/ walk 1 minute (3 intervals, 3x/week)
    week 3+4 -- run 10 minutes/walk 1 minute (2 intervals, 3x/week)
    week 4+5 -- run 10 minutes/walk 1 minute (3 intervals, 3x/week)
    week 6 and onward -- run 10 minutes/walk 1 minute (4 intervals, 3x/week)

You can stay on any given week longer to build up your stamina.
    The idea is to give your body that minute of rest in order to increase your endurance.
    This method can be used to run any distance, but the distance runners tend to increase their running interval eventually. The idea (for shorter distances) is that your pace will increase in that 10 minute running interval as long as you keep giving your body that 1 minute to recover. It does work!
    Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the app or anything, but I started running 1 mile here, 1.5 there, and gradually built up to where I was going for 3-4 runs per week, then I built those runs up by 0.5 - 1mi every few weeks. This is just me, but I never saw the benefit of a run/walk interval because I walk all the time. I ran distances (out and back) I knew to be safe for my abilities at the time, now I frequently just "get lost."
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

+1

+2
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will get very technical and try to tell you exactly what you should do. They're not wrong, but they're also not you.

My advice...run every other day. Run as far and as fast as you feel comfortable. On your off days you can do some lower impact cardio if you can fit it in.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Really depends on a lot of things. Using a cookie cutter program would be best, assuming you are a beginner. Make sure you understand your running stride, form and get proper running shoes. A local shoe store should be able to help you. This is important, because it will prevent injuries and allow you to have your best performance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There are numerous training programs available for running a 5K and beyond. Or you could just go out and run. I found that following a program worked best for me as it involved more than just steady runs...lots of interval work, hills, etc...I'm still not a very good runner, but I made a lot more headway following a program than I did just out running on my own.