How do you log your net carbs on MFP?

Options
I am a low carb-er. I'm adjusting/tweaking my goals today and am curious how other low carb dieters log their carbs?

I take the overall carbs and subtract the dietary fiber and sugar alcohols. It's just frustrating when I log something like my atkins bars (13g carbs, but only 3 net carbs) and it shows such higher number. I don't want to keep two diaries and MFP has been a real life saver since it's on my phone.

So how do you get around this?

P.S - I don't want to hear about how low carb is bad. Just... don't... comment if it's not a productive answer to the question asked.

Replies

• Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    there is a code you can put in the settings (i forget what it is but can probably google it) and it changes your macros for low carbing and it will show net carbs as a column. and when searching foods to log some entries are alreadey minusing the sugar alcohols.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i am low-carb as well, and have my diary set up to show Calories, Carbs, Fat, Proteins, Fiber, Sugars.

you either do the math with your totals, subtracting the fiber from the carbs, or simply use foods that are available in the MFP database that have been input as Net Carbs only, or input your own to add to the food library here at MFP.

if you go with the Net Carb foods in the database, be sure to double check them with your own math on the first go around to be certain they are good to go - I have found some of them to be labeled "Net Carbs Only" and when I drill into Nutritional Information I see that the item has been set up with the Net Carb result and still the full Fiber content.
    This messes with my personal adjusted total for end of day Net Carbs, as not all of my foods are exclusively Net Carb Only. If I want "Net Carb Only" I do not want the full fiber value still in there.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You can install this user script in your browser. https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124645
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    i am low-carb as well, and have my diary set up to show Calories, Carbs, Fat, Proteins, Fiber, Sugars.

you either do the math with your totals, subtracting the fiber from the carbs, or simply use foods that are available in the MFP database that have been input as Net Carbs only, or input your own to add to the food library here at MFP.

if you go with the Net Carb foods in the database, be sure to double check them with your own math on the first go around to be certain they are good to go - I have found some of them to be labeled "Net Carbs Only" and when I drill into Nutritional Information I see that the item has been set up with the Net Carb result and still the full Fiber content.
    This messes with my personal adjusted total for end of day Net Carbs, as not all of my foods are exclusively Net Carb Only. If I want "Net Carb Only" I do not want the full fiber value still in there.

All of this!

If you're eating things like Atkins bars you also need to consider the sugar alcohols too so you'll need to keep track of that.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I too am a low carber (20g a day atm) and Im in the UK - over here the CARBS dont include fibre, so we dont have to subtract one from the other - our packaging laws are different - our carbs are just Carbs = x, of which are sugars = x and fibre is listed completely separately

UK added NET CARB foods may show full fibre content, but over here, your NET carbs cannot be a negative number because the fibre isnt included in the carbs:

Carbs = 3g
    of which are sugars = 1g
    Fibre = 7g
    So ALL CARBS = 10g but because fire isnt included in 'caarbs' on packaging, you dont subtract the 7g from 3g

we are strange in the UK