Is Stevia sweetener Safe?

Options
I have given up all sweetener but stevia and wondering how safe it is.

Replies

• Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have given up all sweetener but stevia and wondering how safe it is.

I would not use it. It was baned by the FDA at one point. I am sure there are safer alternatives to sugar.

And even sugar is fine. Moderation is key.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I use it too, but in small quantities. This is what I found on eatingwell.com

Until December 2008, stevia and its derivatives could be sold in the U.S. only as dietary supplements, due to safety concerns. In the 1980s, animal studies linked stevia with adverse effects on fertility and reproductive development and possible genetic mutations. But in 2008, the makers of Truvia and PureVia submitted research to the Food and Drug Administration regarding Reb A’s safety and petitioned for it to become a generally regarded as safe (GRAS) ingredient.

The FDA affirmed the GRAS status, but did not change the previous ruling on stevia. “Reb A is different than whole-leaf stevia or [other] stevia extracts, which can only be sold as dietary supplements,” says FDA spokesperson Michael Herndon. “Nobody has provided the FDA with evidence that whole-leaf stevia is safe.”

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/is_stevia_safe
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay. It's got a step up on splenda, doesn't it? Worse comes to worst, you could always opt for a natural sweetener like honey or agave nectar.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It's safe. It's from the leaves and doesn't effect insulin like artificial sweeteners.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20303371

"The genotoxicity of steviol, a metabolite of stevia extract, was evaluated for its genotoxic potential using the comet assay. In an in vitro study, steviol at 62.5, 125, 250, and 500 micrograms/ml did not damage the nuclear DNA of TK6 and WTK1 cells in the presence and absence of S9 mix. In vivo studies of steviol were conducted by two independent organizations. Mice were sacrificed 3 and 24 hr after one oral administration of steviol at 250, 500, 1000, and 2000 mg/kg. DNA damage in multiple mouse organs was measured by the comet assay as modified by us. After oral treatment, stomach, colon, liver, kidney and testis DNA were not damaged. The in vivo genotoxicity of stevia extract was also evaluated for its genotoxic potential using the comet assay. Mice were sacrificed 3 and 24 hr after oral administration of stevia extract at 250, 500, 1000, and 2000 mg/kg. Stomach, colon and liver DNA were not damaged. As all studies showed negative responses, stevia extract and steviol are concluded to not have DNA-damaging activity in cultured cells and mouse organs."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12533916

If you disagree please post sources.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of reading of various studies, the government documents, etc. and have concluded that as far as I'm concerned, it's safe. It's an extract from a plant that's been used for a long time as a sweetener by the natives where it grows. I'm a little leery of the common commercial stevia products - some are extracted/manufactured with chemicals and have additives in them that I'd rather avoid. I'm currently using a stevia product that was extracted using water only, and isn't bleached or processed with any chemicals. It's 100% stevia - no additives. I DEFINITELY have more faith that this is better for me than commercial sugar, which is in no way "natural" - it's processed with so many chemicals and all the nutrients have been leeched out of the product that it in no way resembles the original sugar cane (or corn, in the case of corn syrup). I do use raw unfiltered honey, maple syrup (pure), and agave as sweetners as well (mostly when I do baking) but they're, of course, not calorie-free.

I'd love to grow my own stevia - I tried one batch and they died (the leaves are so sweet!), but I would like to try again.
  • NCisME
    NCisME Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up for the Agave Nectar