Replies

• moxxyrain
    Options
    I just take ibuprofin. I've read online that antacids cause constipation
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options

Ibuprofen can also cause constipation. Try to increase your fruit intake and water intake and go for a jog or long walk. It'll help move things along.
  • moxxyrain
    Options
    Did you cut your fat intake too low? This and too low in water consumption are the two most common issues contributing to constipation according to my doctor. At least .3 g of fat per lb of weight is the general recommendation for healthy hormone and digestive system. Normally I have to be on a low carb/high fat diet for health reasons and I was never more regular in my life than while on that!

I drink tons of water, that's for sure. The lessening of fat it my diet might be it .-.
  • moxxyrain
    Options

Ibuprofen can also cause constipation. Try to increase your fruit intake and water intake and go for a jog or long walk. It'll help move things along.

o.o ibuprofen, really? No idea. I assumed only strong hospital pain killers would do that. Thanks for this!
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Walking helps me when I feel bloated and nasty and also a soft belly message.
  • moxxyrain
    Options
    i'll try this. Thanks so much!!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fiber? If not, fiber one cereal has 10g of fiber per serving. I have to eat it every day or I can't go. Coffee will also help..
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure what the facts are, but personally, eating a lot of meat will cause a problem for me, too.. so when I start having issues, I avoid meat.
  • moxxyrain
    Options
    Are you eating enough fiber? If not, fiber one cereal has 10g of fiber per serving. I have to eat it every day or I can't go. Coffee will also help..

I actually just start eating this a couple of days ago! And kashi hot cereal (5g fiber)
  • kalel1100
    Options
    Before I started MFP I was having BMs at least 4 times a day. I now have 2 to 3 and it is significantly less. I too have the same feeling of being backed up, but I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Your body is changing, and for the better. You are eating a healthier diet so your body probably uses a lot more of the food you eat as opposed to before when you may have been eating too much (as was the case with me) and your body was just moving it all right along. So because you are eating less I would imagine that your body try’s to extract as much nutrients and energy from your food than before. This could cause it to stay in your body slightly longer than you are used to. This is all just personal theory, I am in no way an expert on BMs other than people used to call me the Mad S@#$er when I was in the Army because of how often I went...lol. The good ole days when a poop got me out of anything and no one questioned me.
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Calcium in antacids can cause constipation as well as an increased protein in your diet.
  • kimkay1985
    kimkay1985 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt every morning to help keep me regular and drink lots of water during the day. Sometimes a warm bath will help you relax so you can go.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    What caught my attention, was that you mentioned that you were drinking senna tea. Senna is a natural laxitive and stimulant and shouldn't be taken on a regular basis, just as you would not take any stimulant laxitive for more than a day or 2. it compromises the function of your bowel muscles. Below is an excerpt from an ariticle about senna and a link.

If you are still having problem getting regular, metamucil or other fiber based supplements may be a safer way to go. And yes magnesuim is good too. It also helps with soreness when you exersice. Just don't take too much.

"Little is known about the safety of long-term intake of senna tea. As such, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) warns against using senna for more than two weeks. Taking senna for longer than two weeks may lead to dysfunction in the bowels, according to the NIH. Additionally, long-term use of senna may increase your risk of muscle weakness, liver damage, and heart function disorders." For more on this here is a link . . .

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/senna/a/Senna-Tea.htm

Hope that you feel better!
  • Bethany0214
    Bethany0214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get just like that when it's my period. The whole week during that time of the month I barely go. Once it's over though usually everything catches up like it should. However, during that time and when I'm feeling backed up, I have an apple cider vinegar drink and that cleans everything right out. It's 1-2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar, 1-2 tablespoons of honey, and a 16.9 oz bottle of water. I actually like the taste, but some people say it's a little rough on the palette lol.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

o.o ibuprofen, really? No idea. I assumed only strong hospital pain killers would do that. Thanks for this!

Pretty much all medicines intended to ease pain can have that effect. Of course the big ones (percs, vics, etc) usually have the worst outcome (trust me, after countless knee surgeries I know .-.) they all can get you a little bit messed up. My medication for my migraines is a troublemaker too.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I also had this problem when I started MFP. For months......then I figured out I needed more fiber. I drink about 8 oz. of 100% apple juice mixed with 3 tbls of Metamucil. Now everything works like it's supposed to work.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Also, according to doctors, you should be going anywhere between 3 a day and 1 every 3 days.

My doctor told me that as long as your body is on a schedule and you eliminate in the same frequency then there is no issue whether you go every day or every few days.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Try adding an apple to your daily diet. Or, canned pears.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Don't rush to take fiber supplements. Eat fruits and vegetables.