What's worse sugar or sodium? High protein breakfest.

Options
Every morning i like to start my day with 1 1/2 cups of dairy. Usually a combination of vanilla greek yogurt and fat free cottage cheese. The past week i have been eating more cottage cheese because it has less sugar then the greek yogurt. However, today i realized theres a crazy amount of sodium in cottage cheese.

So tell, me which is worse in this scenario? Sugar/Yogurt or Salt/Cottage Cheese.
Any high protein breakfest ideas i would also love to hear about.

I am intolerant to eggs, gluten and soy though :)

Replies

• Sag2015
    Options
    Every morning i like to start my day with 1 1/2 cups of dairy. Usually a combination of vanilla greek yogurt and fat free cottage cheese. The past week i have been eating more cottage cheese because it has less sugar then the greek yogurt. However, today i realized theres a crazy amount of sodium in cottage cheese.

So tell, me which is worse in this scenario? Sugar/Yogurt or Salt/Cottage Cheese.

Do you have high blood pressure? If not, stick with more sodium. No calories in sodium :wink:
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter unless your sensitive to either sodium or sugar.
    Honestly I'd just choose what you like best.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yogurt and cottage cheese are both fine. Don't worry about things that don't matter.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    I think cottage cheese is a good choice. The Greek yogurt would be better if you get the plain, then the sugar is just from the dairy, rather than being added with the vanilla flavoring. Plain Greek yogurt takes a couple times to get used to, but if you add berries or a little honey, it's better.

Personally, I love my protein shakes that I make with 2% milk. You could also try having chicken or tuna, its seems a little non-breakfast, and will keep you full all morning!
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have you tried whey protein powder?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the non-flavored greek yogurt? They typically have a lot less sugar.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

The sugar is worse, unless you have salt-sensitive high blood pressure (most people don't). Assuming you're not eating tons of high-sodium processed foods, the cottage cheese shouldn't be a problem.
  • Amandabelanger614
    Amandabelanger614 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    to scott & angela,

i have allergies to gluten & soy, so good tasting protein shakes are not an option for me. I have a powder i use, but i bake it into my own power bars.
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try to keep the sodium intake lower, not because of health reasons but rather because if I consume too much sodium I retain water weight.

I eat plain greek yogurt with a 1/2 cup of blueberry's mixed in as part of my breakfast everyday. I try to keep my sugar intake to natural sugar rather than added processed sugar.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    i have allergies to gluten & soy, so good tasting protein shakes are not an option for me.

I use the Primal Fuel protein-shake powder. It doesn't contain gluten or soy, and tastes pretty decent made with just water. It does contain coconut milk, so you can definitely taste coconut, but it isn't overwhelming. It isn't cheap--about $40 for 15 8-oz servings, or $70 for 30 servings.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder of a good quality does not contain gluten or soy.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    If you get the 0% plain greek yogurt it has much less sugar than the vanilla
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    In the absence of specific medical conditions and baring the substantial over-consumption of either, really pretty much irrelevant.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In the absence of specific medical conditions and baring the substantial over-consumption of either, really pretty much irrelevant.

^ This. Let taste be your guide.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You should just probably buy a cow and save yourself some money.