wowsers! mapmywalk......

Options
Just signed up on mapmywalk today, more to log distance/speed than anything.
Linked it to MFP and took the dog out.
It says I walked at 5mph and burned 626 cals in 37 mins!
Now I know that is way to high.......I used to use Noom which put me usually between 3 and 3.5 mph and if I put that speed in MFP for 37 mins it gives me a burn of either 156 or 180 cals.

Do you reckon that's about right?
Think I'll ditch the mapmywalk app, maybe put noom back on for a bit......

Replies

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I downloaded it a few weeks ago to figure out the distance of my usual lunch walking route. I deleted it shortly thereafter when it informed me that after 10 minutes, I had completed a mile. Yeah, I have a hard time running that quickly. No way it was anywhere near accurate.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I deleted MapMyWalk because of the insanely high calorie burn miscalculations. I use Runtastic to map my walks, but use my Polar ft4 to calculate calorie burn.
  • becksxxx70
    becksxxx70 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks..........duly deleted!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had issues with it too - MapMyRun as well. I find RunKeeper to be more accurate though none of them are perfect.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This. Runkeeper seems to be more accurate. Much more accurate than what MFP would tell you if you manually entered your walk (or run). In fact, I created a custom "food" that only exists to balance out the unrealistic caloric credit given to me by MFP for some exercises.
  • becksxxx70
    Options
    This. Runkeeper seems to be more accurate. Much more accurate than what MFP would tell you if you manually entered your walk (or run)
    Is MFP not really reliable on just walking either? Figures it gave me earlier didn't seem way over the top......not like the mapmywalk one.
  • becksxxx70
    Options
    I've now downloaded Runkeeper.
    I walked the dog with the GPS on and it said my walk was just over 3.5 miles which was a little bit more than I thought, though I guess the GPS must be accurate?
    I've linked the account to MFP and its put in 49 mins at 3mph, 316 calories.
    However, if you put the same info into MFP yourself it gives 206 calories.

Is this because the average speed has been rounded down in the linked information as obviously it was averaging at more than 3 mph because I walked 3.5 miles in under 50 minutes? Basically, is the calories provided by Runkeeper going to be more or less accurate?
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with mapmyrun. I live in a city, so I've used Google maps to figure out my mileage. I've also tried Nike+ which has worked fine so far.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I've now downloaded Runkeeper.
    I walked the dog with the GPS on and it said my walk was just over 3.5 miles which was a little bit more than I thought, though I guess the GPS must be accurate?
    I've linked the account to MFP and its put in 49 mins at 3mph, 316 calories.
    However, if you put the same info into MFP yourself it gives 206 calories.

Is this because the average speed has been rounded down in the linked information as obviously it was averaging at more than 3 mph because I walked 3.5 miles in under 50 minutes? Basically, is the calories provided by Runkeeper going to be more or less accurate?

Why must the GPS be accurate? If the distance is considerably off there are probably several points along your route that pinged well off of where you were in reality. GPS best case is about +/- 10 meters ... depending on how you carry it and the antenna placement within your phone that accuracy degrades from that start point.
  • becksxxx70
    Options
    Why must the GPS be accurate? If the distance is considerably off there are probably several points along your route that pinged well off of where you were in reality. GPS best case is about +/- 10 meters ... depending on how you carry it and the antenna placement within your phone that accuracy degrades from that start point.
    I wouldn't say it was considerably off........I thought it was a little bit more than I had previously logged it at.......maybe 0.3 of a mile?
    I was more concerned re the calories which are quite different amounts........
    I'm leaning towards the lower MFP one being right.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I also use runkeeper and am extremely satisfied.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    I use RunKeeper for local walks, distances previously well known due to local map platting. Found it to be fairly accurate. Have not really paid attention to the calories though, because I am just focusing on distance and keeping my pace up.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I did mapmywalk last week and it too said I walked 5mph..um.. If I put the treadmill at 5mph, I'm running. Clearly it wasn't right.

I just figure out how many miles I walked in how many minutes to get my mph.. and then calculate for that.
  • becksxxx70
    Options
    Yeah, I dumped Mapmywalk straight away!
  • nightshutter
    Options
    Try google tracks on your phone
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Hardware issue, not software.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What kind of phone are you using? Consider getting a Polar H7 heart rate band that uses Bluetooth 4.0 and you'll get calories burned by you. It requires a phone/tablet with Bluetooth 4.0 or smart, and also requires a more recent OS; Android 4.3 or later if Android or the iPhone 4S and the 5's.

Edited...not 5S, but the 5 versions...
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I used my treadmill this morning 2.5-3 MPH for 33 minutes and burned 507 per HRM. I believe this because it seems to be about average for when I work out. Depends on weight and age and all that stuff. If it wasn't for my HRM telling me this time and time again, I'd never believe it.
  • becksxxx70
    Options
    Thanks for the replies…....will stick with it, see how it goes.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think those programs tend to overestimate.
    I use runtastic and whilst I eat back some of my exercise calories I tend not to eat all of them because I know that the calorie input would likely be off.
    People are going to say get a HRM. Its definately more accurate.
    I think if your just sensible about your eating and you know that mapmywalk is a bit silly at times then you will likely be fine with just you, your phone and your dog without spending the extra money.

Good luck