Poop Question.

Options
Please don't read this for your own amusement, I'm looking for genuine insight and advice.

So, I started my weight loss journey back in December. My bm's were actually becoming more regular. Last week I had my period in which I usually am glued to the toilet, but the complete opposite happened. I was thinking my constipation had something to do with taking antacid tablets to assist my pain killers for cramps. But I feel it should be out of my system by now. I've been taking senna tea for a few days and it gave me diarrhea but I still feel backed up after each movement and without the senna I never get the sensation of having to go. What'a wrong with me?? I'm eating so much healthier than i have all my life.

Replies

• louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Be interested in answers to this, I've become more regular to but even when I've been, i still feel as tho I need to go ... Which I can't. Can make me feel bit sluggish at times even tho I'm going more regular and it can put me off doing exercise at times as I feel too bloated to be doing crunches and jumping around
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    was there codeine or any other opiate in the painkillers? if so that'd be the reason for the constipation. no idea if antacids would make that better or worse
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I tend to find the more natural and healthier I eat, the less I go - I have a theory that more of my intake is used so there is less waste? But that's just my theory...
  • Junctionbox
    Junctionbox Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tend to find the more natural and healthier I eat, the less I go - I have a theory that more of my intake is used so there is less waste? But that's just my theory...

^^^ This is same for me too. I was going three times a day before and now it is once, maximum.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    I stay away from antacids because they constipated me for weeks. How long has it been since you have had a BM?
  • stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is a problem a lot of people have when they first start dieting - even though you're eating healthier, you're still probably eating less fiber than your body is used to plus less water (purely due to the water content in your food). If you're getting constipated, you need lots and lots of water (if a drink contains caffeine, you only take in approximately 20% of the water. so if you drink a 330ml can of diet coke, you'll effectively only take in 66ml - so make sure you're getting at least 2L a day) and try taking a fibre supplement. You can get flavourless powders that you add to tea and coffee, and I swear by them.
  • stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Also, according to doctors, you should be going anywhere between 3 a day and 1 every 3 days.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    IMO More water and exercise. When I feel bloated, etc. I still exercise and that seems to help push thru the system.
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've never been normal with my bms for as long as I can remember. I didn't matter how healthy I ate. My son can go like 4 times a day. I'm so jealous. I eat about 50 grams of fiber a day and I still don't go. So for the last two months, I take two stool softeners in the morning as well as two senna tablets. My doctor suggested it and it's safe. I drink about 2 to 3 liters of water a day. It doesn't get everything out during the week, but it helps relieve the bloating along with daily doses of acidiliphous-a blessing if constipation makes you gassy. On my weigh-in date, I'll take two correctol the night before to flush everything out to get a proper weigh-in the next morning.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Magnesium can also help move things along.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Have you stopped drinking coffee? Stopped eating artificially-sweetened foods? Lowered your fiber intake? Had a break from exercise?

Any of those can contribute to constipation. Rather than taking senna, which can cause cramping and is basically a laxative, try increasing fiber and water. That can usually improve things, and if that doesn't work then I think you should see a doctor. Sudden changes in bowel habits are never a good sign.
  • docbrox87
    Options
    Sometimes after a period of gastrointestinal disturbance your guts get kind of "out of sync". If you feel you've lost some regularity you can try to retrain the nervous system a little. In the morning (after you have eaten) go to the loo and "try". Even if you don't need to go, just push and go through the motions of a bowel movement. It sounds gross but it can help to get your body back into a rhythm of pooping! You can try this after every meal, don't force to the point of pain/hernia!!!! But just go through the motions as it were.
    Also make sure you drink plenty water and maybe try introducing some flaxseed into your diet, again just to help kickstart things a little. You mentioned you had diarrhea so sometimes it can take a while for the flora of the gut to rebuild and for things to settle to back to normality.
    But I'm not a medical Dr (just a PhD) so if things don't improve soon then maybe go see someone expert!
  • Greytfish
    Options
    You're probably getting less fiber, less water, and have less magnesium.

I would try a stool softener instead of a laxative of any kind.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise, plenty of water, and a daily pro biotic. Takes a week or so to get you straightened out, but it will help. Also helps with gas and bloating.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like you have to go without taking the Senna, I would stop taking it. There's no need to take laxatives/softeners unless you're actually constipated.

How much water are you drinking? I've been backed up the last few days, and it was because I didn't have nearly enough water in my system.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Do you track your cycle? You may notice a pattern linking your BM and menstrual cycle.

I was diagnosed with severe endo and noticed that during my period and a few days afterwards, I always felt bloated even though I had a BM. I think it was cysts thingy on my fallopian tube/ovary pushing against my colon (?). Thankfully, I don't suffer from that issue anymore because I had surgery to remove the vile part that was causing this.
  • Refrigerator1
    Refrigerator1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely the pain killers. I am married to a surgeon, and he always tells his patients to drink lots of water and try to take as few pain pills as possible. He will also bring them dried fruit as a present and tells them to eat it for fiber. If you get impacted (can't poop) you will have to try enemas. If that does not help, you have to go to the hospital and have it "dug out". Nasty I know, but from what I hear, very painful and very embarrassing. You should call your physicians nurse or PA and ask for their advice on the best way to handle the situation.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I always feel "full" and a little constipated during TOM. And then when it is done everything will move out in a big way! Not sure why. I have looked online to see if others have this issue, and I have read of a few. . . .
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    It is absolutely the pain killers. I am married to a surgeon, and he always tells his patients to drink lots of water and try to take as few pain pills as possible. He will also bring them dried fruit as a present and tells them to eat it for fiber. If you get impacted (can't poop) you will have to try enemas. If that does not help, you have to go to the hospital and have it "dug out". Nasty I know, but from what I hear, very painful and very embarrassing. You should call your physicians nurse or PA and ask for their advice on the best way to handle the situation.
    At home on the toilet with a rubber glove and some lube= relief with out the medical bills!:drinker:
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Did you cut your fat intake too low? This and too low in water consumption are the two most common issues contributing to constipation according to my doctor. At least .3 g of fat per lb of weight is the general recommendation for healthy hormone and digestive system. Normally I have to be on a low carb/high fat diet for health reasons and I was never more regular in my life than while on that!