I hate being fat

Options
My name is clarissa and im 22. I am 5ft tall and weigh 160 pounds. I am ashamed to look in the mirror at my self. I am ashamed when I eat and feel guilty. I dont even consume 1000 calories in a day and still cant get the weight off. I dont feel pretty and I just want to cry because I feel so depressed about it. I dont feel like I will ever be good enough the way I am now nor will I be happy with myself untill is loose this

Replies

• littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are experiencing this. I'm a 48 mom......when I saw your picture, I see a beautiful young woman. You've come to the right place! There are so many people here that are/have experienced the same things that you have. There are so many here that have great advice about weight loss/exercise. I've found that exercising really helps depression. Do you exercise? It's also helped to exercise in a group setting with others.
    Plus sometimes it helps to set small goals. :flowerforyou:
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    under eating will not make you lose weight. eating the right amount will. and a combination of an activity.

um, you look hot by the way. idk where you see that you are not pretty.
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are experiencing this. I'm a 48 mom......when I saw your picture, I see a beautiful young woman. You've come to the right place! There are so many people here that are/have experienced the same things that you have. There are so many here that have great advice about weight loss/exercise. I've found that exercising really helps depression. Do you exercise? It's also helped to exercise in a group setting with others.
    Plus sometimes it helps to set small goals. :flowerforyou:

This pal has given you wonderful advice. You have come to the right place. I would just add that you should log every day, whether you eat well or eat poorly. If you mess up one day, don't give up, don't kick yourself, just do better the next day. Look for people on here to support you and if you put out a message and don't hear back, it might just be a busy day on the site and you fell down on the list pretty fast. Try again the next day. You will go up and down but if you keep your main goal in mind, you will achieve it.

I lost 40 pounds on here until I had an accident and gained 30 of it back. But I'm starting again and I know I will succeed and you will too! Chin up! :wink:
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you feel this way too. I ben there for too many years of my life no matter what weight I was. I can honestly say I like myself more now. Not just because I have lost weght again, but because I am doing things for my self and my health on a daily basis. I watched a video called hungry for a change on Netflix. There is this one person on there that said she is a lifecoach and tells her patients and herself to look in the mirror everday for a month to start off with and tell yourself good things about yourself. Find anything that is positive to say and soon enough you will find more and more things to point out and say. Use this quote in your approach to weight loss and getting more healthy "just for today" ... pretty soon the days will lead to weeks and the weeks into months. Blame some of what you are feeling on society's message that beauty is being skinny. Sometimes you have got to force yourself into new habits and being positive. Eventually you wont have to force yourself because you will have created new and healthier habits like loving yourself. I think it has taken me 36 years to finally love myself and like what I see. I could honestly stop losing right now and be happy. I hope your future self will be that way too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    starving yourself wont help in the long term
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    starving yourself wont help in the long term

This.

If you want the weight off and want it to stay off, eat more, exercise more. Starvation does nothing but set the body up for a depressing and shaming roller coaster. There are better ways to do this.

Also, try working on things that will help you love yourself. Self-loathing never made anyone happy. You can do this. It's okay.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! You are pretty, stop telling yourselft that you are not. I'm old enought to be your grammy and I still have days where I feel I'm not good enough - that's called being a woman. No one has yet to comment on my weight loss, but I feel great and I know I'm living healthy. You don't need other people's "approval" be right with yourself! I'm on here everday and if you need a grammy friend you can add me. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hi Clarissa! Welcome:) Like other posters I see a really pretty young lady in ur profile pic. The good thing is u can easily shift ur weight once u learn how. Find out the right amount of cals u should be eating (1000 is too few), google ur TDEE and learn from that. Find a nice group of like minded and supportive people and stick to MFP, it really does help. I also agree with the poster who says that exercise helps low mood. Best of luck in ur plight. xx
  • Iam4health
    Options
    I am right there with you. I'm 32 - soon to be 33, 5 ft 4 inches, and weighing in at 157! I'm tired of constantly feeling insecure about my physical appearance. I have a trip coming up - mid April - that I would really like to look good for so I just joined a local gym and working out 5 days a week for 60 minutes. I know eating the right amounts and types of food are the key to success so I'm on here in hopes to achieve it but I need support from others. Anyone want to be friends and we'll work together to be healthy?
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This may sound... gross but do you go poo regularly? (no need to really answer this) It may be that the food you are eating is low in fiber and it's being held in your intestines and if you eat stuff loaded with salt (make sure you read the labels) you may be holding onto water.

Based on your BMI you are in the same boat as me. You have a nice round belly where you can pinch a few inches. Believe in yourself that you can make this happen. Losing weight is easy, keeping it off is easy, eating healthy and making the time to get exercise is hard.

Do yourself a favor and log your foods here including condiments. Do not skip adding anything. Set your calorie goals at least to 1,500 and do not allow yourself to fall below this. Why? If you lose too much weight too fast you can end up with floppy lose extra skin that won't go away without surgery. Set a goal of at max 4 pounds per week this way you can have a cheat day if needed where you can plan your meals accordingly in advance.

IMO eat lots of protein, make sure you workout in the mornings (bodyweight exercise is just fine like platies search on youtube) so you can send your metabolism into overdrive before you even leave your home.

Set goals, research foods reading the labels watching to make sure you don't overdue it on sodium (this one is difficult for me) and watch the carbs. Make sure your foods have lots of fiber at least a couple grams of it if possible.

For instance I love the taste of Almond Milk on cereal. So I eat 1.5 cups of cereal with 1 cup of almond milk changing from different kinds as each box runs out (3 different types that I really like of Trader Joes Organic cold cereals). I try and drink 6 cups of water about a half hour to hour after this with my vitamins.

I also eat a Met-Rx Meal replacement bar for lunch with 6 cups of water. (yes I mean cups not glasses full) They are dry enough that the water helps bring out the flavor anyhow.

In the evening I like the Boston Market meals all of them are very tasty. I normally pare this with some type of vegie like Kroger broccoli cuts, Brussels sprout, even the evul corn (Dun dun DUN!!!!!)

I also use Himalayan salt since it's not so potent and contains minerals that normally are lacking in regular table salt. For me the taste of the Himalayan salt is considerably better than sea salt and table salt anyhow so it's all good and better for me.

I drink 16 cups of water per day to help flush out all the bad stuff, stay hydrated, and although everyone at work is sick coughing, missing work I am the only one there that has not missed a day. Be healthy not skinny and you will look the way you want in time.

Ultimately it's your choice when you feel you have had enough and for me it started with a couple months of research before I actually decided to lose weight. I am glad I did this cause I was able to figure out what exercises would work for me and what foods I love that I can incorporate into my daily life so that I would not binge. Once a month I have chip night where I grab a bag of doritos 11.5 oz throw in a can of jalapeño dip and eat only that over a full day as I LOVE this. It adds up to almost 2K calories but if you are going to lose weight you MUST enjoy your journey or you are doomed to fail.

Believe in yourself, have faith in your choices, and keep track of your daily activities here and you WILL lose weight. But ultimately BELIEVE in yourself otherwise mentally you will revert back to your old ways.

Best of wishes looking for new cloths as I know you can do this!
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!

I am in the same boat as you....but bigger! I am only 5'3 and currently weight 185lbs. I have always felt overweight and have never felt "pretty" by society's standards. I've always struggled with my weight and even when I watch what I eat and excercise a bit more, the weight is very slow to come off. You are not alone!!

I came on here to be more accountable....to track what I eat and when and what I can do to change things. Its a great place for meal and exercise ideas and even support. The process is slow....so be patient and prepared for ups and downs. But coming here is the first, and most brave step.

I have started focusing on things I really like about myself....like my blue eyes and my booty! LOL Find something you like about yourself and focus on that, instead of focusing on what you don't like....which is usually a lot more. This will have you feeling a bit better about yourself & make you more motivated.

Def figure out what amount of calories work for your body....if you eat too little that can hinder weight loss as well. And set realistic goals. I started really small, a little less calories, and a little more exercise (like parking further away from a store, taking the stairs etc) I also drink more water at work since it means more trips to the bathroom! haha. Anything too drastic and you could end up failing...I know I would. Do what you know you can stick with and def don't starve yourself, that's just setting up for a binge eating later!

Good luck and feel free to add me if you want! :flowerforyou:
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My name is clarissa and im 22. I am 5ft tall and weigh 160 pounds. I am ashamed to look in the mirror at my self. I am ashamed when I eat and feel guilty. I dont even consume 1000 calories in a day and still cant get the weight off. I dont feel pretty and I just want to cry because I feel so depressed about it. I dont feel like I will ever be good enough the way I am now nor will I be happy with myself untill is loose this

You are not alone feeling this way. Many of us have felt that way before, and in smaller doses, even now. There is a solution, you just have to decide to give it a shot. IMHO, here are the next steps
    1) Unless you know everything about weight loss, look at this as a learning opportunity. Decide to get coached and put together some teammates (friends) to do this with. You can sort of pick your coach, it will be after you are on the boards and do research on your own. To start, I'd recommend you use MFP as your coach.
    2) MFP has recommend calorie goals and macros (protein, fat, carbs, etc). Sign up to lose 1, 1.5, or 2 lbs a week, in the beginning, just try to stay under in cals. The macro categories are important, but first thing is first, finish days under calorie suggestions.
    3) Through your friends and teammates, see what worked for those you want to be like, then, repeat what they did.
    4) Do research (over time meaning weeks and months), look up groups "Eat, drink, Progress", IPOARM people, etc. Decide if you are going to give them a shot or stick with MFP. Many MFP'rs have started doing things they never thought they would do, your friends can share their experiences
    5) Success is NEVER a straight line, there are ups and downs. If you join a process, and stick with it, it will work.

Have fun with this, its an adventure to a cool place (better fitness and health)
  • trjlove75
    trjlove75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Clarissa,

Reading your post tugged at my heart. The reason you are not able to lose weight is because you are not consuming enough food. Your body is in starvation mode. When this is the case, the food that you are consuming is stored for survival instead of burned for energy. Since you have tried it your way and are not happy, why not try something different, not a fad diet. Just try eating whole foods and protein for 2-3 weeks and see what happens. This means changing your mindset..look at food differently...if it was not grown that way, don't eat it. Processed, quicky foods, and fast food are loaded with chemicals and fillers. These are typically very high in empty calories. You need to consume foods that will nourish your body. If you need help, I am here!!!
    We can work on building a more self confident you!!! Don't forget to be active, even if you just put your headphones on and walk down the street or in the park.
  • TurquoisWater
    TurquoisWater Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and started at the same weight. I have lost about 15lb in the meantime and will be kicking it up a notch in the near future.
    Eat healthy, high fiber food and get your protein (1 gram per pound of lean body mass). You will not speed up your metabolism by under eating. If you are losing anything right now, it's muscle, and you should avoid that at all costs.
    Add me if you want to share tips and support.
  • wyndielund
    Options
    I'm 34, 5'3, and weigh 193. Yes I have my bad days especially when some doctor tells me I am morbidly obese which if you saw my booty and my rack you would understand where at least 40 pounds is coming from! Even for my height and my age they say I should be 120, I'm sorry when I was 128 pounds I looked anorexic and my body was not proportional. My family kept trying to feed me cheeseburgers! I finally gained some weight and I was at my most comfortable at 135-140. Even at that weight I was overweight but I was healthy. I looked amazing, I felt amazing, and I could Taebo the crap out of anything! I just started eating a lot more veggies and chicken, cut out all the soda, and became a heck of a lot more active. Starving yourself is only going to make your body store more fat because it doesn't know when you are going to feed it again with what it needs. It is it's own little survival mechanism that makes it harder to lose weight unless you let it know you aren't starving. I have found it helpful to pack a lunch bag with lots of things that I can snack on though the day. Saltine crackers, cheese sticks, yogurt, V8 juice, trisuits, kettle corn pop corn........I could list forever!! You should snack all day with really only one "large" meal, but you need to make sure it isn't junk food or fast food. This is a good place to start, and if you need really good snacks and meals get on Pinterest. They have AMAZING recipes and workouts.

Oh and this is my favorite thing to tell myself on fat days " I am NOT fat, I HAVE fat. There's a difference!!"
  • snoodled
    Options
    YOU HAVE TO LOVE YOURSELF. Don't lose weight because you don't like being fat. Lose weight because you love your body and want to be fit. The weight will not come off easy so you have to be encouraged. You may be eating too few calories. Not sure what MFP is recommending for you but you need to eat. Your body need energy. I eat about 2000 calories a day.