Prescription Steroids and Struggling!!!!

Options
I have battled with breathing issues since November and have been on countless steroid injections as well as oral steroids. I am currently on Medrol for my breathing and will continue to be on it for 6 to 8 more weeks. As you can probably guess, my appetite is through the roof. I have not had any type of caffeinated drinks since December, the only beverage I drink is water, and I try to eat lots of protein during the day. My MFP set me to 1290 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week; however, I was literally starving all the time due to the medication. I changed my settings to lose .5 pounds a week and I am currently at 1590 calories a day and seem to still struggle to stay within the limits. I am not entirely concerned with losing weight while I am taking this medicine (although it would be nice), but rather keep from gaining any weight. I guess I am wondering if anyone else has struggled with taking medication that makes you hungry and how you stay within your limits. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you're not concerned with losing, set your calorie goal to your maintenace for now. Speaking from experience, the best way to make use of the steroids to correct breathing issues is to really make use of them; exercise often and push yourself (within safe boundaries ofc.)
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been on steroids...fortunately just short term, but they did make me really hungry. I didn't lose while I was on them, but didn't gain either.

I would say exercise as much as you can...for one thing you can eat more. Also it distracts you from food...gives you something healthy to focus on.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have Severe asthma and allergies, I have had so many steroids in my life it has affected my bone density to the point I have ostiopenia. -2.0

What worked for me is a protein that took longer to digest. I drank Casein protein shakes to keep my hunger at bay.
    I understand the hunger, it is a very bad side effect of Steroids.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Your type of steroids is nothing like those used by athletes. Not even close so stop using that as an excuse for overeating.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Your type of steroids is nothing like those used by athletes. Not even close so stop using that as an excuse for overeating.
    You've never been prescribed them, have you?
  • Scampimom
    Scampimom Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Not very helpful - OP didn't claim to be an athlete, and prescription steroids are known to increase appetite.

If you can maintain on a good daily amount of protein and unsaturated fats (nuts are your friends!), that would be what I would suggest.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

Obviously not...

OP, I'd set cals to maintenance and ride out the steroid storm.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I would just work out more so that I would have more calories to eat. It sounds like this is something that you will have to live with.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'd work out but at a lower heart rate-i too have asthma. I find when my lungs are crappy I can swim slowly, walk slowly and bike. All will help burn calories and yet still allow me to breathe.
  • amandaosborne18041
    Options
    I am not interested in being a professional athlete, I am just interested in being healthy. If increased appetite was not a side effect, my doctor would not be monitoring me so closely. Taking these meds have been a priority for me my entire life and believe me, I try my best not to overeat; that is the reason I am using MFP. I merely asked for advice from those who HAVE gone through it, so please don't judge unless you have been there and done that.
  • amandaosborne18041
    Options
    To all the others who have posted, I will definitely try to exercise more now since my lungs are beginning to improve. So far my lung function has went from 62% to 80ish, so I should be able to tolerate a bit more now. Thank you for being encouraging!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I have asthma too and totally sympathize... I was hospitalized because of it two years ago and had to have steroids 14 months ago and I'm terrified it's going to happen again... I have a chest cold right now and really worried!
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    no, I've used the real stuff and know the difference
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    If you're not concerned with losing, set your calorie goal to your maintenace for now. Speaking from experience, the best way to make use of the steroids to correct breathing issues is to really make use of them; exercise often and push yourself (within safe boundaries ofc.)

Definitely this- I have battled with asthma and allergies my entire life and I call it the "Prednisone Rampage" because I want to eat all the things. Every last one of them and if I don't get them, I get hangry something fierce. And it sucks a lot when you can't breath enough to earn the calories to do it. Be kind to yourself right now, do what you can with what you've got and remember that as hard as it is... Cardio will improve and continue to improve your lung function. (I managed to get myself off of Singular and Advair daily to just a rescue inhaler and claritan as needed with lots of cardio).

Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So sorry you're having to deal with this. I haven't had your issues but I can empathize. I've been really hungry lately and don't have an excuse. It's that achy, empty to the pit of your stomach hungry that almost hurts. I have also set myself to maintenance calories to try to get past this. My other go-to is the type of foods I eat. Along with raising my fat and protein percentages, I eat as many raw veggies and fruits as I can. I also do popcorn because it makes me fill full. Anything to fill me up. Good luck and hang in there!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Corticosteroids have the side effect of turning off the "I'm full" switch, or at least damaging it.
    In the future shut up about topics about which you clearly know NOTHING.
  • amandaosborne18041
    Options

Definitely this- I have battled with asthma and allergies my entire life and I call it the "Prednisone Rampage" because I want to eat all the things. Every last one of them and if I don't get them, I get hangry something fierce. And it sucks a lot when you can't breath enough to earn the calories to do it. Be kind to yourself right now, do what you can with what you've got and remember that as hard as it is... Cardio will improve and continue to improve your lung function. (I managed to get myself off of Singular and Advair daily to just a rescue inhaler and claritan as needed with lots of cardio).

Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Congratulations on getting off of the meds. Thank you for your encouragement!!!!
  • amandaosborne18041
    Options

Corticosteroids have the side effect of turning off the "I'm full" switch, or at least damaging it.
    In the future shut up about topics about which you clearly know NOTHING.
    I'll let you know when you can tell me what I can say princess.

I am not really sure how we got from needing advice on how to cope with a lifelong illness to talking about stimulants used by athletes. But anyway . . . . I wish you the best!
  • amandaosborne18041
    Options
    So sorry you're having to deal with this. I haven't had your issues but I can empathize. I've been really hungry lately and don't have an excuse. It's that achy, empty to the pit of your stomach hungry that almost hurts. I have also set myself to maintenance calories to try to get past this. My other go-to is the type of foods I eat. Along with raising my fat and protein percentages, I eat as many raw veggies and fruits as I can. I also do popcorn because it makes me fill full. Anything to fill me up. Good luck and hang in there!

It is pretty much the same nagging feeling on the steroids. I am trying to fill up on raw fruits and veggies and try to keep my meals packed with healthy proteins. Thank you for the encouragement and I wish you the best of luck . . . . you will make it through this rough patch :)
  • beckyhoo
    beckyhoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It is definitely a struggle and I feel your pain. It's truly a situation that calls for mental fortitude and a mind-over-matter type of attitude. You have to train your mind to know the difference between the steroid hunger and the actual, genuine my-body-needs-nutrients hunger. Then you have to summon the willpower to ignore the steroid hunger. It's a challenge, to say the least.

But it can be overcome...or at least managed.

I've been on prednisone for over 13 months to treat an autoimmune disorder. I started taking it the same week I started counting calories here on MFP. Perhaps my ticker can give someone else a bit of encouragement to show that there is hope for success. Best wishes to you! You can totally do this.