HRM for logging excercise calories?

Options
Hi all,

I have been estimating my workout calories for running, stationary biking, and JM videos. I've seen people say they log those types of activities with HRMs. Any tips for how to use HRMs and suggestions for models would be most welcome!

Thanks!
Jackie

Replies

• CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been estimating my workout calories for running, stationary biking, and JM videos. I've seen people say they log those types of activities with HRMs. Any tips for how to use HRMs and suggestions for models would be most welcome!

Thanks!
    Jackie

Hello!

I use a HRM for all of my training; I would recommend it. I will say that the chest strap models are the most accurate and that I recommend the Polar H7. It has the most comfortable strap that I've worn thus far, the strap is washable, and the monitor itself is waterproof -- so I can swim in it.

I will warn that the H7 is a little pricy, but Polar does make good quality products.

HTH! Good luck!
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    HRMs are recommended the way to go. Just remember they are not 100% accurate but pretty close, better then estimating your calorie burn anyway.
    I have been using HRMs for years. Polar is the most popular amongst people who are serious about their training. There are cheaper but then you get what you pay for.
  • frank6666
    frank6666 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Polar FP7 for quite some time now. I am really satisfied with it
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that HRMs are a good way to track calorie usage if you're doing sustained cardio (which qualfies the three uses you mentioned). However, they're not so good for things like weightlifting. Just something to keep in mind.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM for all my workouts. As the people said, buy you a Polar !
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Timex Personal Trainer Heart Rate Monitor

This is what I have. It works pretty well, even after going through the washer and dryer three times:embarassed: I got it in 2012
  • AshleyAnn9
    Options
    I love my heart rate monitor. I have the Polar FT4. I hear good things about the fitbit though.
  • thinfitfabulous
    thinfitfabulous Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    get a polar
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have a $20 hrm that I got from Wal-Mart that worked just fine when I used it. But wearing the chest strap was extremely uncomfortable to me. It may have had a lot to do with me being, ummm, top-heavy, though. But I have heard so many good things about the Fitbits that I ordered one for myself today.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It's discontinued, but I really like the motoactv (the HRM strap is extra, however) - it monitors movement too, so acts as a pedometer and can work out your running steps per minute etc - I believe it also uses this data for other stuff - so it knows when you're actually doing *stuff* and when your heart rate is high but you're not moving.
  • StephyGetsHealthy
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. It was relatively cheap, and it's super comfortable to wear!
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Last I knew FitBits do not monitor heart rate.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

No, they don't. They're activity trackers. I was just stating that I swapped a hrm for the fitbit. :)
  • swardrl
    Options
    I got the pink polar HRM from Amazon for Christmas. I had previously used a very cheap model, which required you to pause every few minutes and put your finger on a sensor. At the end of the workout, the watch supposedly calculated how many calories you burned. With the polar, you wear a chest strap. I can look down at my watch and see my heart rate, or how many calories I've burned so far, etc. I cannot say enough good things about this HRM. I LOVE IT! I find it insanely motivating to log my workouts and know that I am getting a reliable number for calories burned. This was truly worth the money and probably the best investment I've made on my journey so far.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

No, they don't. They're activity trackers. I was just stating that I swapped a hrm for the fitbit. :)

I personally use a FitBit Flex and am very happy with it. If you do not like the HRM chest straps, my wife is very fond of this:

http://www.polar.com/us-en/products/earlier_products/CardioSportsBra

She tells me that it's extremely comfortable and completely different that a chest strap.

Good luck!
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have a simple Polar FT4 but only use it for steady cardio activity. HRMs are not good for any other type of activity.
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Hello!

I use a HRM for all of my training; I would recommend it. I will say that the chest strap models are the most accurate and that I recommend the Polar H7. It has the most comfortable strap that I've worn thus far, the strap is washable, and the monitor itself is waterproof -- so I can swim in it.

I will warn that the H7 is a little pricy, but Polar does make good quality products.

HTH! Good luck!

Happy H7 user here too ... and honestly I didn't think it was that pricey for all it does. Found mine on sale too, so that helped.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

Hello!

HTH! Good luck!

Happy H7 user here too ... and honestly I didn't think it was that pricey for all it does. Found mine on sale too, so that helped.

I agree 100%; I meant pricy compared to differing brands that sell for about $20 (that do not do as much). I got mine on Amazon -- depending on where you shop, they could be upward of $20 more!
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Hello!

HTH! Good luck!

I agree 100%; I meant pricy compared to differing brands that sell for about $20 (that do not do as much). I got mine on Amazon -- depending on where you shop, they could be upward of $20 more!

Got mine for $58 last week at Best Buy :bigsmile: