Help! Working out when kids won't let you...

Options

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Any chance of having a friend or neighbor come over for a bit to help out or hire a babysitter afterschool for an hour?
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    some gyms have child care. I placed my youngest in the babysitting room and my middle was at preschool and my eldest at Kindergarten and did a jazz class.
    I was never in favour of letting them cry.
    Walking is good. Put the wee one in a backpack and push the 4 year old in stroller for a real work out.
    Baby walkers are not considered safe in Canada. Use a bouncer-like Merry muscles or jolly jumper or an exersaucer.
    Try it without sound-that sounds like a great idea.
    Have patience as this too shall pass.
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 ds with an 8 month old too. I work full time, so I've made us a little routine after bringing him home from daycare. He goes in the excersaucer next to me while I workout. He actually enjoys the jumping parts and jumps along now. I make silly noises and "boo" him during crunches. Try to time your workouts so the kiddos aren't due to eat or nap soon. Sometimes I have to bump the routine if his schedule got a little disoriented during the day. If it happens to be nap time, I get my workout in alone - minus most of the silly noises.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 ds with an 8 month old too. I work full time, so I've made us a little routine after bringing him home from daycare. He goes in the excersaucer next to me while I workout. He actually enjoys the jumping parts and jumps along now. I make silly noises and "boo" him during crunches. Try to time your workouts so the kiddos aren't due to eat or nap soon. Sometimes I have to bump the routine if his schedule got a little disoriented during the day. If it happens to be nap time, I get my workout in alone - minus most of the silly noises.

I think this is adorable and totally awesome.
    I've totally been in the same situation. Can't just do my thing and let them scream just makes me all stressed out, hate working out late or I am up all night. The only thing I've really found that works if I can't get in a workout while they are sleeping is kind of including him. Granted I don't get as good of a workout in but little things like tickling him everytime I squat playing peekaboo while doing push-ups. Whatever I can think of where I get to do my thing but he's getting played with too so not as much baby drama lol.
    this is also very cool

When I was a baby, I was apparently a little terror who wanted nothing more than to be held. I had a Grandpa who was more than willing to do that (still miss him). But when Mom and I moved away, she got a baby backpack and walked us where ever we needed to go in Baltimore. She had to sell her car because she couldn't afford to maintain/park it. So she carried me and the groceries; me and the laundry, me and the cat to the vet. She was in fantastic shape. I think she used that thing until I was 3/couldn't fit in it anymore. After that she had the little red wagon, and she pulled me where we were going.

ETA: this doesn't help with the at home workouts, but if you are walking distance to some places you normally drive...?
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I can't really workout at home either ... or in the evening. I have to go to the gym at between 4:30 and 5 in the morning. If I workout at home, sometimes my daughter will wake up early or worse - my dog goes crazy and keeps interrupting. In the evening after work, dinner cleanup, homework, - there's no time and still the same issues with the kids needing something or the dog getting hyped up. So it's the gym for me..... with the exception of walk/runs on weekend morning WITH the dog. Good luck!
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How about a bouncy seat or activity style center to keep him entertained a bit. Place it somewhere at a distance that he can still see you to know you are there. My home workouts are always a distraction but I just hit pause and consider it a breather! At least with the JM Body Rev, Jillian doesn't do waters breaks which I seem to need. Keep trying, he'll get the hang of your routine too!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I take the kid when my husband works out, he takes the kid when I work out. Or at least we did. Now I wake her butt up early and we hit the gym pool together. I started pushing her stroller in 5k's and then I put her in fun runs. Then when she was 6 I put her in jr triathlons. She will do her 7th one in march. I have fought obesity my whole life and I wanted exercise to be the norm for her. All the athletic families I know the husband and wife simply take turns every day until the kid is self sufficient. This includes the ones where one spouse doesn't work outside the home
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I may have missed this, I only skimmed the responses, but when does he nap? He must sleep for at least 30 minutes so you could work out?

My kids are 5, 3, and 1 and I'm home with them almost every day. I bring my son to preschool at 1 pm, put my 1 year old down for a nap, and turn on a movie for "rest time" for my 3 year old. On the days he doesn't have preschool, both the bigger kids watch a movie so mom can work-out. Sometimes they get bored and come see me, and they'll do the work-outs with me a little bit or run around like crazy laughing while I"m on the treadmill. Both of those things make me laugh so I don't mind.

I definitely couldn't work out with a baby screaming in the room with me. It would be way too stressful for me. I realize his needs are met and he's fine, but seriously. What a stressful 30 minutes that would be. :/

Oh yeah, and I'm also in MN and we like to do dance parties at our house. ;) We turn on music and just dance around! I spin them around and we have a good time! My heart rate definitely goes up!
  • skyfall91
    Options
    For me I wait til the kids are occupied with tv or toys then I slip a 30min workout in. If the baby is fed,changed and warm then I will leave my youngest who is now 15months old to sit in his cot til he sleeps (if its his naptime - he will chat to himself and his toys for 10-15 mins then sleep )
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You already have some great ideas here. I definitely agree that letting a baby cry does not help you enjoy your workout and just doesn't seem like the right solution. I am in the same situation with a 4 year old and a 3 month old who is cutting 6 teeth at once, so I am currently working out after the two are in bed. However, I know that doesn't work for everyone so here is another idea that I would use if working out at night is not an option...

If you try setting your little one up in the high chair with a snack or a bouncy seat with a toy and the attention span of your little one does not last a full 30 minutes, maybe you can do mini 10 minute workouts. Do a ten minute video (popsugar on youtube has a ton of good ones) and if your baby starts fussing, stop and give some attention and time to stretch out of the chair. Then do the next 10 minutes until you reach your goal. It might take you 2 hrs to finish a 30 minute workout but at least you got a workout as opposed to none.

This can also help your baby get used to the idea of you working out without having to deal with a long stent. After some time your little one will probably see that you working out is not that bad and you will soon be able to get a full 30 minutes in all at once.

Hope this helps!!
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was about 5 to 8 months old (she's 2 years now), I would put her in a high chair where she could see me and I could see her. I gave her toys and snacks (if it was snack time). Every time she'd freak out over dropping a toy I would quickly pick it up or if my hubby or my oldest were around they'd get it for her. I actually have a picture of her napping in her high chair because she got bored watching me workout to one of my DVDs. I knew she was safe and she was where I could see her. Also, if I laid her down for a nap and she woke up while I was working out I would let her cry while I finished.

This. When my little guy was younger I'd plan my workout around his lunch/snack time. He'd be in his highchair eating/snacking and I'd be doing my workout while he watches me. I may have to cut the workout short sometimes but meh that's just the way it is. Now that he's almost 3 that is a total different story..... LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    One can increase their N.E.A.T (non exercise activity thermogenisis) throughout the day and burn the same, if not more, calories than 30 day shred. And if time is pressed, do the 7 minute workout with high intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's been said, but at seven months both of my kids had something we could put them in that they would be happy playing in for a half hour. Activitiy center, bouncy seat, baby swing, something. Likely there is something like that for your kid too.

And to all those saying to just let the kid cry it out - that is not appropriate at seven months. In a year? Sure. If he calmed down after five minutes? Sure. But letting a seven month old scream for half an hour is _not_ doing good things psychologically.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You really just have to get the 7 month old on a stable solid nap schedule.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When my little one was that age, I had a hard time doing videos. I would try to put her in the pack n play or jumper seat with toys, but as soon as I started she would get histerical. I eventually figured out she didn't like the fast movements I was making, it upset her somehow. I had to switch to my exercise bike. Now she is older its much easier to distract her with things but a few weeks ago she was teething hard so I had to give up my workout sessions to just hold her all evening. I work full time though. That said, at 7 months, she LOVED walks in the stroller. Still does. Loves all the sights and babbles away while looking at everything. If she is having a particularly clingy day, I put on some music and just dance with them now (I also have a 2.5 year old). That is exercise too even if it isn't as vigorous as 30ds.
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 yr old and an 8 month old. I had to break down and get a double jogger so I can go for walks/ runs. Having my kids strapped into a seat is what works best.
    I have a home gym in my garage, and when I have weight days ( 3 days a week) I have to plan around naps. The naps dont always line up and I'm not always ready, but when my 8 month old goes down I know I have 30-45 mins to get a workout in. If my 3 yr old is not napping at the same time, I will put on a movie and have him watch it while I work out. Movie on the tv, workout on the computer.
    My hardest struggle was knowing that they had control of my workout schedule BUT it is important to me and I learned to work around it. It might take a little bit of work to find out what works for you and your children.
    Good luck! :D:smile:
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My baby is turning one yr old in 1 day, and I must tell you...as a new mom...I get where your coming from as far a you lay him down and he wakes up 5 mins later when your doing something..I cant take the cry spell for more than 10 mins its makes me stressed out and a headache I rather soothe him...However my baby doesnt just cry for the heck of it he usually wants/need something.

my baby thinks its funny to watch me work out...
    I usually take him on afternoon walks when the weather is nice so he can have some fresh air to....fresh air does everyone good, I work out at home alot so I bring his playyard on the patio and toys and turn up the music...hes content as long as hes got a clean diaper and has been feed...
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Your baby never naps ???
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Use the baby as the weight - kettlebell swings between your legs, up into the air over your head. All kids love this! Lie on your back and hold him above your chest, bring him in for a kiss or blow raspberries on his tummy, straighten your arms above him. Squat with him, support his head and dance with him, do big bouncy lunges to make him laugh, then when he's happy dump him on his bottom with some toys and do some cardio until he gets fractious, then pick him up and start again.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    That's what closets are for.

Seriously, take charge. Put him in a distant part of the house where his howling won't be loud enough to disturb you, and just do it. YOU are the boss here, not the kid.