body fat measurements

Options
Whats the best way to measure body fat?

Caliper
Measurements + online calculator
Body Composition Monitor - scale, hand held or scale with a hand held monitor attached

Replies

• DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Best is a bodpod test
    The rest are perfectly fine for tracking trends in this order
    Calipers
    Scale as long as you are hydrated the same each time
    Measurements
  • ThinWhiteDuchess
    ThinWhiteDuchess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The Body Composition Monitor is rather accurate, although you must be empty of all things in order for it to work correctly. Any water or food inside you will be counted as fat. When I was in hospital, they'd measure me with it both in the morning and straight after lunch - the difference was tremendous.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Calipar is the most accurate for cost and convenience for body fat

Body measurements are great for tracking overall changes - including muscle gain

So really a combo between the two gives you a great view of your progress (fat status and muscle gain)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your looking to get from the measurement. If this will be a regular measurement, like every week or so, then you can go with any of the ones you listed. The accuracy becomes a little bit less of an issue if you look at the overall picture the data is giving you.

Calipers are less affected by hydration/food/waste in the body, but will require you to have some help from someone who can remember the exact spots from time to time.

The body fat scales/hand held devices are easy to use and don't require a second person, but have more fluctuation due to the amount of fluids in your body at the time.

Measurements can mostly be done by yourself, but are prone to bigger errors from time to time. They are the most inexpensive and you can plug the numbers into multiple calculators and average the results if you want.

Bodpod, water displacement, or dex scans are a bit more accurate, but can be difficult to find/schedule and cost a bit more. They would not be a frequent measure of progress, but you are more likely to find the actual BF%

I have a body fat scale that does bioimpendence and I find it to be enough for my needs. I step on it around the same time each week after waking up just before my morning shower. Each week I take the numbers and plug them into a spreadsheet to track them. I also do a little breakdown where I take my weight for the week and multiply it by the BF% to see the body fat in lbs and the lean mass in lbs. Breaking it down like that lets me track the composition better and get a good sense if I am on track by losing body fat and keeping lean mass weight mostly stable.