Beer healthier than running?

Options
A video by DNews claims that beer is healthier than running. What's your opinion about it?
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCALn0JAULs

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I can't get to your link on my device. I will say I think wine is healthier than running. But that's just anecdotal :). :drinker:
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I claim that is bull crap :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    The beer at the end of the run is healthier than the beer had without a workout.

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES SON?
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    The beer at the end of the run is healthier than the beer had without a workout.

I love those Apples! I actually have 5 races scheduled this year that end with either Beer, Wine or Hard Cider!
  • 1waj123
    1waj123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which is healthier - so will have to do both! Entered the "Will Run for Beer" series this year
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

What if it's during the run?
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

Gotta be good, I did Tap N Run last year and signed up again this year. It's just plain fun, and I know that fun is good for me.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Toss me a cold one!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Gotta be good, I did Tap N Run last year and signed up again this year. It's just plain fun, and I know that fun is good for me.

For me it's usually the last 5 or so miles of the TC Marathon. There's a couple of St. Paul colleges near by where the kids can be pretty generous with the free beverages.
  • Mugiwarah
    Options
    You could view this from different perspectives;

Yes it is true that running (too much) causes injuries to the muscles and joints and damage the knees, whilst beer doesn't.
    But the effect beer has on your organs, running doesn't have, infact running is good for the organs and your body, metabolism & burns fat.
    Beer does the opposite of this, and the effects of beer can lead to the negative sides of running, being overweight will stress your knees and joints etc more.

At the end of the day everything comes down to moderation, everything done in excess is bad.

So with this said let's compare the 2 in moderation (...) Beer brings with it no benefits at all.

Winner = Running.
  • mreeves261
    Options
    You could view this from different perspectives;

Yes it is true that running (too much) causes injuries to the muscles and joints and damage the knees, whilst beer doesn't.
    But the effect beer has on your organs, running doesn't have, infact running is good for the organs and your body, metabolism & burns fat.
    Beer does the opposite of this, and the effects of beer can lead to the negative sides of running, being overweight will stress your knees and joints etc more.

At the end of the day everything comes down to moderation, everything done in excess is bad.

So with this said let's compare the 2 in moderation (...) Beer brings with it no benefits at all.

Winner = Running.

Actually this is very untrue. There ARE health benefits associated with consuming 1 - 2 beers per day.

WINNER = Running + Beer

ETA because I know it will be asked:

Better kidney function
    Lowers blood pressure
    Can reduce the risk of blood clots resulting in stroke
    reduces cortosol, the stress hormone

Just to name a few.
  • Mugiwarah
    Options
    And what are the risks associated with it? I'd rather run and stay away from alcohol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    And what are the risks associated with it? I'd rather run and stay away from alcohol

there is very little risk involved with consuming 1-2 beers daily...for a guy, pretty much nil risk and numerous benefits.
  • mreeves261
    Options

What are the risks associated with over eating?
    What are the risks associated with over training?

Your statement was to compare the 2 used in MODERATION. And in MODERATION there are actually very few risks associated with alcohol. Which is why many doctors will advise patients with chronic UTI/Kidney issues to drink 1 beer per day. Heart doctors advise 1 glass of wine per day .

Please inform me of the risks associated with MODERATE alcohol consumption.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If I run 1.5miles, I burn around 214cals.
    A pint of Guinness has 210cals.
    So...I get 12miles per gallon.
    Not bad for a model from 1965.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    What does 'healthier' mean?

Needs a better definition.

Beer can decrease your stress levels, that's healthy.

Running can increase your cardiovascular health and endurance, that's healthy.

Beer is usually associated with social gatherings and friendship, that's healthy.

Running can provide feelings of personal accomplishment and satisfaction, that's healthy.

Taken to the extreme both can be unhealthy, so...this article doesn't really say a lot!
  • Mugiwarah
    Options

What are the risks associated with over eating?
    What are the risks associated with over training?

Your statement was to compare the 2 used in MODERATION. And in MODERATION there are actually very few risks associated with alcohol. Which is why many doctors will advise patients with chronic UTI/Kidney issues to drink 1 beer per day. Heart doctors advise 1 glass of wine per day .

»Please inform me of the risks associated with MODERATE alcohol consumption.«[/]
    You ask we give :)

According to the American Heart Association. If you or a loved one has elevated cholesterol levels, you’ll likely see more benefit from beginning an exercise program or making dietary changes. Even in moderation, drinking can raise your blood pressure, and it has been linked to several types of cancer.

If you have high cholesterol and you have been wondering whether a glass of wine or beer would be harmful, though, you can relax. Relaxation is key, because an American Psychological Association study found that stress can raise cholesterol levels as well.

Sources:

"Alcohol, Wine and Cardiovascular Disease." AmericanHeart.org. 2008. American Heart Association. 3 Sep. 2008 <http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4422>.

"Dietary Guidelines for Americans." DietaryGuidelines.gov. Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. 3 Sep. 2008 <http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Dietaryguidelines.htm>.

de Jong, Hilda J., Janette de Goede, Liude Griep, and Johanna M. Geleijnse. "Alcohol Consumption and Blood Lipids in Elderly Coronary Patients." Metabolism. 57:9 (2008): 1286-92. 3 Sep. 2008 <http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(08)00156-X/abstract>.

Hansen, A.S., P. Marckmann, L.O. Dragsted, I.L. Finné Nielsen, S.E. Nielsen, and M. Grønbaek. "Effect of Red Wine and Red Grape Extract on Blood Lipids, Haemostatic Factors, and Other Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Disease." European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 59:3 (2005): 449-55. 3 Sep. 2008 <http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v59/n3/abs/1602107a.html>.

Ruidavets, J., P. Ducimetiere, D. Arveiler, P. Amouyel, A. Bingham, A. Wagner, D. Cottel, B. Perret, and J. Ferrieres. "Types of Alcoholic Beverages and Blood Lipids in a French Population." Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 56:1 (2002): 24-8. 3 Sep. 2008 <http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=11801616>.

Steptoe, Andrew, and Lena Brydon. “Associations Between Acute Lipid Stress Responses and Fasting Lipid Levels 3 Years Later” Health Psychology. 24:6(2005): 601–7. 5 Sep. 2008 <http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/hea246601.pdf>.
  • mreeves261
    Options
    AHA Recommendation

The relation between alcohol and cardiovascular disease is complex, and there is a well-known association of heavy alcohol consumption with a large number of health risks. Any advice about consuming alcohol must balance these two considerations. One approach is to recommend not consuming any alcohol at all. However, a large number of observational studies have consistently demonstrated a reduction in coronary heart disease with moderate alcohol consumption. Prohibiting alcohol consumption would deny a potentially sizable health benefit to people who would otherwise choose to drink.

If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. This means an average of one to two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women. (Again, a drink is one 12-ounce beer, 4 ounces of wine, 1.5 ounces of 80-proof spirits or 1 ounce of 100-proof spirits.) Drinking more alcohol increases such dangers as alcoholism, high blood pressure, obesity, stroke, breast cancer, suicide and accidents. Also, it's not possible to predict which people will develop problems with alcoholism. Consumption of alcohol can have beneficial or harmful effects, depending on the amount consumed, age and other characteristics of the person consuming the alcohol.

Therefore, these recommendations may be made for patients who are considering beginning or continuing to drink alcohol:

Consult a physician to assess the benefits and risks. These people should not consume any alcohol: anyone with a personal or family history of alcoholism, hypertriglyceridemia, pancreatitis, liver disease, certain blood disorders, heart failure, and uncontrolled hypertension, as well as pregnant women and people on certain medications that interact with alcohol. Any recommendations should be tailored to the patient's risks and potential benefits.
    For people who do not have the conditions mentioned in the first point above, moderate consumption of alcohol (one or two drinks per day) may be considered safe.
    Alcohol should never be consumed by individuals who plan to or are in the process of driving or operating machinery, including motor vehicles.
    The risks and benefits of alcohol consumption should be reviewed periodically as part of regular medical care. Recommendations should be revised when excess consumption, problem drinking or harmful consequences of drinking occur.
    Adolescents and young adults should be targeted for assessment and advice before they develop potentially harmful drinking habits.
    Cardiovascular risks associated with drinking alcohol

Drinking too much alcohol can raise the levels of some fats in the blood (triglycerides). It can also lead to high blood pressure, heart failure and a higher calorie intake. (Too many calories can lead to obesity and a higher risk of developing diabetes.) Excessive drinking and binge drinking can lead to stroke. Other serious problems include fetal alcohol syndrome, cardiomyopathy, cardiac arrhythmia and sudden cardiac death.

Potential benefits of drinking wine or other alcoholic beverages

Research is being done to find out why some groups of people seem to benefit from drinking wine or other alcohol. Factors being studied include the role of antioxidants, an increase in HDL ("good") cholesterol or anti-clotting properties.

Clinical trials of other antioxidants such as vitamin E have not shown any cardio-protective effect. Also, even if they are protective, antioxidants can be obtained from many fruits and vegetables, including red grape juice.

The best-known effect of alcohol is a small increase in HDL (“good”) cholesterol. However, regular physical activity is another effective way to raise HDL cholesterol. Niacin also can be prescribed to raise HDL cholesterol.

Alcohol or some substances found in alcoholic beverages may prevent platelets in the blood from sticking together. That may reduce clot formation and reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke. (Aspirin may help reduce blood clotting in a similar way.)

How alcohol or wine affects cardiovascular risk merits further research, but right now the American Heart Association does not recommend drinking alcohol for these potential benefits. The association recommends that, to reduce your risk, you talk to your doctor about lowering your cholesterol and blood pressure, controlling your weight, getting regular physical activity and following a healthy dietary pattern that is right for your level of activity. There’s no scientific proof that drinking alcoholic beverages can replace these conventional measures.

According to the 2010 U.S. Dietary Guidelines Scientific Advisory Report, an average daily intake of one to two alcoholic beverages is associated with a low risk of coronary heart disease among middle-aged and older adults. Binge or heavy irregular drinking should be avoided.

Red wine and heart disease

Over the past several decades, many scientific studies have addressed moderate alcohol consumption and its association with reduced deaths from heart disease in certain populations. Some researchers have suggested that the benefits may be due to wine, especially red wine. Others are examining the potential benefits in reducing heart disease risk of components in wine and other alcoholic beverages such as flavonoids and antioxidants. Some of these components may be found in other foods such as grapes or red grape juice. The linkage reported in many of these studies may be due to lifestyle factors rather than alcohol, as well as the consumption pattern. These factors include increased physical activity, and a diet high in fruits and vegetables and low in saturated fats. No direct comparison trials have been done to determine the specific effect of wine or other alcohol on the risk of developing heart disease or stroke.

Alcohol and aspirin

People who take aspirin regularly have a risk of stomach problems, including stomach bleeding. Alcohol use can increase these risks, so ask your doctor if you can safely drink alcohol in moderation.

This is from March 2011 and your first source the American Heart Association.

Many of the references you use are from 2008, it's 6 years later and I'm sure if I had the time or the inclination I could do this with the rest of your references. Many of the RISKS associated with alcohol are from ABUSE. At this point I will agree to disagree with you, I'm off to run and will follow it up with a beer after work

Cheers to you and enjoy your running! :drinker: