StrongLifts 5x5, Cardio, Great Diet: 12 weeks

Options
Hi! I am in desperate need of some sort of routine in my life. I recently moved from Iowa to Texas and left my great 8-5 job for a waitressing job (new horizons, trying somethin different). I'm just unhappy without my normal routine, so I am going to make exercise my routine.

I want a 12-week plan, because that will end around my birthday in May. I am going to do StrongLifts 5x5 3 days/week and Cardio the other 2-3 days.

I am confused on StrongLifts. I have read about it, but I still have questions. Am I supposed to increase by 5lbs every day or every set? How should I warm up?

Also, I want help with determining a good goal. I always do better when I have a set goal/goal date. Because I'm lifting and understand that I will gain muscle, I don't have a weight goal in mind. I'm looking toward an inches-lost goal on my waist and thighs. My waist is about 41" at the belly button (widest part), and I have yet to measure my thighs. Do you think 7" lost on my waist in 12 weeks is too hefty?

Lastly, I need help with my diet. I love vegetables, lean proteins, fruit and whole grain pasta. I won't have a problem having a healthy diet, but I need help making a diet that complements my lifting schedule.

Here is my before set of pictures:
fbdx8j.jpg
2cglfcy.jpg
255nhn7.jpg

Replies

• daniellerusbult2
    daniellerusbult2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a great program, it really does do wonders for your body. Although 7" in 12 weeks seems overly ambitious. I can only base it on my results so far...started out at 30.5 waist and I'm now at 27" with 3 weeks left in the program. Starting weight 137.5lbs Currently 128lbs.

I tried to follow the program as closely as possible but eventually was not able to increase my weight by 5lbs every time. I got some fractional plates and increase 1lb at a time. You can also get big washers at the hardware store that weight 8oz each and use those. Or sometimes I only up my weights every other work out. As long as your adding weight consistently don't stress over how much.

Cardio isn't my favorite activity so it's limited to 20min of HIT or a 30 min run after lifting. I've been moving more towards yoga on alternate days instead of running. It has really helped with recovery and range of motion.

As to diet, just eat at a small/moderate deficit. Don't cut too much, you will need the energy to be a beast lol

Good Luck and breathe...it doesn't have to be complicated :flowerforyou:
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    Thank you! I actually have around 30lbs to lose, so I figured a larger loss in inches would be possible. I just want something kinda big to strive for :)

And I actually think I'm going to stick to a 1600-1800 calorie diet. I'm definitely cutting out alcohol 90% and fried foods 90%.

I just need to know when to eat what :) (before and after workouts mainly).
  • daniellerusbult2
    Options
    Bump