Using a heart rate monitor when it's unsafe to wear a watch

Options
I just got a polar HRM (the exact model escapes me at the moment). I take pole fitness classes, and it's not safe to wear a watch (the band is fine). I just stuck the watch in between my sports bras last night (the humor of this is not lost on me). Does anyone have any others suggestions for tracking without the watch on the wrist? Are there any clip on HRM that work with polar bands?

Thank you! Sorry about any typos...posting mobilely!

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I think the sticking it in your bra idea is an awesome one.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I know when I box I just attach the watch to my sports bra strap.
  • russellcframe
    Options
    I practice martial arts and I like to wear my Polar HRM during conditioning but when doing striking drills with a heavy bag I am afraid the watch will get ruined. I've found that I can just set it on a table/ledge a short distance away and it will still pick up the signal. I'm not sure how far it can get before it will loose the signal but I've often set it at least 8' away without trouble.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm also a martial artist, and am not allowed my watch anywhere on my person during class, for safety reasons. (We kick and punch almost everywhere I could put it that wouldn't fall off.)

I asked my sensei if I could wear it to two classes, which he agreed to, and I averaged out the two totals and use that number each week for days I train. Sometimes I'm sure I burn more, and sometimes I'm sure I burn less, but it gives me something to work with when I can't directly track.