I have no idea what I am doing

Options
I am trying to lose weight (from my BMI I'm classed as obsese :() so I joined Weight Watchers last month. I lost 3 stone with WW in 2012 without doing any exercise but this time I want to get fit too. I have been going to the gym 4 times a week doing a mixture of classes, weights and cardio. In the gym I have been doing 15 seconds of going as fast as I can on the crosstrainer every 3 mins for half an hour with a 5 min cool down after. Then i've been doing 3 sets of 12 reps on pretty much all the weights machines along with squats, leg lifts, crunches etc. Last week I PUT ON weight and this week is looking like I've not lost any of that weight even though I a having arounf 1600 calories a day and exercising. I have read it is normal to put on (as demotivating as it is). I just wonder if I am doing things right because I really have no idea what I should be doing for the best. I feel like I diet for 6 months, lose the weight I want then start eating "normally" again (i.e. like a big fat pig). I don't want to think like that any more. I want to make a change for life. Any advice would be appreciated please xxx

Replies

• DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    What are your fitness goals?
    How long are you spending in the gym?
    How many days are you in the gym?
    How tall are you?
    How old are you?
    Do you weigh and measure all you're food?
  • morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar position, I could diet for a while, then seemed to slip back and put the weight back on. A while back i googled 'how to eat like a slim person' and a lots of books came up. I read and followed Beck: Diet solution. It doesn't tell you what to eat, but helps you tackle your bad habits.

The truth was I was eating more than I was willing to admit. All those little nibbles, all those times I ate when I wasn't hungry, ate too quickly etc.It really made me face up to my bad habits and has helped me lose weight (using WW) easily and without feeling deprived.The first step is to think about why you want to lose weight, to help you get and stay focused. Then you tackle a small habit at a time. No big changes, only small ones that add up.

It may or may not suit you, but I found WW was not enough. I don't like the classes (I hate people talkng about being good or bad, good or bad food, it used to impact on my self esteem too much) and I knew WHAT to eat, just not HOW to eat.
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow, ok.
    Fitness goals - no idea. I'm more about losing weight tbh
    Spending around 70 mins in the gym. 35 mins of cardio, 35 of weights/exercises
    Around 4 times a week although this week will be more
    5'5"
    I weigh and measure most of my food except fruit and most veg
  • KT0104
    KT0104 Posts: 33
    Options
    Aside from that mentioned above, it could very well be that you're gaining muscle - which would be a good thing! Trust me! What you need are a set of scales that measure body fat - keep an eye on that. Does your gym not have a set? Or look at how you feel in your clothes. If they're feeling more comfortable and a little looser, then you're probably replacing the fat with muscle.In which case, keep it up!
  • angelinhell
    Options
    That's definitely something I would like to look in to. I was reading up on dieting the other day and the article said "if you have a fry up and a danish on a saturday morning, it's only a problem if you then think "well, ive ruined it now, i might as well be bad for the rest of the day". That's how fat people think." I was like omg yeah that's just what I do! I know just sticking to a "diet" doesn't work for me. I have to change my habits for a lifetime.
  • angelinhell
    Options
    Actually I think they do have a set (which you have to pay for) would definitely be worth using that every few weeks. I feel like a Weight Watching failure even though I'm working harder than ever! That's the problem when you are only judged on your weight.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Wow, ok.
    Fitness goals - no idea. I'm more about losing weight tbh
    Spending around 70 mins in the gym. 35 mins of cardio, 35 of weights/exercises
    Around 4 times a week although this week will be more
    5'5"
    I weigh and measure most of my food except fruit and most veg
    Be careful with fruits and some veggies can pack a cal punch. I think you should weigh at least fruit.
    The weight is most likely water retention from muscle repair because of the new workout. This can take 2-3weeks to balance out. Increasing your water intake can help but not much.

I urge you look into a training program. Strong lifts 5x5, new rules of lifting for women, or strong curves are the ones I have enjoyed. Getting a program will make sure your muscles get the rest they need between days lifting to repair themselves.

Don't be afraid of the free weights! With them you can reshape your body!
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Aside from that mentioned above, it could very well be that you're gaining muscle - which would be a good thing! Trust me!
    NO!
  • angelinhell
    Options
    How heavy am I supposed to lift too? Is it just so it becomes a bit of a struggle?
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wow alright! You do seem very enthusiastic - i suggest lets focus that enthusiasm. OK i don't know how long you are spending at the gym but lets set a reasonable time 1hour a session? Again i don't know your fitness level or fav equipment but i suggest something like this. Start with Cardio.

if you like the rowing machine row 1 KM as fast as you can manage this may take 5 mins give or take. If you like the bike thing then ride that for 10 (heart rate is what you want rather than speed or distance - so as hard as you feel comfortable)
    20 mins on the dread i mean treadmill - you want HR now once again i do not know if you have any medical conditions so take this into account - 1.5 TO 3.5 % Incline - As an indication 125 heart rate but you can go higher if this seems too easy - not worried about how fast just want to get the heart going (don't worry about ramping speeds or anything we just want to get you heart and blood system going)

Now for some anaerobic training. For now select a few bits of kit, you want a weight (once again you should get a medical prior to starting exercise to see if there is anything you need to take into account). This is a basic circuit and the principle is that you should feel muscle burn and the last 2 or 3 reps should be at your limit on the third set - if you do it easy increase the weight if you cannot get through your sets lower the weight). Basic circuit (get a guy with "ask me for help" shirt to explain the equipment as you don't want to be in the incorrect posture - they will help you especially if you seem interested, listen and apply what they say. Stay away from free weights for now until you gain some strength and confidence.

Leg Press - these muscles are great as they engage large muscle groups
    Row Pull, Lat Pull down (correct posture is important for this one - don't copy others as many sit incorrectly on this one), Chest Press, Shoulder press - rest 30 seconds between reps - 12 reps max for 3 sets if you can do more then increase the weight.

Finish of with some stretch exercises (only ever stretch are you have warmed up never cold!) You just want a couple of basic exercises you can incorporate holding a plank position say 20 or 30 secs on and same again off for 3 sets, or use one of those balance ball things with knee kicks.

4 times a week "2 on 1 off" or you can do a cardio day in between if you like.

Hope there is some helpful info in there for you. I am just saying focus your energies and have a more structured approach. As far as foods goes just log everything in here any if you are gaining weight review your total calories and cut back a bit if you feel you need more energy for your work out then add a little - but i have found the recommended calories on this site should serve you well for now.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    In addition to needing to weigh your fruits and some veggies (those calories DO add up), when did you start the gym routine? Did you recently bump it up? If so, you could also be holding on to a little extra water for muscle repair. I can "gain" as much as 2-4 pounds if I'm sore from a hard workout.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    How heavy am I supposed to lift too? Is it just so it becomes a bit of a struggle?
    If you can do 12 reps it is too lite
    If you can't do 5 reps it is too heavy
  • angelinhell
    Options
    That's brilliant, thank you :D
  • angelinhell
    Options
    I am literally only on my 3rd week at the gym so yeah, my routine has gone from nothing to a few times a week! When i did squats for the first time I COULDNT WALK for about 3 days my muscles ached so much!!
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    I am literally only on my 3rd week at the gym so yeah, my routine has gone from nothing to a few times a week! When i did squats for the first time I COULDNT WALK for about 3 days my muscles ached so much!!
    This makes me almost positive your gain is water weight. Give it time and your muscles will become better at repair making the weight fluctuation less weight and less time to correct its self.
  • ChronoPhantasm
    ChronoPhantasm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    While it's true you could be putting on some muscle, it wouldn't even account for gaining half a pound. When I first started dieting, a little while before I joined the site, I hadn't been drinking very much on a normal basis and suddenly started drinking 8 cups a day, so I was holding on to water weight for a couple weeks. Keep drinking your fluids regularly and don't push yourself too hard working out in the beginning.

Also, I have hard time losing weight when I net 1600 calories and I'm two inches taller than you, but I do have a slightly sluggish metabolism compared to the BMR formulas. I net 1500 a day to lose 1 pound in a week and I track everything I eat that has calories.